Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Census 1911

scoz

I am trying to find a Job Bennett service number 9947 KOYLI in the 1911 military census and wondered if anyone could point me in the correct direction to find him.

I am trying to find a Job Bennett service number 9947 KOYLI in the 1911 military census and wondered if anyone could point me in the correct direction to find him.

Can you give us a bit more information about him? His age and an indication of which part of the UK he might have been from.

Job Bennett was born in 02 Dec 1889 but we don't know where, he was about 22 during the 1911 census.

He enlisted on 13/01/1909 but don't know where.

When he married in 1910 to Minnie Harrison he was stationed at Mandora Barracks Aldershot.

He was awarded the Serbian medal for bravery.

He was given the Silver War Badge in 1917 under the Kings regulations.

His pre war life is a total mystery but I know his father was also called Job Bennett.

If I could locate him in the 1911 census I would know where he came from.

He died in the ministry of pensions hospital in Leeds 1926.

There's a marriage registered for a Job Bennett married Pontefract Jan, Feb, March 1910 ref 9c 219 possible partners Minnie Harrison or Florance Raby. It's expensive, but The Genealogist website can be very useful.

Mike

Really, he should be in Hong Kong with the 1st KOYLI, but he ain't.

9944 Frederick H Davison, 9945 Martin Cain, 9946 Robert H Crow, 9948 Clifford Punchard, 9950 Francis Miller

EDIT - Although he was married by then.

post-48020-0-45055700-1464635221_thumb.j

Agree with Mike "skipman" . Looks like full details are on Ancestry.

Born in Lancashire married Minnie Harrison in Pontefract W Yorks Mar qtr 1910 which fits in with KOYLI recruitment.

Thanks everyone for your input I am at a loss not to be able to find him on either military or normal 1911 census. Before his pre war service he seems not to exist.

One possibility is that, if others in the regiment were in Hong Kong, he was also there, but not recorded.

I have an interest in the Army in India, and I am aware that some British Army personnel known to have been in India at the time of the Census are not recorded. It is possible that the same could have occurred in Hong Kong.

Cheers

Maureen

Could this be his father Click (if it's any help?)

Mike

Thanks mike but thats not him, he married in 1910 and she outlived him by many years

One possibility is that, if others in the regiment were in Hong Kong, he was also there, but not recorded.

I have an interest in the Army in India, and I am aware that some British Army personnel known to have been in India at the time of the Census are not recorded. It is possible that the same could have occurred in Hong Kong.

Cheers

Maureen

I think you could be right

Hi

Which tree on Ancestry is yours?

You state you don't know where he was born.

According to the 1901 Census he was born in Liverpool and is shown with his parents and siblings at Church Lane, Walton on the Hill. You quote his d of b as 1889 however on the census he is listed as 9 yrs of age therefore born 1892. The BMD show Job Henry Bennett born West Derby 8b,410 1st Qtr 1892.

This raises the question from where did you obtain his d of b.? On the 1901 census his sister Edith is shown as 12 yrs of age, born 1889. BMD show Edith Bennett born West Derby 4th Qtr 1888 8b,407. (Actually 25.8.1888, tree in Australia)

He enlisted on 13.1.1909 so he would be 17 years old, so did he lie about his age?

Regards Barry

Something does not add up, have looked again at the trees on Ancestry and either they are all wrong or ...I don't know!!!

1911 census, the Job Henry Bennett listed on Ancestry with all the details above, including army service and his picture, is at 15 Church Lane, Walton, Liverpool with his father Job Henry who is the landlord of the Bee Hive pub at that address...even more mysterious. The post on another site lists his father's occupation as a Coal Miner (Marriage Cert)..what is his age on that certificate?

The SWB in 1917 tallies with the gap between his marriage to Minnie Harrison and the birth of his first child Eric in 1917 who married Dorothy Airey in 1951 in Pontefract..

PIC:-http://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/image/namespaces/1093/media/dce44b3a-9c5f-4959-8a87-e5c486681c4f.jpg?client=Trees

Edited by The Inspector

You state you don't know where he was born.

According to the 1901 Census he was born in Liverpool and is shown with his parents and siblings at Church Lane, Walton on the Hill.

You quote his d of b as 1889

Something does not add up...

02 Dec 1889 is given as his exact date of birth in post #3.

Where does that come from?

Is scoz playing fair ? Seems to have more information than he is posting on GWF.

scoz

Always best to come clean with all the info you have and where you have also asked for and received help elsewhere. Saves members here a lot of going over old ground.

Re Post #14 it seems that scoz's Ancestry family tree is probably a private one which is owned by Ancestry member SCOZ34.

David

When he married in 1910 to Minnie Harrison he was stationed at Mandora Barracks Aldershot.

I presume this was from the marriage cert? If so that will show his father's name & profession which can help confirm any earlier census records.

scoz it makes it much easier for all who are willing to help you, if you can share all details. Can you help further with Barry's post #14?

Mike

Hi

Job Henry Bennett (Jnr) was born 2.12.1891 and was christened 24.1.1892 @ St.Marys, Walton on the Hill, Liverpool.

Job Henry Bennett, father, licensed victualler, died 27.8.1915, probate to his second wife Elizabeth (nee Brown, m.Tyrnell should be Tyrrell, and widowed) whom he married on 20.3 1906. His first wife Mary C Clarkson, died in 1905. I can not find any links whatsoever to his occupation as a Coal Miner as shown on another site. Born 1851... In 1871 he is a butcher's assistant ,in 1881 he is a butcher and in 1891 is the licensee of the Bee Hive pub.

So ??? did Job H Jnr. also tell porkies about his father's occupation when he was married? Or did scoz just make a typo on his post about the d of b?

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

I think the problem is that the correct Job Bennett has not yet been located. It seems to me that Job Henry Bennett, Liverpool Regiment (T) #1992 and subsequently RE #241518 is much likelier to be the son of the licensed victualler.

The consensus on the ancestry trees seems to be that Job Bennett was born in 1889 which ties up with the 1926 death details and (possibly) the marriage certificate. Searching on Free BMD over the period March 1887 to Dec 1894 reveals only two birth results - Job Henry Bennett in Q1 1892 born in West Derby, a suburb of Liverpool and Job Bennett Bennett in Q2 1892 born in Potterspury, in Northamptonshire.

Was the Job Bennett that we are looking for not born in England or Wales?

David

Hi David

You may be right but we are working on the information originally posted.

The info. given by scoz is quite specific and clearly states 9947 KOYLI. The photograph of L/Cpl J Bennett alongside the Serbian Medal for Bravery also states KOYLI.

241518 Bennett was also a Sjt.

Until we find out where this information has come from we are all in the same boat! Somebody knows...but I don't.

The other Job Bennett Bennett born Potterspury 1892 was stillborn, 3b,18.

Regards Barry

Hi Barry

I am not suggesting that the Job Bennett that scoz is researching is not from the KOYLI. All I am saying is that the father that has been identified as a possibility (ie the licensed victualler), is more likely to be the father of 241518 Job Henry Bennett and therefore is not likely to be the father of the KOYLI Job Bennett.

By the way I could find nothing matching a Job Bennett born abt 1889 on the Scottish censuses or statutory registers.

It would be great if scoz himself could comment.

Kind regards

David