Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Least visited cemeteries (Western Front)

Don Regiano

Any thoughts as to why these single graves were left where they are and not moved to concentration cemeteries? 

I ask because my G-Uncle was originally buried in the village cemetery in Warvillers, then moved down to the main CWGC at Bouchoir after the war - a short distance away. However, there are still (IIRC) two other burials in the Warvillers cemetery. Why would they not be moved?

Perhaps my G-G-Grandparents were consulted and that was their decision, but my feeling is that once he was dead he had 'gone to a better place' and they didn't worry about his mortal remains. Certainly he was not mentioned, and nobody visited his grave until we went in the 1980s.

I visited Bellue Vue Cem, Briastre, some years back. It was close to the scene of 6th Manchesters action on 20/10/18 and there were burials there that I wanted to pay respects to. It's not a small cemetery - 132 identified burials - but it was well off the beaten track of most "war tourists". There were only a handful of visitor book entries over the previous years but one of them had left a photocopy of a photo of Richard Coppock, one of the Mancs killed that day. I took a digo-photo of it (and used it in my book). I also took a digi photo of the visitors details, hoping to be able to track down the descendent who had left it. But, no luck. There was no clue as a to family connection.

19 hours ago, Le_Treport said:

(...)

I ask because my G-Uncle was originally buried in the village cemetery in Warvillers, then moved down to the main CWGC at Bouchoir after the war - a short distance away. However, there are still (IIRC) two other burials in the Warvillers cemetery. Why would they not be moved?

Hello from here (4 km from Bouchoir) : when was your Great Uncle killed ? Have you informations about him ? Perhaps I could include him in my remembrance ( see the pdf here : https://somme18.com/projet/ )

kind regards, martine

• 6 years later...
On 04/06/2016 at 09:39, Sly said:

Hi,

I wonder how many visitors get to this one:

Talence Communal cemetery extension, near Bordeaux in Gironde.

post-20268-0-75594800-1465025914_thumb.j

It contains 12 WW1 graves, 10 canadians and two americans.

The information is quite vague about them, some source say that they were employed as medical staff in makeshift wartime hospitals in and near Talence but most of the canadians were members of the Canadian Forestry Corps employed to cut down forests in the Landes to produce wood needed for use on the Western Front. Further sources suggest that they were killed during a mine clearance operation in the Gironde Estuary…

Sly

Hello

yes Talence had several hospitals dedicated to war wounded.

But there were no mines in the Gironde estuary during WW1.

Pascal