Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Least visited cemeteries (Western Front)

Don Regiano

Does anyone know what happens to the CWGC visitor books when they get filled up?

It seems a shame that a potential source of contact is not made more use of. I once posed the question about the possibility of compiling data that could be checked about visitors, that may then lead to family members establishing contact with lost relatives.

Very unlikely I know as it would require money/volunteers to record all the information. The visitors book would benefit by a column of contact info.

An unrealistic hope I fear.

Kevin

I don't know what they used to do with them in the past but someone in Belgium in a position to know told me a few years ago that he was under the impression that the CWGC now just quietly throw the old visitors' books away. He didn't think that they recorded any visitor statistics or the like, as many people fondly believe. I'd like to think he was wrong.

Is this just one grave ?

Tony

Very sorry.

Clicked the wrong image. Here's to the left of the Bunker.

Cheers

post-49107-0-39415000-1464122116_thumb.j

Very sorry.

Clicked the wrong image. Here's to the left of the Bunker.

Cheers

Great.... Thank you for clarifying.

Tony

Also, i wonder if this one has ever been on any Forum members list to visit?

Or location Known.

Cheers Pals.

Hibers Trench Cemetery.

post-49107-0-16595300-1464124111_thumb.j

Or location Known.

Yes ... been to it a couple of times (and past it even more...but can't remember why!). Never actually been on a 'to visit' list as such for me (few are) though. Just happened to be passing.

Dave

post-357-0-23777800-1464125237_thumb.jpg

To say that so many Brits stay in the area (and hundreds per year staying just a 10 minute walk away) and drive past the CWGC signs giving direction whilst visiting another war relic, I can't say that I've ever seen a single living soul visiting this cemetery even though I visit it once a year and walk past it about 6 or 7 times within a 3 or 4 day period every summer... Bleue Maison near Eperlecques...

Dave

post-357-0-54977200-1464126352_thumb.jpg

Not too far away from Bleue Maison, I think that Ruminghem Chinese Cemetery is probably one of the less well visited too...

post-357-0-86023300-1464126677_thumb.jpg

When we made our first visit which was mainly to find the graves of family members, we visited 12 cemeteries and only at Lijssenthoek and Delville Wood was there anyone else to be seen.

Kevin

I don't know what they used to do with them in the past but someone in Belgium in a position to know told me a few years ago that he was under the impression that the CWGC now just quietly throw the old visitors' books away. He didn't think that they recorded any visitor statistics or the like, as many people fondly believe. I'd like to think he was wrong.

For the French cemeteries, when last heard, they went to the Historial to go into their archives. Belgium - possibly IFF in Ypres?

A little off the beaten track, not the smallest but a nice one but doesn't seem to be much visited - probably as well as just about enough room for one car to park (mainly) off the single track road - Ruyaulcourt military cemetery to the East of Bapaume.

post-41609-0-68268200-1464179994_thumb.j

I would think it is the many civilian cemeteries and churchyards that are much, much less visited, even in areas where there are well visited military cemeteries.

There's nothing wrong with visiting the principal memorials and cemeteries, which I do. However I find staying off the beaten track and going to these less visited locations much more rewarding.

Regards,

Ian

Fair points Ian.

We visited Froidmont Communal Cemetery (not the nicest) to pay our respects to 2Lt Leslie Ashby, 2/5 Lancashire Fusiliers. He is one of 9 buried there and his concentration documents state he was identified, inter alia, from his civilian boots.. However, someone had visited before us to see 40941 Pte A W Timson, Royal Lancasters as can be seen from the grave nearest to the camera. Leslie's grave is the seventh.

post-41609-0-42090800-1464181634_thumb.j

I would think it is the many civilian cemeteries and churchyards that are much, much less visited, even in areas where there are well visited military cemeteries.

And not just those with a small number of graves. Here's just one of the plots within Beuvry Communal Cemetery - within the area of the Battle of Loos.

post-1-0-35417400-1464181817_thumb.jpg

In case you were wondering - those are my footprints!

You could also try reading the relatively new book by David Blanchard on the Aisne Battle of 1918.

we visit many cemeteries and churchyards when over, the large ones have a fair impact on the senses but we like the small village singles, the ones most forget. I would guess many of them dont ever get visited by family.

when we retire over one of the things we intend to do is visit again and where possible help keep them uptogether.

St Jan-ter-Biezen Communal - between Watou and Poperinge.

Final resting place of Alfred Smith of the Gloucesters.

Always replace my cross by his headstone when I am passing, not sure many pilgrims pass this way.

Hi,

I wonder how many visitors get to this one:

Talence Communal cemetery extension, near Bordeaux in Gironde.

post-20268-0-75594800-1465025914_thumb.j

It contains 12 WW1 graves, 10 canadians and two americans.

The information is quite vague about them, some source say that they were employed as medical staff in makeshift wartime hospitals in and near Talence but most of the canadians were members of the Canadian Forestry Corps employed to cut down forests in the Landes to produce wood needed for use on the Western Front. Further sources suggest that they were killed during a mine clearance operation in the Gironde Estuary…

Sly

Or location Known.

Cheers Pals.

Hibers Trench Cemetery.

A few years back I visited Hibers Trench as part of a solo "Walking Arras" field trip.

Rue de Bacquerlot Number One? Near Laventie. I could only visit on a Sunday and it is a ten mile walk from La Bassee, one enters via a farmers gate and must cross his yard (through ample amounts of cow dung and mud) to reach a small cemetery. It snowed as I got there just before dusk. Bragging rights in a Armentieres pub afterwards, tired, over a pint.

Yes Arras, it would seem not much visited.

But i had to wait until the CWGC chaps had finished there work before taking this..

post-49107-0-59989000-1465071430_thumb.j

And..

post-49107-0-35467100-1465071673_thumb.j

Sorry .

post-49107-0-47285000-1465072252_thumb.j

Further sources suggest that they were killed during a mine clearance operation in the Gironde Estuary…

What are your sources for this? They all died on separate days, between October 1917 to October 1918.

Just taking two names at random: A/Capt George Gilbert Bricker died after contracting influenza in 1918. Pte William Edward Chisholm died from septicaemia having been admitted to hospital with a carbuncle on his neck in 1917. At a guess, I would say that the rest of those mentioned in Sly's post also probably died from medical conditions various.

TR