Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Least visited cemeteries (Western Front)

Don Regiano

considering how close to the A1 it is, it must be seen by thousands - yet no visitors

when i visited it - France had had the most monsterous rain for the best part of a week! it was full of the sand from the surrounding fields and the CWGC gardeners were trying to shovel it out

that the rest of those mentioned in Sly's post also probably died from medical conditions various.

Yes Terry, what I though Sly had discovered was ten men who died on the same day, clearing a mine.

An earlier post mentioned Cuckoo Passage, which is truly a lovely little cemetery and certainly hadn't been visited for a while when our group tramped there a couple of years ago. But my own major regret is not to have ever bothered to stop at some of the wayside cems in the towns and villages en route to the battlefields; the suffering that is represented by those headstones is probably more extreme than many of the actual battlefield graves. And, to my shame (and something that this thread has prompted me to remedy next March) I haven't even been to Albert's cemetery, despite having visited that special town a dozen times or so

• 9 months later...
Guest Rick Brown
On 2016-06-04 at 03:39, Sly said:

Hi,

I wonder how many visitors get to this one:

Talence Communal cemetery extension, near Bordeaux in Gironde.

talence.jpg

It contains 12 WW1 graves, 10 canadians and two americans.

The information is quite vague about them, some source say that they were employed as medical staff in makeshift wartime hospitals in and near Talence but most of the canadians were members of the Canadian Forestry Corps employed to cut down forests in the Landes to produce wood needed for use on the Western Front. Further sources suggest that they were killed during a mine clearance operation in the Gironde Estuary…

Sly

Guest Rick Brown

Hi , I just joined this group searching for information about this cemetery .  My Great Uncle is one of the Canadian soldiers  buried in here . His name was William Greg Cunningham , Canadian Forestry Corps . He died of  pneumonia on May 5, 1918 . One day I will get there so that I can pay my Respects and Thanks . Thanks for posting this picture . Cheers .

IMG_7820.PNG

Every time I visit Mendinghem Military Cemetery, I'm the only one there. Never even seen a gardener!

I think from the short time we have been visiting France maybe only Thiepval, The Ancre, Beaumont Hamel, Delville and one or two more we have seen other visitors. we spend a lot of time in the communal churchyards and never see a living soul !!!, maybe that's how it should be. 

23 hours ago, suesalter1 said:

Every time I visit Mendinghem Military Cemetery, I'm the only one there. Never even seen a gardener!

I went in 2014; there was a team fixing the path/ track getting to the cemetery but no one there. It's very quiet for a larger cemetery, but I guess as it's not quite in the Salient it's not on the 'beaten track'.

My great uncle is buried there, so I visit every time I'm in the Salient. Was there last October on  the 100th anniversary of his death. Very special visit.

Sue.

Always visit Mendinghem, Dozinghem and Bandagehem on my visitis. They are usually quiet and have had lots of chats with gardeners on occasions.

On 25/03/2017 at 16:41, chaz said:

I think from the short time we have been visiting France maybe only Thiepval, The Ancre, Beaumont Hamel, Delville and one or two more we have seen other visitors. we spend a lot of time in the communal churchyards and never see a living soul !!!, maybe that's how it should be. 

It's strange because I've been at Beaumont-Hamel today and it was crowded ! But the reason may be that it was our first fine spring sunday.

I'm sharing the pictures I took today here :

17554752_339620526433325_1445057825_n.jpg

17554795_339620389766672_2001079529_n.jpg

16991029_339620413100003_427742225_o.jpg

17547463_339620386433339_65220895_o.jpg

17547264_339620549766656_1514058092_o.jpg

Edited by Adèle Antonia

I did say apart from, yes those usually have cars or coach parties, most places we go we are lucky to see rabbits and the rare spotted gardner 

On 24/03/2017 at 21:17, suesalter1 said:

I have seen gardeners working there Sue, once, and I have seen one other visitor other than the wife and me, once.but when I have read the visitors book there have been many, and we have visited Mendinghem Cemetry many times since 1995  

Gerwyn

Nice to know I'm not the only visitor then! Must visit Bandagehem and Dozinghem next year I go, which is probably this July! Can't wait!

Sue.

19 minutes ago, Adèle Antonia said:

It's strange because I've been at Beaumont-Hamel today and it was crowded ! But the reason may be that it was our first fine spring sunday.

I'm sharing the pictures I took today here :

Haven't been there for a few years now Adele, thank you for sharing them

You're welcome pioneecorps !

11 minutes ago, chaz said:

I did say apart from, yes those usually have cars or coach parties, most places we go we are lucky to see rabbits and the rare spotted gardner 

I love the peace you find there. There is a special way to be alone and sharing something with the other visitors, if there are any, at the same time.

My grandfather restored a French soldier's grave which was abandoned in his village, would you enjoy seeing a picture of it ?

Edited by Adèle Antonia

12 minutes ago, suesalter1 said:

Nice to know I'm not the only visitor then! Must visit Bandagehem and Dozinghem next year I go, which is probably this July! Can't wait!

Sue.

I hope to be at my Great Uncles grave side, on the 5th of June this year, he's buried in Mendinghem Cemetery, he died of wounds on the 5th of June 1917

Gerwyn

ADDED, I have visited  Bandagehem and Dozinghem Cemeteries.

Edited by pioneecorps

Hi Adèle

I wonder if Chaz is talking about a cemetery just less than a kilometre north of the edge of the Newfoundland Park. It is called Beaumont-Hamel Military Cemetery and is just west of the village on the D163 towards Auchonvillers. You can walk to it from the little gate at the back of the Newfoundland Park. On the way you pass Hawthorn Ridge No. 1 cemetery which is a very little visited one, then on past the twin mine craters on the end of the ridge. You may be familiar with this photograph from 100 years ago, it is the crater being formed:

Hawthorn Ridge Mine - IWM object 205194574.jpg

The cemetery that I think Chaz mentions is just below the craters across the road. It was the first cemetery I visited on the Somme many years ago; I still go there and have never met anyone else on my various visits. This is the cemetery viewed from near the crater: (the photograph is by my friend John Knight who lives in Martinpuich and posts on the forum as Frajohn - it comes from a thread about Poppies which contains lots of his superb photographs).

Poppies at Beaumont Hamel.JPG

Pete.

P.S. I think your English is very good too.

Edited by Fattyowls
Typo

The best way to see if a cemetery is visited is to look at the visitor's book, where visitors make a statement. I live near the little CWGC cemetery of Bouchoir, drive along very often, never see anybody, but the visitor's book shows there were many visitors (I'll take a picture soon).

kind regards from the Somme, martine

As I already said, my knowledge about the WW1 is not very developed, so I thank you again to help me catch up, Pete.

I was thinking about the New Found Land cemetaries which contains also some Scottish graves, all around the no man's land. In addition to the school coaches, I met a lot of English and Canadian people.

The picture is gorgeous and I do of course recognise the typical land of Picardy !

PS : and thank you again for my English level, I try to do the best I can :lol:

Edited by Adèle Antonia

34 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Hi Adèle

I wonder if Chaz is talking about a cemetery just less than a kilometre north of the edge of the Newfoundland Park. It is called Beaumont-Hamel Military Cemetery and is just west of the village on the D163 towards Auchonvillers. You can walk to it from the little gate at the back of the Newfoundland Park. On the way you pass Hawthorn Ridge No. 1 cemetery which is a very little visited one, then on past the twin mine craters on the end of the ridge. You may be familiar with this photograph from 100 years ago, it is the crater being formed:

Hawthorn Ridge Mine - IWM object 205194574.jpg

The cemetery that I think Chaz mentions is just below the craters across the road. It was the first cemetery I visited on the Somme many years ago; I still go there and have never met anyone else on my various visits. This is the cemetery viewed from near the crater: (the photograph is by my friend John Knight who lives in Martinpuich and posts on the forum as Frajohn - it comes from a thread about Poppies which contains lots of his superb photographs).

Poppies at Beaumont Hamel.JPG

Pete.

P.S. I think your English is very good too.

Hello Pete

I have visited both the Cemetery and the crater back in 2003, we had to fight our way through the bramble to get to the crater. Great photos.

11 minutes ago, Adèle Antonia said:

As I already said, my knowledge about the WW1 is not very developed, so I thank you again to help me catch up, Pete.

I was thinking about the New Found Land cemetaries which contains also some Scottish graves, all around the no man's land. In addition to the school coaches, I met a lot of English and Canadian people.

The picture is gorgeous and I do of course recognise the typical land of Picardy !

PS : and thank you again for my English level, I try to do the best I can :lol:

Picardie is lovely and John is a great photographer. Have a look for some of his other threads to see what I mean. He did one in I think January or February of some of the cemeteries when the temperature was -5 C, they were excellent. Your photographs are very good; there is something lovely about the first really warm day in spring. The Newfoundland Park has many Scottish graves due to the attack on Y Ravine by the 51st Highland Division (I think) in November 1916. Y Ravine is right at the far end of the park.

Pete.

This is why I hate forum and texts, you can't explain properly. My point being the big ones get the visitors the small ones rarely get anyone. As.for visitors books,  most I go to don't have them or are crawling with wildlife. Also how many people carry pens nowadays. I'm on a phone now. In 3 hours I will leave for france again and will still not fill in a visitors book while there.

2 minutes ago, chaz said:

This is why I hate forum and texts, you can't explain properly. My point being the big ones get the visitors the small ones rarely get anyone. As.for visitors books,  most I go to don't have them or are crawling with wildlife. Also how many people carry pens nowadays. I'm on a phone now. In 3 hours I will leave for france again and will still not fill in a visitors book while there.

I take your point Chaz; I posted about the nearness of Hawthorn Ridge No. 1 to the Newfoundland Park for that reason. Hope you have a great time in France; the weather looks excellent from Adèle's photos. At least your thread is helping to draw attention to some of those deserving of more visitors.

Pete.

Remember, one must carry a pen, The pen is mightier than the sword  Chaz;)

Gerwyn