Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Least visited cemeteries (Western Front)

Don Regiano

As we are talking about little cemeteries, I went to the Louvencourt's twice this past week (once with my mother, and once with my dad) to see Roland Leighton's grave.

2.jpg

Hi all. This is the solitary cwg grave in Gonnelieu communal cemetery. L.Cpl. H. Abernethy. Grenadier Guards. 1st Dec 1917. The kerb around the grave has the inscription

Concession a Perpetuite . The first cwg grave I have seen with a kerb around. I don't think he gets many visits.

Regards

phone pics 047.JPG

phone pics 048.JPG

maybe I will do, but we keep going back to re visit ones we have been to in the past, I would hate to see my name on every page...:o

but then its nice to see someone you know , isnt it Michelle !!! I feel Im stalking you :wub:

we were down St Quentin way taking pics for another member when we called in to a cemetery we passed by. the gardners all moved to the other end so we could have peace.

I opened the visitors box ,as we always do, and it was full, I mean FULL, of ladybirds. must of been 500 + in there getting ready for winter. obviously no one had been in to look at the book for a while!!

Round..

many of the 'local' communal churchyards have the surrounds, I would nearly go to say they all have. Its only the big cemeteries that dont....but no doubt I will be corrected.

anyway, its 20 to 12 and I finish work at 12 so thats it, wont be back until next saturday. back for a nightshift again, at least it pays for the house.... and future retirement.

11 hours ago, mva said:

Sad to see.... My G-uncle is here, and I visit whenever I can, and often see MY previous visits still in the book, with (relatively) few in between.

Although it's on a busy road the fighting in 1918 was on the very southern edge of the British (i.e. Canadian 1st Division) sector. I think the road itself was the boundary between the British and French. 

I never sign visitors books anywhere. I prefer anonymity and I have, in the past, seen forum members making fun of some of the comments left by visitors. Therefore, as I can't think of anything but banalities to write, I don't write anything. Lack of signatures doesn't mean that no-one has visited.

Gwyn

Indeed, Dragon.

20 hours ago, Le_Treport said:

Sad to see.... My G-uncle is here, and I visit whenever I can, and often see MY previous visits still in the book, with (relatively) few in between.

Although it's on a busy road the fighting in 1918 was on the very southern edge of the British (i.e. Canadian 1st Division) sector. I think the road itself was the boundary between the British and French. 

bonjour, le Treport, I see your G-uncle is buried in Bouchoir ; I'll commemorate soldiers died here, would you mind giving me some infos about him ? Please feel free to mp, thanks, martine

When visiting a grave at St Pol we wrote in the book, thinking we were the first of the family to visit it, but on turning back a page found that previously unknown cousins had beaten us to it.  This led to a link up when we returned home and an exchange of much family and service info.

I strongly recommend leaving a message, however small, whatever the yobs might do.

D

I have a medal to a Rifleman Arthur Westell buried in Rouy-Le -Petit graveyard where there are only 2 burials, never been there , anyone on forum been to this area?

Tony

13 hours ago, KIRKY said:

I have a medal to a Rifleman Arthur Westell buried in Rouy-Le -Petit graveyard where there are only 2 burials, never been there , anyone on forum been to this area?

Tony

Rouy is not far from where I live, and is next to Nesle, I'll be in Nesle in April, and could take pictures, there is one unidentified soldier in Rouy le Grand, I'll take pictures too

kind regards from the Somme, martine

9 hours ago, mva said:

Rouy is not far from where I live, and is next to Nesle, I'll be in Nesle in April, and could take pictures, there is one unidentified soldier in Rouy le Grand, I'll take pictures too

Martine, that is really kind of you (très gentil? - I need to practice my French). I know people really appreciate it if someone visits their relatives.

Pete.

Thank you Martine thats very kind of you.

Tony

though today is 1st April : I'll take pictures :lol:

just spent 5 days in France, managed to get out for a day to check out a few cemeteries and church yards, the other half has started filling in books after our coversation here. only 3 cemeteries visited would say there were only 5 or 6 entries for the last two weeks between the lot. one of the churchyards Warlus was very neat and the two graves had fresh pansies in troughs , presumably locals as you wouldnt carry a 12" x4"x4" planter full of plants and soil over from home. the rest were as usual plain and judging by the state of a few of the residents graves, I dont think many people visit family there. at Duisans British the CWGC ground crew were doing a great job, albeit out of our way for dinner during our visit. wheras Harbarq could do with a trim

7 hours ago, chaz said:

(...) and the two graves had fresh pansies in troughs , presumably locals as you wouldnt carry a 12" x4"x4" planter full of plants and soil over from home. (...)

I'd rather think the pansies have been bought (by British visitors) at a local flower shop

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/03/2017 at 23:00, KIRKY said:

Thank you Martine thats very kind of you.

Tony

I was there to-day, as promised, in Rouy le Petit & R le Grand (unknown soldier, very alone there). Here is a small picture (R. le Petit), the other, larger, ones are here : https://somme18.com/egalite/ (sorry the church is horizontal & not vertical).

Tony, do feel free to download the pics (if problem, send me a pm)The other soldier was called Mc Bride, and I couldn't help thinking of :

https://youtu.be/z9fhGM0xxyk

Kind regards from the Somme

RouyPetit_4S.jpg

Edited by mva
forgot a word

Martine, thanks so much for this, I wonder why they are here and only 2 of them?

kind regards

Tony

Edited by KIRKY

22 minutes ago, KIRKY said:

Martine, thanks so much for this, I wonder why they are here and only 2 of them?

kind regards

Tony

Only the CWGC knows (or doesn't) ...

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/31703/ROUY-LE-PETIT CHURCHYARD : " The burials are on the North-East side of the ruined Church. " - the church is not ruined !!! Probably was in 1918 - and for the other one (R le Grand) : " near the North-West corner of the ruined Church" : the church is now far from the cemetery, I had to ask.

so, I guess these informations are 80 or 90 years old !!!

Edited by mva
added info

Trooper 9423 Frederick George Mileham, - 24th August 1914, 18th Hussars.

The only burial at Montignies-sur-roc Churchyard, near Audregnies.

My Gt Uncle, Charles Godfrey, 18th Hussars, was taken prisoner the same day.

I took some conkers that were on Trooper Mileham's grave home with me in 2015 and one is now a foot tall horse chestnut tree.

In a couple of years it shall be planted in the Lakes alongside about 50 other trees I have planted over the years, all taken from cemeteries.

The eldest, a 2003 acorn is now a 15 foot oak tree.

Sean

160.JPG

William George Bishop at Liencourt Communial on his own

DSC_0361.JPG

Edited by chaz