Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Gratuities

ss002d6252

4 hours ago, penstemon5 said:

Can anyone tell me what "AFW5070 sent" means on the soliers effects register

Craig, as ever, has the answer. Well done again to Craig for all his excellent work on this

Click

Mike

• 1 year later...

Apologies if this has already been covered but on the register of effects is the war gratuity AS WELL AS the other amounts listed or would it have been included in those amounts

I assume that it is on top of the other effects but just want to be totally sure

Thanks

Sue L

35 minutes ago, Sue L said:

Apologies if this has already been covered but on the register of effects is the war gratuity AS WELL AS the other amounts listed or would it have been included in those amounts

I assume that it is on top of the other effects but just want to be totally sure

Thanks

Sue L

The figure in red is the war gratuity, the other amounts in black/blue are unpaid wages (and sometimes service gratuity). The war gratuity would be paid on top of any other unpaid monies.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hello

Me again

Can anyone explain why someone might have a war gratuity but not a medal index card?

The person concerned is Percy William Allenby, 4th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment, died 6.10.1916

Sue

Thanks Craig

Your reply to message 1 arrived just after I had finished typing message 2!

S

2 minutes ago, Sue L said:

Hello

Me again

Can anyone explain why someone might have a war gratuity but not a medal index card?

The person concerned is Percy William Allenby, 4th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment, died 6.10.1916

Sue

Thanks Craig

Your reply to message 1 arrived just after I had finished typing message 2!

S

War Gratuity did not (with certain restrictions) require overseas service to qualify. If you create a new thread on the man in question I can take a look for you if you want.

Craig