Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Collector's Quandary

shippingsteel

Interesting article. It's easy to forget that the value of a military collectible is subjective and people in the future may have quite different tastes.

As of April 2015 my collection of 20th Century British webbing equipment has a healthy resale value. However, will interest decline down the line and will it be thought of as a "load of manky old webbing" to use my wife's description?

Interestingly she says she likes my gun collection as she finds them 'tactile'. Again, they currently have a healthy resale value. (Far more than what I paid for them) But unlike the webbing, it only takes one person with muddled ideas about how to tackle gun crime passing through the Home Office to render them worthless.

Your last paragraph is a real and present danger. A law commission review on firearms is occurring now and part of its remit is antique and deac guns especially the differences between old and new spec.

TT

It is an interesting article, especially because it touches on part of the 'collector's quandary' - do I buy it at that price because I like it / want it / I will invest in it ? And, am I morally obliged to tell a seller that I am picking up a bargain? Probably not, as most dealers - and now, with the internet, sellers also - know the approximate value of things... Going through web-pages looking for unit marks on German stuff, I have noticed how all the pieces on sale seem to have the same general price range - and in some cases it is totally ridiculous because of 'fashions in collecting': If I could do so from Turkey I could easily get two nice WW1 unit-marked S.71's for one WW1 S.98/05!