Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Our World War' - BBC3 series

NigelS

Can't open the link, but I'd guess they'd use the one built for "War Horse" for the external shots and probably the cut away one at Bovington for the internals.

Sam

Came across this article and thought everyone commenting on this subject would be interested not sure how to do a link but this is the page

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/features/our-world-war-bbc3/5075974.article

Basically it covers how the producers made the three programmes and mentions the use of "..real soldiers as extras..." and "A man covered head to toe in engine oil...he was one our experts who had brought his own replica MK V tank......"

Bom T

Edited by Bom T

According to the Daily Telegraph's preview, which describes the series as 'innovative & immersive' tonight's story line is based on the battle of Amiens 'with testimony drawn from the diary of Private Chas Rowland' . The preview continues with '...the episode gives a raw, claustrophobic and intimate picture of war through the eyes of an eight man tank crew. The BBC's write up (Click) gives that the tank featured is a Mark V, 'Niveleur', under the command of Lt Mould which is listed on 'Landships' Click as tank 9437. Also mentioned by the BBC are crewmen Fred Firth, Private Dodds & Mike Weston - wonder if these are, like Mould, real men mentioned in the diary, or fictitious characters invented for the story?

NigelS

Edit: looks as if a subscription might be required to access the article?

Came across this article and thought everyone commenting on this subject would be interested not sure how to do a link but this is the page

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/features/our-world-war-bbc3/5075974.article

Basically it covers how the producers made the three programmes and mentions the use of "..real soldiers as extras..." and "A man covered head to toe in engine oil...he was one our experts who had brought his own replica MK V tank......"

Bom T

Edited by NigelS

Hi Nigel

Have copied the article if you want a copy emailed

Bom T

Link looks too short but the search I used was: BBC 3 Our Great War MK V tank

Edited by Bom T

Have just read article and not sure if it would fire more discussion as it claims great strives were made by the producers for "authenticity" and especially to have the army involved in the production of the series.

Can anybody advice me on copyright as I could post extracts from article if they want me to.

Bom T

PM Sent. I Googled 'BBC 3 Our Great War MK V tank' and found an 'Ariel' - the BBC in house magazine, I believe - article 'Our World War follows in the footsteps of WW1 soldiers' (9th July) which gives some further background to the series and that the diary used for tonight's tank episode (attributed to Pte Chas Rowland) is from a family owned diary which hasn't been previously published.

NigelS

PM Sent. I Googled 'BBC 3 Our Great War MK V tank' and found an 'Ariel' - the BBC in house magazine, I believe - article 'Our World War follows in the footsteps of WW1 soldiers' (9th July) which gives some further background to the series and that the diary used for tonight's tank episode (attributed to Pte Chas Rowland) is from a family owned diary which hasn't been previously published.

NigelS

Just read article and combined with the one I posted on www.broadcastnow.co.uk from 7th August will answer a lot of questions and speculation raised on this thread

Bom T

P.S. Willing to send a copy of article to anyone who wants one as the link I posted appears to be subscription. I managed to retrieve article somehow though

Edited by Bom T

On the question of whether or not Trones Wood would have looked quite so pristine, I was looking through Peter Barton's panoramic book 'Somme', and found two photos showing a German counterattack in progress in a wood, apparently in the campaign's early stages.

It's not clear which wood is shown, but the two photos show shells exploding on the British positions, and then the attackers going in. There are no obvious signs of damage, no trees destroyed, and much evidence of foliage still in place, I think it's fair to accept that Trones would have looked very much the same as these photos, and thus as depicted in the programme, at the date it is set, and would not have been the wreck that it and the other woods later became..

Albert Hurst confirms the wood being undamaged when he arrived with16th Manchesters on the morning of ninth of July. Listen to IWM interview to confirm- I think with Peter Barton

Tim

Albert Hurst confirms the wood being undamaged when he arrived with16th Manchesters on the morning of ninth of July. Listen to IWM interview to confirm- I think with Peter Barton

Tim

Thanks.

After watching the 3rd episode I can say if I dare of all episodes I rather enjoyed this after not being a fan of the first 2, yes like all episodes this one had it flaws but out of the 3 this in my opinion was the best ..

I almost don't want to say anything . I had to check a few times that I wasn't watching Das Boot with the sense of claustrophobia (so not bad) and with the nautical beards (not so good)

I thought the first episode was the best.

On the whole the modern filming techniques were a success

The use of modern music soundtrack didn't bother me and at times worked very well.

The modernisation of the characterisation, dialogue and attitudes - worked less well.

Gunboat

Would you mind repeating that? I didn't catch it the first time. ^_^

Looks like I'll have to try and watch - no where near the type of wailing and gnashing of teeth that a certain fiction program produced earlier this year.

Regarding the tank used, it seems to be a mix of a little of the the excellent Warhorse replica from Bovington, a lot of the the appalling squat replica originally from the Magic Flute stage show, some generally ok CGI, and I suspect the internals were something built in a studio (given they were so roomy, with plenty of space) rather than actually utilising any real tank interiors.

Looks like I'll have to try and watch - no where near the type of wailing and gnashing of teeth that a certain fiction program produced earlier this year.

One or two grimaces though

My biggest concern about this series is whilst I could accept some dramatic licence they played hard and loose with the facts -if this was as those who have defended the programme because it's bringing a subject to a modern audience unfamiliar with the Great War surely there is a duty to get the facts right the information card below is misleading - why allow it? Why go to such lengths to make a drama based on real accounts and pepper it with inaccuracies?

post-8281-0-94374600-1408696344_thumb.jp

Oddly, of the three, this was the one I liked least for some reason. Not sure why, but for me they went in order of preference, very much 1, 2, 3.

Still a good effort by BBC3.

This is from article I found

In January 2014, ..., during the wettest winter on record, I was somewhere in a wood in Essex. A man covered head to toe in engine oil was grinning at me through driving rain. “Of course, what you’ve got here is your genuine World War I problem,” enthused Tony ‘Tank’.

He was one of our experts who’d brought his own replica Mark V tank to help us film the third episode – but its clutch was buggered. Stuck between some trees, the tracks caked in mud, it was surrounded by very cold, wet and grumpy soldiers, while somewhere outside the wood a few battered Germans stood shivering miserably

doesn't say where tank came from, but shows a photo which for some reason I can't copy onto post.

Bom T

Edited by Bom T

Good to see the great tradition of BBC3 being upheld i.e Garbage!, where did they get the dialogue from it must have been a figment of some poor troubled souls imagination. What an amazing tank to be able to stand fully upright and walk about inside it must have been enormous. :devilgrin:

Overall a pretty good effort I thought. Not too sure about the Tank mechanic with the James Dean haircut though & initially fearful after the lady announcer said the forthcoming programme concerned the Battle of Amiens pronounced 'a means'.

Amiens to an end?

Not knowing much about tanks, can anyone explain why all the crew vomited so often?

Is it motion sickness or did the engine vent exhaust fumes into the interior?

I have now viewed all three recorded programs and they were absolutely awful The tank one being the worst. I great disservice has been done to those who actually took part in theses actions.

If this is what we have to expect from TV during the next four years, then......I cannot find the words! they were blinking dreadful.

No need to panic Bob (Post 198) this is after all BBC3 renowned for garbage programming and unfortunately subsidised by the public.

Norman