Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Our World War' - BBC3 series

NigelS

I clicked on the link that Mudshark posted and ignoring the much discussed goatskin Mohawk image I was taken with image 14 because it just proves how photographs can mislead.

Because of you click on picture 14 the marching column of men and expand it - there are two soldiers one at the front on the extreme right of the shot and the chap about two rows behind who at first appearance both look as if they are wearing their caps back to front (baseball cap style) on second glance I thought they were broderick caps and only on the 3rd, 4th and 5th glance did I finally work out that it was just the angle of the shot hides their peaks .

The other thing it did was make me reconsider a thought I had when viewing OWW on Thursday which was that before sprouting a beard the tough scots tankie sported a Zapata type moustache and I wondered whether anyone would have worn such a moustache and the same soldier two or so rows back who looks like he is wearing a broderick cap appears to have just such a moustache.

Had one or two lads in the series been shown wearing caps wrong way round the no doubt we would have cried out but looking at photo it is possible to draw that conclusion

But Gunboat, it would have been a false conclusion- an interpretation that you avoided through informed thinking and thoroughess.

"3rd, 4th and 5th glance"-Respekt!

But Gunboat, it would have been a false conclusion- an interpretation that you avoided through informed thinking and thoroughess.

"3rd, 4th and 5th glance"-Respekt!

Most def bro

But looking from Hayley's perspective of having only 3 weeks prep - I wouldn't necessarily have that background knowledge to question it.

Added to that that there was a a conscious steer toward making these characters "relevant" to the modern younger audience I could see how you could use that photo as a reference for two young lads marching along with their caps on back to front. I'm not suggesting it's right but I have a better insight into that thinking having seen an unfamiliar photo (or a familiar photo made unfamiliar by the colorisation that made me look at it differently).

I am not defending the goatskin Mohawk indeed I believe I may've been first off the mark in criticising it and I still think it was a step too far that both distracted and detracted more than it added to the characterisation but I now have a better appreciation of how, with such a short deadline and it seemingly fitting the brief, that the now infamous picture was seen as sufficient reference point for thinking helmets might be personalised somehow - innit.

Thanks for posting about this! I saw it advertised on the beeb and it came and went before I remembered it was on. Managed to watch it online just now with a great grandson of William Holbrook. (my other half) We've listened to his recording on the Imperial War Museum website, and read accounts he gave of the battle of Mons, so to have it dramatised, really brings it home. Good job bbc

Having finally got round to watching the three episodes, here's my comments on them, for what they're worth:

Episode One - captured the approaching menace of the German army well, & the battle scenes were convincing

Episode Two - dealt with the difficult subject of military executions forcefully and admirably

Episode Three - convincingly portrayed the claustrophobia & poisonous fumes experienced by the tank crew

Bearing in mind the filming was done with a limited timespan & budget, I was impressed with the level of production.

The purists will always find technical faults, but I found it thought-provoking & worthwhile

• 1 month later...

Hello all.

What ever your thoughts on this series, it is back on i player for 28 days.

Just the thing for a winters night viewing.

Cheers Beeb.

Most certainly will be watching this again.

A surprise hit in this house.

Maxi

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently watching it - when my internet connection allows! I'm quite enjoying episode one. And I have enjoyed the reference to the Undertones being used to encourage youngsters to watch. I have the original 7" version (bought at the time) and have to agree that it worked! ;-)

Roxy

I came to Episode 2 by accident as I channel hopped looking for something entertaining yet educational / mind expanding!

I thought it was a very commendable effort and engaged me.

I have now watched Episode 1 on i-player which I also thoroughly enjoyed as did my father.

I thought it admirably tried to emphasise the major challenges for the British Army of the early days of the Great War and the harrowing nature of what was to follow. I was not familiar myself with the details of this particular battle.

Hearing a recording of Victoria Cross recipient Private Sidney Godley actually recounting it himself at the end was an excellent touch - I subsequently began more researching...

I acknowledge that it may not have been historically perfect.

However I think it's great that the production team were interested and passionate enough in the subject matter to make it their objective to make the programmes and try to engage those who up to now perhaps have had little interest.

I've watched a lot of movies (war ones too) and I would not describe myself as easy to please!

The series has got me back researching and thinking anyway...

I'm now looking forward to watching Episode 3.

Again the wealth of information and expertise on this forum is staggering and you are all so generous and helpful in sharing it.

It's been a major help to me building in an understanding of the experiences of my own great grandfather.

But don't forget we all have to start somewhere! If someone begins that journey as a result of these programmes then that's fantastic.

For those in France, the first three episodes of this are being shown on France 4 on Thursday night. Unfortunately I will probably be out that evening, and I don't have recording facilities, but will try to catch up somehow.

Cheers Martin B

• 4 years later...

All 3 episodes are available on BBC iPlayer at the moment.  Found under box sets, documentaries.  From having a quick look back at the beginning of this thread, most people seem to have liked the first episode.  I seem to have missed this first time round.

Mandy