Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Our World War' - BBC3 series

NigelS

Seems to be receiving a lot of plugs at the moment 'Our World War', a forthcoming BBC3 series, sound like an interesting concept, but I wonder if it will work & what we can expect from the series?

NigelS

Edit 'forthcoming' removed from title

Edited by NigelS

It seems very interesting concept. It's done in a style that is similar to the modern documentaries on Afghanistan (see the similar program called our war) I'm really looking forward to viewing this. Any date for broadcast ?

All I've heard so far is 'August'

Looking forward to it

G

"BBC3" and "Culture Pages".

Discuss.

This may be worth watching!

Anne

If the link posted to Youtube is the same as the trailer shown on tv then, apart from the modern music (which a lot will complain about), I think it may be a little too soon to pass judgement (good or bad) on whether or not this is going to be good. It was such a short segment, give it a chance!

PS: that's not directed at you Anneca:)

My only thought was, if this is as good as they are suggesting, why is it only on BBC3... in centenary year...?

But, will watch it nevertheless (well, the first episode anyway!)

James

Yes, BBC3 seems a curious place. It does make you wonder about the intended audience. BBC2 and 4 have been clearly the home of Great War themed programmes this year, save for the excellent Paxman series and the execrable Crimson Field

David

BBC3, seems to be the channel for 'young adults' (or possibly those young at heart?) so, being more accustomed to warfare a la games console, perhaps it's considered the best place for the initial showings. There nothing stopping the series being shown BBC1 or 2 at a later date.

NigelS

"BBC3" and "Culture Pages".

Discuss.

Indeed. I expect a change in screen image every 2 secs or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Pencils? Stillettoes, more like. (And I mean the knives. I rarely wear high heels on a school night).

Erm...(he said cautiously) I've just watched the trailer and clips, (without sound, no speakers on the office PC)It didn't look too bad, so I will certainly watch the first episode, and decide whether to continue after that.

I thought I'd recognised one of the locations used from a brief clip in one of the trailers, the 'Training on the bridge' clip confirmed my suspicions (also a brief glimpse in the background of 'The first shots of the war' Clip) it's one of two WWI designed 'Hopkins' (named after its inventor Captain Hopkins RE) military bridges (Eelmoor & Claycart) crossing the Basingstoke Canal in the Aldershot & Farnborough Airport areas. The one used is 'Claycart' (Click)

Edit: 'designed' added; the design is WW1, but I don't believe these two bridges have been there that long, although its possible their components might date back that far. It's likely that at some stage the army needed to replace the original bridges with something stronger and Hopkins components (and RE sappers) would have been readily available.

post-5512-0-30564800-1406904926_thumb.jp post-5512-0-38440100-1406904960_thumb.jp

NigelS

Edited by NigelS

Yes, BBC3 seems a curious place. It does make you wonder about the intended audience. BBC2 and 4 have been clearly the home of Great War themed programmes this year, save for the excellent Paxman series and the execrable Crimson Field

David

I now understand why it is on BBC3.

The format of the programme mirrors the reality programme 'Our War' shown last year when the experiences of troops in Afghanistan were shown through actual footage of engagements using head cams. It was absolutely gripping television from beginning to end.

This series is trying to replicate that immediacy by filming events from previous wars again as if with head cams. The episode on Thursday dramatizes the VC action of Deese and Godley on the Mons Conde canal.

I shall be very interested to see how it works

David

Edit: apologies MicahParsons. Rereading the thread I see you had already made the comparison with 'Our War'

I noticed the trailer for the first day of the Somme episode gives the warning 'Contains prolonged violence', so at least that got that bit right it seems.

I heard a review of this on the radio and it received positive reviews although the use of modern music split opinions - though some of the songs were by all accounts well selected. I for one am looking forward to giving if a go.

I am really interested to see how this will work out. I remember the same type of docudramas such as the Some from Defeat to Victory but this seems to come from a more different angle especially when it comes to the music choice I did have a thought that putting this type of documentary on BBC3 was made to appeal to a certain age group as mentioned before. Although really looking forward to viewing this. It’s nice to see new programs based on factual WW1 being created we seem to go though many years of nothing before they release something.

Well it's now been on 15 mins so far hasn't started great in my opinion feels like a bbc3 programme, Plenty of "modern" music which I feel doesn't seem to fit the programme, but I'll give it a go and see how the next 45 mins go .....

Not the best in my opinion an example of TV execs retarded belief that history must be geezerified & have a cool soundtrack before 16-34s will watch it..

Watched it from start to finish - jury is still out. Clever filming techniques but was it the correct portrayal of the individuals. I tend to agree with dave above "geezerified & have a cool soundtrack" for audience figures.

And during the end credits "Mons a humiliating defeat for the British Army" , was it? I was under the impression that with a German superiority of 3 to 1 and the French falling back on the British right flank there was no other option except withdraw to a better defensive position. I need to check my statement but I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong.

I will watch it again on iplayer and make a final decision, theres also a couple more to watch in the series

John