Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

He was the first of his kind, but his high-flying career was brought to an end not by a drag Queen, but by a King in drag, and consequently he was stripped of his honours (M.B.E. and B.E.M.)

(I will be sleeping till 3pm. Working nights.)

Edited by neverforget

One to many clues there NF,  the sketch is of 2Lt Ernest Brooks, he of the silhouette at Brookseinde photograph and other well known images. (Follow links to have a good look at his work)

http://digital.nls.uk/first-world-war-official-photographs/archive/75171407

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=brooks%2C ernest&filter[webCategory][0]="photographs"&items_per_page=50

Ended up taking some photos of the Prince of Wales (Edward VIII) in his bath and wearing a dress and wig, which invoked his majesty’s (KGV) displeasure and led to his eventual fall from grace, culminating in the removal of his awards following a criminal conviction for insulting behaviour (because of no witness, it would probably have be an indecency charge)

The following link will take you to the forum thread showing the conviction sheet.

Another one inspired by a recent visit. A soldier and a sailor, both with their vices - the youngster more so than the older. Who are they, and why is that?

https://postimg.org/image/2eolorpsor/

Two_vices.jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton

Father and son?

15 hours ago, neverforget said:

Father and son?

Father and only son indeed.

If a bit more of a clue is needed, the younger also helped the first here to link the second to the third:

https://postimg.org/image/2qy5mlhdfv/

First_second_third_and_fourth.png

Thanks for that Andrew. Have to say I'm struggling with this one. Looks a good one though. 👍

Ok I recognise 1 2 and 3. The old grey matter is now firing on all cylinders. 

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Evan Morgan and his father Viscount Tredegar.

Correct identification - and so the answer to part two is...? :devilgrin:

Edited by Andrew Upton

9 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

Correct identification - and so the answer to part two is...? :devilgrin:

Could the link you are looking for be the Royal Welch, or poets, or both?

Vices?

1st Viscount handed his yacht to the Royal Navy, on the condition that he be appointed its captain.

2nd Viscount was court martialled for divulging secrets to teenage girls. 

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

yacht to the Royal Navy,

As a hospital ship if I recall correctly from my visit to Tredegar House. 

I got the impression that it wasn't girls Evan was interested in...

I think between Uncle George and SeaJane we have most of the answer I was looking for.

The father is indeed Courtenay Charles Evan Morgan, created 1st Viscount Tredegar (2nd Creation) on the death of his uncle Godfrey Charles Morgan in 1913 (who had survived participating in the Charge of the Light Brigade in 1854 on his horse Briggs). Vice/Viscount was something of a play on words, as apart from his desire to command his own requisitioned boat during the war he seems to have lead a fairly unexceptional life.

Evan Morgan was quite a different kettle of fish. During the war he served as a Lieutenant in the Irish Guards in various appointments, and apparently met Robert Graves whilst convalescing in the UK from the multitude of illnesses he acquired. Graves got in touch with Evan after Sassoon published his open letter in 1917 condemning the war to see if Evan could use his Cabinet contacts for Sassoon to be deemed medically unfit instead. Evan supposedly succeeded, and as a result Sassoon was sent to Craiglockhart to be treated by Dr Rivers.

After the war he became 2nd Viscount Tredegar on the death of his father in 1934. He was also Chamberlain of the Sword and Cape to Popes Benedict XV and Pius XI, but was also close friends with occultist Aleister Crowley. He is rumoured to have practiced black magic as well, and though married twice apparently enjoyed the company of men as much as women. He kept a variety of exotic animals, including a parrot which he trained to talk with bad language and also apparently a party trick of climbing up the inside of his trouser leg and putting its head out his flies! Quite the bad boy. Here he is later in life with said parrot...

lord-tredegar-evan-morgan.jpg

Andrew, that is such a good photograph (which cries out for captions), and a classic WiT?. Good stuff.

Pete.

Here's a very entertaining account of the Viscounts Tredegar:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2343546/The-devil-worshipping-viscount-VERY-naughty-party-trick-parrot.html

" ... Evan Morgan, whose riches so completely detached him from life, finally parted company with it on April 27, 1949 — a victim to cancer at the early age of 55.

"The trouser-climbing parrot survived him."

Von Nessie??? 

ln.jpg.d53e4c7cf48af0e407ec47c74d1d2583.jpg

Hi nf

Dare I say UB 85 and Kapitänleutnant Gunther Kerch

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_UB-85

The question to be asked is why did he suggest that he was attacked by a mythical sea-creature, would the truth be he “surrendered” his (own doing) disabled ship to save lives and that there was no way that the creature attack could be disproved at home. Despite the crews capture without casualties I find that Günther died in March 1919 in a UK Hospital(any clues).

8 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi nf

Dare I say UB 85 and Kapitänleutnant Gunther Kerch

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_UB-85

The question to be asked is why did he suggest that he was attacked by a mythical sea-creature, would the truth be he “surrendered” his (own doing) disabled ship to save lives and that there was no way that the creature attack could be disproved at home. Despite the crews capture without casualties I find that Günther died in March 1919 in a UK Hospital(any clues).

Right first time John. Kerch it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/19/u-boat-wreck-could-be-sea-monster-victim-of-internet-folklore

On 30/10/2017 at 20:27, Knotty said:

So what did this person first achieve 

F9B82F7B-0064-4BCE-B875-2D420587025D.png

I think I recognise her as someone I have posted a while back, so I'll leave this one for someone else. 

I've had a pm from Knotty to say that he is having problems logging in at the moment by the way.

I'll throw this one into the mix.

Not terribly difficult, so both names please, with a bonus point thrown in if you tell us who took the picture.

Apologies if my replies aren't instant, but I'm in hospital at the moment and my phone signal is a bit hit and miss, so bear with me.te.jpg.5fd0257a87080a7b1c2e7ae551b1d5cf.jpg

6 minutes ago, johnboy said:

but I'm in hospital at the moment

nothing serious , i hope.

The doc's tell me its an exacerbation of my existing lung condition. (C.O.P.D/Emphysima)

Could barely breathe for a day or two but  I'm on the mend now.

Many thanks for your concern.