Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

With hooded stare and sardonic mouth, he hung in the air above me

The  polymath of my acquaintance, Mr. William  Ikipedia is a little unclear on this- whether it is Paul Nash about Tonks, or Nash's 1955 biographer, Anthony Bertram

While taking everything in W.Pedia with a pinch of salt (the description of me as the inventor of the ironing board is clearly wrong), I think it is Nash on Tonks. I just love the phrase "like a tall question mark". I do like Nash for all sorts of reasons, not just as an artist.

Pete.

21 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

"With hooded stare and sardonic mouth, he hung in the air above me, like a tall question mark"......

Pete.

Relegation?

21 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Relegation?

Harsh but fair NF, harsh but fair. But we may be making a new world to paraphrase Nash.

Pete.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

Harsh but fair NF, harsh but fair. But we may be making a new world to paraphrase Nash.

Pete.

I was thinking of my lot rather than yours Pete. 

Admittedly neither of us are flying the blue flag particularly high at the moment, but it's well below half-mast here mate. 

I would point out that I posted Sargent's portrait of Tonks a while back ;) Can thoroughly recommend Sam Alberti's War, Art & Surgery for those who want to know more.

2 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I would point out that I posted Sargent's portrait of Tonks a while back ;) Can thoroughly recommend Sam Alberti's War, Art & Surgery for those who want to know more.

Thanks Jane. My impetuous post displayed a moment of uncharacteristic slackness on my part. What a wally, I should have checked but just got swept along in the excitement of the moment 😳

I can see why, Tonks is rather wonderful :)

12 minutes ago, seaJane said:

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Thanks Jane. My impetuous post displayed a moment of uncharacteristic slackness on my part. What a wally, I should have checked but just got swept along in the excitement of the moment 😳

I think we must be approaching the point where we have posted everyone who was ever photographed in WW1, so a bit of recycling is inevitable. And as the dramatis personae of the inmates is ever changing it probably won't do any harm. I'd stored a photo of Tonks myself having forgotten that sJ had posted him. To be honest I've forgotten faces posted on the thread last week.

Pete.

I'd forgotten that the thread went back as far as last week 😕

Someone who tried to pack up and go home:

jb.jpg.5d96ceedf6b488270d26e385e6a31c8b.jpg

Pictorial clue:

7eddaed6279785b1d7e0c787c29f18bc.jpg.6bab4223fca3b34ce948c5057952c7a9.jpg

I've no doubt that even the least observant will have noticed the strong Germanic texture of the two pictures, but since we've had no response as yet, I will also throw Dorchester into the mix.

13 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I've no doubt that even the least observant will have noticed the strong Germanic texture of the two pictures, but since we've had no response as yet, I will also throw Dorchester into the mix.

Is he Otto Köhn?

6 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Otto Köhn?

It is Otto Koehn, known as the German jack in the box. Your Kohn is the third different version of his name that I have come across; the other being Kuehn, but you clearly have correctly identified him. Well done. Story here: http://wessexwfa.org.uk/dorchesters-pow-camp-2/

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/ww1/stories/11382626.Take_a_step_back_in_time_to_Poundbury_s_prisoner_of_war_camp/

10 minutes ago, neverforget said:

It is Otto Koehn, known as the German jack in the box. Your Kohn is the third different version of his name that I have come across; the other being Kuehn, but you clearly have correctly identified him. 

I found him (and the spelling!) here:

http://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2015/12/dorchesters-prisoner-of-war-camp/

On 03/10/2017 at 20:51, Uncle George said:

I found him (and the spelling!) here:

http://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2015/12/dorchesters-prisoner-of-war-camp/

It would seem that the tale made most of the local rags. 

Still in theme; I have another:

ep.jpg.8608ac577ee5cdf6eeb90afd7624f887.jpg

Artist.

6 hours ago, QGE said:

Sargent?

No. He's another P.O.W.

Edited by neverforget

He produced over 100 works of art whilst interned, creating the most extensive collection of Great War P.O.W. scenes on record.

George Kenner a.k.a. Georg Kennerknecht.

Is correct. Well done.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kenner

http://www.surreyinthegreatwar.org.uk/story/george-kenner/

Not really-  quite a number of those who went to art school in Lambeth should have been locked up.....Oh, that reminds me-must renew my subscription to the National Union of Philistines.

IMG_0387.JPG.c4d38073df0ce54d9236fcf6973d5233.JPG

Who is this, he became a breath of fresh air for those concerned?

sorry about the size

No UG, it is not him, he had no connection to the RFC.

As an aside I though the oxygen mask was something to do with a chap named Dreyer, aviation experts please!

Hubert Gough?

Ron