Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I can see where you are coming from, could easily be him at a young age, but alas it is not him either.

John

Cluny McPherson, the inventor of the gas mask perchance? I searched the extensive library and could only find a photo of him on a camel so I can't be sure.........

Pete.

Dennis Wheatley? A wild guess based on the clue rather than anything simple like a resemblance. That would be just too conventional......

Pete.

On 04/10/2017 at 22:39, Knotty said:

No sorry not him either

John

That's OK-  it was a guess, as I could not find a wartime picture of the chap.

L.P. Hartley?

No sorry seaJane, not him.

I will start adding some additional clues if he has not been identified after 24hrs.

John

Miles Malleson?

Ok, the big clue--he went from 57CNW3 (H7) to 28NE1 (D6) for the first toothpaste, that should make it easier to get him.

John

14 hours ago, Knotty said:

he went from 57CNW3 (H7) to 28NE1 (D6) for the first toothpaste

If he wasn't an officer, then he could have been Lt-Commander F S (Cleg) Kelly's servant

It seems that Kelly got on everyone's nerves by continually calling for his servant to bring him water – he cleaned his teeth twelve (12) times a day!

Sorry John; a true story, but not a serious suggestion in this game

Edited by michaeldr

34 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

If he wasn't an officer, then he could have been Lt-Commander F S (Cleg) Kelly's servant

It seems that Kelly got on everyone's nerves by continually calling for his servant to bring him water – he cleaned his teeth twelve (12) time a day!

Sorry John; a true story, but not a serious suggestion in this game

Cleg's photograph is still captioned 'unknown' in IWM Q71074, despite my email of 24 August, acknowledged on the same day with the message: " ...  I have copied in photoadmin who would be able to help amend these records ... "

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205316385

Hi Gentlemen

No not "Cleg" , but thanks for the references. As you have alluded to he was not an officer, but he was attached to the army albeit loosely.

Not Colwill and not Mons,but you are on the right track( no clue in there)

Well done GUEST Sir Philip Gibbs it is.

From Bapaume to Passchendaele and The Soul of War are two first edition I have in my collection, still on the lookout for The Realities of War. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Gibbs

John

ps The reference to toothpaste was for the first ever tv advert shown for Gibbs SR

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

The reference to toothpaste was for the first ever tv advert shown for Gibbs SR

Phew!!  That bit was little too oblique for me!   Recognized the pic.-but brain cells were slow on the uptake.

Is there a reference to one of the Hussars regiments Lord Cardigan of Light Brigade fame served in?

Edited by Knotty

13 hours ago, Knotty said:

Is there a reference to one of the Hussars regiments Lord Cardigan of Light Brigade fame served in?

Alas, no- the reference is  post-Cardwell.  But it is regimental

Edited by Guest