Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

On 06/10/2017 at 18:25, Knotty said:

Well done GUEST Sir Philip Gibbs it is.

From Bapaume to Passchendaele and The Soul of War are two first edition I have in my collection, still on the lookout for The Realities of War. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Gibbs

John

ps The reference to toothpaste was for the first ever tv advert shown for Gibbs SR

Fiendish clues John, good one. Gibbs' description of the mines going off one by one at Messines is the most vivid description of the event, and he crops up often, but I'd never seen a photograph.

Pete.

Alas, no- the reference is  post-Cardwell.  But it is regimental

Our man was a good friend of Tommy, which is why he was valued by the British Government

Our man was a good friend of Tommy, which is why he was valued by the British Government

Been trying all afternoon on and off to achieve a breakthrough with this riddle of yours, but struggling.

I don't give up though. Perhaps a beer or two will help.

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Perhaps a beer or two will help.

Can't disagree with that.  Have another go when you wake up.

Our man was a good Housemate.

Cornwall- Our man was an officer of the DCLI during the war.

I have a real dilemma here. Sainsbury's have just delivered our shopping, and 7 out of 8 of my Belgian Duvel beers have over- fermented, and leaked to varariable extents. The delivery driver had refunded me of course and allowed me to retain the carnage, but that leaves me with 7 bottles that have to be drunk tonight or wasted. A few of them have mercifully half emptied themselves, but at 8.5% strength, my options are not as straightforward as you might think. Heroics are called for and I'm not sure I'm up to the job. 

So he's gone from a Welsh Regiment to the DCLI, but I can't fathom out the Cardinal reference. Still working on it, and now you've added Housemate?

NF it's not that far from Kiddy to Brum so I would offer to help out but I'm already half way through a large bottle of Leffe brune,and there's another sat there.

Gallant little Belgium has a lot to answer for.

I will hold my position to the last.

Maj-Gen Wyndham Childs, who put forward the idea of suspending court-martial prison sentences?

Ron

On 07/10/2017 at 19:31, neverforget said:

I have a real dilemma here. Sainsbury's have just delivered our shopping, and 7 out of 8 of my Belgian Duvel beers have over- fermented, and leaked to varariable extents. The delivery driver had refunded me of course and allowed me to retain the carnage, but that leaves me with 7 bottles that have to be drunk tonight or wasted. A few of them have mercifully half emptied themselves, but at 8.5% strength, my options are not as straightforward as you might think. Heroics are called for and I'm not sure I'm up to the job. 

This isn't the Rant thread, NF. How much of the Duvel have you already had?

Ron

12 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Gallant little Belgium has a lot to answer for.

I will hold my position to the last.

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I'll drink to that

Dean Martin said something along the lines of ; "you're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without having to hold on". This may be relevant later in the evening. I'll stick with the orange juice I think.

Ron, if it's not Wyndham-Childs we ought to include him in the near future, very interesting and not someone I'd come across before. Knotty and NF won't remember a thing after this evening's libations.

Pete.

Dean Martin as in "Little ole wine drinker me", more of a French influence.

Will return to the subject of the thread soon!

35 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Dean Martin said something along the lines of ; "you're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without having to hold on". This may be relevant later in the evening. I'll stick with the orange juice I think.

Say when? When it's running over my knuckles.

(Sir Les Patterson)

28 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Maj-Gen Wyndham Childs, who put forward the idea of suspending court-martial prison sentences?

Ron

This isn't the Rant thread, NF. How much of the Duvel have you already had?

Ron

Probably too many Ron to be honest. I'm not a big drinker. 8  bottles would normally be my rations for a week. My good lady has responded to my S.O.S. and with Saturday being curry night and all, the two of us us are rising to the challenge. I can't bear waste but not looking forward to tomorrow morning. 

At least we've squeezed a little more out of Mr. V. though and I'm still trying to unravel it all.

The shrewd money's probably not on me being much help at the moment though to be honest.

Alas, not Wyndham Childs- one of the people who seemed to operate with some degree of commonsense during the war.  

Let's give a big hint with the Cardinal- A prominent Cardinal (=Prince of the Church)  and my man share the same surname.  And ""Tommy" is a single person, not soldiery as a whole.

My man should be better known-as should his later equivalent Purko.

Cheers......... Hic.

Major-General John Vaughan, Allenby's Chief of Staff?

Ron

Morning Ron. Alas, No, Ron- Good guess for getting a Cardinal- and you are well on the right track. The coincidence of name of my chap is with an English Cardinal-of the Catholic Restored Hierarchy. That should narrow it. A point I will make is that my man should be much better known-though the main book about him appeared in the 1960s and is based largely on the papers of Tommy. He aided Tommy considerably in dealing with the Hindoo

Would the reference to an individual Tommy, and the Cornwall connection, have anything to do with Harry Patch, "the last Tommy"?

Ron

23 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is Hindoo the American spelling, thus refering to Tommy being an American?

Is it Kiplingesque (is this even a word?)?

6 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Would the reference to an individual Tommy, and the Cornwall connection, have anything to do with Harry Patch, "the last Tommy"?

Ron

No, our man was much more patrician-the 10th of his kind. And he died in New York in the 1960s.   And Tommy is someone of that name, not a British soldier. The  "Tommy" here changed his name for political purposes shortly before the war-You will know him much better by his name when he started using his middle name.

3 hours ago, Knotty said:

Is Hindoo the American spelling, thus refering to Tommy being an American?

Yes, very much so- references to Hindoo and the United States should elucidate whoTommy is and,thus, identify my man.

Edited by Guest

Got him!

Sir William Wiseman, our Secret Service man in the US, who was a confidant of Woodrow Wilson (Thomas W W), its almost all here on this link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Wiseman,_10th_Baronet.

Your Cardinal reference is to Cardinal Nicholas Wiseman, the first  Archbishop of Westminster of the Restored Hierarchy.

Well played GUEST that gave me a runaround for most of the day:thumbsup:

Excellent work John and kudos to GUEST for excellent clues. A massively educational conundrum which I wouldn't have been able to solve if you had chained me to a typewriter for infinity ( I'd keep getting interrupted by the monkeys wanting to type up the script for Hamlet).

Pete.

On 08/10/2017 at 22:29, Knotty said:

Got him!

Sir William Wiseman, our Secret Service man in the US, who was a confidant of Woodrow Wilson (Thomas W W), its almost all here on this link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Wiseman,_10th_Baronet.

Your Cardinal reference is to Cardinal Nicholas Wiseman, the first  Archbishop of Westminster of the Restored Hierarchy.

Well played GUEST that gave me a runaround for most of the day:thumbsup:

Well done Knotty- Not intended to give you the run-around, though the post-Sunday Lunch exercise might do some good. Yes, Sir William Wisemen-an almost forgotten figure here. I have not heard his name mentioned once in all the heap of stuff about the Great War in the media during the centennial years.

So    Hereditary 10th Baronet- Started in Cardigan Artillery Militia, Lt-Col. DCLI on outbreak of war, then into the  world of secrets and Cumming.  Not just involved in secret espionage work-which was vital enough (inc. the Hindoo Plot) but became of good friend of Woodrow Wilson ("Tommy" as he was known until he decided to run for Pres. and gentrified a bit) and Colonel E.M.House ("Housemate).

I chanced on one book about Wiseman done not long after his death -and that as a spin-off from the publishing series on Woodrow Wilson's papers.  Heavily involved in the finances of the war, British industrial needs  in the US-and measures to counter the U Boat War.

Surprised he is not  much better known. 

On 09/10/2017 at 10:27, Fattyowls said:

Excellent work John and kudos to M. Voltaire for excellent clues. A massively educational conundrum which I wouldn't have been able to solve if you had chained me to a typewriter for infinity ( I'd keep getting interrupted by the monkeys wanting to type up the script for Hamlet).

Pete.

My monkey has just bashed out "Anthony and Cleopatra"-Shall I start again?

On 09/10/2017 at 11:14, Guest said:

Not intended to give you the run-around,

Rather the runaround than a trip to the shopping precinct, it was important car maintenance!

IMG_0399.JPG.796c2b409a9d7a895610d3340109648c.JPG

Ok let's try this rather obscure artist who was seconded  both "downunder"  and with the village people, sadly his original war work was lost second time around, but he continued  by penning the Church weekly.

Hm, wouldn't be New Zealand's first war artist, would it?