Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

The first day and I make it eight mentions of the acronym TEL.

" You'll be lucky - it's been locked! "

TEL 'em to open it then? :devilgrin: 9

Mike

Mike

I was referring to this new thread, not the old!

Mike

Well we can certainly TEL you're back with us Mike :hypocrite: 10

I think this July Crisis chap was still unidentified in our previous home:

post-66715-0-83819400-1405716426_thumb.j

David

Edit:

And this chap was another player (pawn?) in the game

post-66715-0-72148600-1405716660_thumb.j

Well we can certainly TEL you're back with us Mike :hypocrite: 10

I think this July Crisis chap was still unidentified in our previous home:

attachicon.gifdri 229.jpg

David

I don't know who he is but I am seriously coveting that chair.

-Daniel

Discounting the old thread I think I will be first with an animal of The Great War. Who is this camel? Perhaps David, Stoppage, Gareth et al might abstain for ten minutes!

post-100478-0-60300100-1405718718_thumb.

well, 5 minutes . . . . is it Ghazala and her foal ?

Well done Stoppage. Correct as usual. I will try one more before bedtime...

We're overlapping here - I thought better of answering, and edited my post. The lady in the pic is TEL's she-camel Ghazala, with her foal

Who is this gentleman on the right?

post-100478-0-41237000-1405719327_thumb.

Abdullah al Hashmi ?

Emir of Transjordan/King of Jordan ?

Was this pic taken at the Cairo Conference ?

If I'm right, we are coming up to the 63rd anniversary of his murder.

Abdullah al Hashmi ?

Yes. T.E. Lawrence with Emir Abdullah, 1921.

Thanks to SD for the new thread. Who Is This: Series 2

David is your first photo Count Von Berchtold?

Edit: No, it's Sergei Sazanov. Found the Wiki page. Second photo Nikola Pasic. Thanks, because I've learned more about the key players in the July crisis than I knew before.

Who is this happy chap? I'm surprised to find that he hasn't been up before. I don't think so anyway.

post-8866-0-05518100-1405761129_thumb.jp

I don`t think he has, Caryl, which surprises me too. It`s Victor Chapman. Another member of the Lafayette Escadrille, and the first American pilot to be K.I.A.

I`ve a feeling that David`s little man in a big chair is Sazonov. If so, it`ll be a first (and no doubt last) for me, solving two at the same time.

I don`t think he has, Caryl, which surprises me too. It`s Victor Chapman. Another member of the Lafayette Escadrille, and the first American pilot to be K.I.A.

I`ve a feeling that David`s little man in a big chair is Sazonov. If so, it`ll be a first (and no doubt last) for me, solving two at the same time.

Yes, it is Victor Chapman NF. You're right about Sazonov. Found the wiki page for the July crisis and edited my post (before you posted, honestly!). Two pages in already!

Quite so Caryl. I withdraw my claim for a double. You had already posted but I missed it. My mistake, and well done to you.

Yes, it is Victor Chapman NF. You're right about Sazonov. Found the wiki page for the July crisis and edited my post (before you posted, honestly!). Two pages in already!

Caryl

Two for two: a good start! More July crisis personalities to follow, including a picture that I will be interested to hear folks opinion of.

I think it's very odd we haven't had Chapman. He must be about the only Lafayette pilot to have escaped us. And what a brilliant picture! Those pilots really were a photogenic bunch - real 'knights of the air' stuff

David

Inmates and Witters

The mods have okayed statistics and lists so I will start working on my spreadsheet this week (school being out for summer - as someone once said). The idea will be to have a list of names plus who posted and who solved. Once set up it will be relatively easy to maintain and I would look to republish it every few weeks.

As has been said a lot recently it really doesn't matter if there are repeats as they are invariably different pictures and new forum folk are contributing all the time.

Anyway, back to the July Crisis:

This ubiquitous picture of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand was invariably captioned as the capture of Princip. Recently though this has been changed to just being a 'supporter'

post-66715-0-97649100-1405772539_thumb.j

Now this is another well known picture which always has a caption which I always find very poignant. But I wonder if it is true. So my question is - who is it? and does anyone have evidence or a view on whether it was taken precisely where and when it is claimed?

post-66715-0-46113600-1405772552_thumb.j

David

Abdullah al Hashmi ?

This is the full picture... Jerusalem, March 28, 1921. T.E. Lawrence with Abdulla, RAF Commander-in-Chief Middle East Sir Geoffrey Salmond, and Brigadier General Sir Wyndham Deedes, the Chief Secretary to the Administration in Palestine.

post-100478-0-50117800-1405773363_thumb.

post-61373-0-27118700-1405776568_thumb.jI have an alternative variation on a theme. How many of these Field Marshals and Generals can you name without diving in to the extensive library? There are 22 in total in the painting by Sargent and 10 of them are Field Marshals. I managed to guess at 14 of the names but when it came to putting names to faces I got a miserable 5. What's your name to face score?

You highlight a problem (if that's the word) that I'm sure many of us contributing to this thread will have. One knows names, and probably quite a bit about a person, but putting a face to the name can be a problem. A recent example of one of my own is Paul Painleve - I imagine most Witters will know of him, and who he was, but recognising the fizzog - no result !

This is why, sometimes, an early clue is all that is needed.

Anyway, I think I can claim 9, Smuts, Rawly, Horne, Wilson, Daddy, Haig, French, Allenby (?) and Arthur Currie.

Byng should be in there, I would have thought; I know what he looks like, but I can't spot him. Is that Hubert Gough peering over Henry Wilson's left shoulder ?

The temptation to refer to the EL is a mighty weight on my weak conscience . . . . .

This lady opened a convalescent camp at her home in WW1.

An old "Antiques Roadshow" recently rescreened (Aspel era) came from the grounds . . . .

Who is she, and what was the name of her convalescent camp ?

post-86463-0-92951500-1405778824_thumb.j

attachicon.gifField Marshals and Generals.jpgI have an alternative variation on a theme. How many of these Field Marshals and Generals can you name without diving in to the extensive library? There are 22 in total in the painting by Sargent and 10 of them are Field Marshals. I managed to guess at 14 of the names but when it came to putting names to faces I got a miserable 5. What's your name to face score?

You say 5 is a miserable score. My score is 2. Edit - 3: Plumer, Haig, Robertson. Edit - 4: French.

attachicon.gifField Marshals and Generals.jpgI have an alternative variation on a theme. How many of these Field Marshals and Generals can you name without diving in to the extensive library? There are 22 in total in the painting by Sargent and 10 of them are Field Marshals. I managed to guess at 14 of the names but when it came to putting names to faces I got a miserable 5. What's your name to face score?

FM William Birdwood on the left I think.

Inmates and Witters

Now this is another well known picture which always has a caption which I always find very poignant. But I wonder if it is true. So my question is - who is it? and does anyone have evidence or a view on whether it was taken precisely where and when it is claimed?

attachicon.gifdri 231.jpg

David

I'm not familiar with this photograph. My guess would be Kipling.

EDIT - scrub that - I forgot that from your post no. 44 he is a July crisis figure.

Inmates and Witters

The mods have okayed statistics and lists so I will start working on my spreadsheet this week (school being out for summer - as someone once said). The idea will be to have a list of names plus who posted and who solved. Once set up it will be relatively easy to maintain and I would look to republish it every few weeks.

As has been said a lot recently it really doesn't matter if there are repeats as they are invariably different pictures and new forum folk are contributing all the time.

Anyway, back to the July Crisis:

This ubiquitous picture of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand was invariably captioned as the capture of Princip. Recently though this has been changed to just being a 'supporter'

attachicon.gifdri 232.jpg

attachicon.gifdri 231.jpg

David

Prince Lichnowsky? German Ambassador to the Court of St James.

Ron