Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Excellent news Martin! Well it was a good 'un!

By the way, with this new thread and t'other being in Chit-Chat (the old thread used to be in 'Other') I noticed the other day before I logged in that this thread, and in fact the whole of Chit Chat is only visible to forum members, which is a shame .

Indeed. I was hoping to get the journalist to simply look at the thread but he couldn't see it which rather flummoxed me for a while...so I have had to cut and paste much of it.

MG

Hello Martin

You should have persuaded him to join the Forum! Then he could gain a wider insight into Great War history, and you would have saved yourself what was presumably a massive cut and paste job.

Well done, though. It can only help to raise awareness of the Forum's profile and expertise.

Ron

94 - no.2 is Etienne Clementel, French Finance Minister 1914. (?)

No. The 'money' was limitless, metaphorical and, for the recipients and many, many others disastrous

David

No. The 'money' was limitless, metaphorical and, for the recipients and many, many others disastrous

David

Alright then. How about Edward Carter Preston, designer of the Dead Man's Penny? But no. Again, I forget we are dealing with a July Crisis figure.

I give up. Like everyone else, it seems.

Oh and first use of the term 'the Extensive Library'? Steven Broomfield post number 199.

Modesty insists I deny all credit. I merely swiped it from use it in tribute to another Forum member.

Alright then. How about Edward Carter Preston, designer of the Dead Man's Penny? But no. Again, I forget we are dealing with a July Crisis figure.

I give up. Like everyone else, it seems.

Well at least you were giving it a go UG :thumbsup: By the way I think, after a suitable lapse of time, Edward Preston will make a very good WIT.

Well anyway I think it's high time to identify my bed blockers so here goes.

Number 1 is von Jagow the German Foreign Minister. Another case of the wrong person in the wrong job at the wrong time. An academic who was a rubbish public speaker he misread signals from Pourtales (hence the weeping) and assumed Russia would blink if faced with an Austrian attack on Serbia.

Number 2 is Count Szogyeny the Austrian Ambassador to Berlin, who carried the infamous 'blank cheque' from the Kaiser to Franz Josef.

So after the brief and unsuccessful foray into international diplomacy it's back to chaps in uniforms with moustaches. Who is this distinguished fellow:

post-66715-0-22330800-1405973697_thumb.j

David

That's a really annoying one David. I should know, but it's just not coming to me.

Kiggell? (he said with little confidence)

Mike

Afraid not Mike. This chap took over from his predecessor in unusual circumstances and then held the post for the rest of the war

David

For the dark bat of night hath flown. Better keep on topic or I will be 'huckled' by a Maude-rator

Mike

Sorry, I deleted the post to which you refer. I had alluded to "Come into the Garden Maud . . . . "

Thinks to self: Never explain . . .

Maude got the screaming ab-dabs, so 'tis said, from drinking unsterilized milk, and popped his clogs in Baghdad.

A bit gonglight for a man of his seniority. Don't know the first one, but the others appear to be 1911 Coronation, Queen's South Africa, King's South Africa.

For the dark bat of night hath flown. Better keep on topic or I will be 'huckled' by a Maude-rator

Mike

Great to have the pun-machine that is skipman back on board.

David

Marshall - who took over from Maude.

And of course 'nuff respect to The Lord Protector (presuming honorifics are still allowed) for this spot

David

Great to have the pun-machine that is skipman back on board.

David

You're too kind.

Well done Mr Drill.

David, did you get that from one of the archive.org books? I have seen it before.

Mike

You're too kind.

Well done Mr Drill.

David, did you get that from one of the archive.org books? I have seen it before.

Mike

Yes I did. I have another from the same source which I will post tomorrow.

David

This one may be a bit unfair. It is a well known photo, and IIRC I first saw it in Leon Wolff's "In Flanders Fields" in the late 1950s.

It cropped up time and again as a generic image of battlefield conditions in 1917, and eventually I saw the Vickers gunner (the man nearest the camera) named.

He hasn't got a wiki page, or anything like that, but I seem to recall that he survived the war and led a long life; the only man in the photograph to see the end of the war apparently. I think that after the photo became well known he came forward and identified himself.

I won't let it linger, you either know him or you don't.

Any takers ?

post-86463-0-88567500-1405979920_thumb.j

3 minutes Skippy ! Caramba !

I had remembered Le Brun, but not where I first saw him identified. After reading your post I pulled my copy of Macdonald off the shelf and I am reminded that there are several quotes from Le Brun, and more than one photo of him too.

Right then, try this 'un. I don't think we've had him before, but he has been a wrong answer along the Witline.

post-86463-0-59869800-1405981295_thumb.j

'Wild' Bill Donovan, later head of the OSS

khaki

That's the man - and what a man !

"The Last Hero"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._Donovan

Anybody remember the TV series "O.S.S" ?

The voiceover to the opening credits, showing a parachuting agent has always stuck with me, "These were the men who fought the lonely war, the silent war, behind enemy lines" to a background of stirring music. Ron Randell played the action hero, and Lionel Murton (a Canadian I think, who frequently appeared in British films and TV when an authentic transatlantic accent was required) played "The Chief". As the action took place in London and Europe, I don't think Murton was representing Donovan, though I may be wrong at this distance in time.

Who is this ? ? ?

Following something of a change of pace, he received a commission and was killed aged 25 in July 1916.

post-108430-0-78301700-1406027492_thumb.

Can't make out the badge - RAMC ? Or ASC - he is wearing the leather belt which went with mounted troops bandolier equipment . . .

Family snap - brim of a lady's hat on his right, child's hand linked in crook of his left elbow . . . . but who . . . ?

Can't make out the badge - RAMC ? Or ASC - he is wearing the leather belt which went with mounted troops bandolier equipment . . .

Family snap - brim of a lady's hat on his right, child's hand linked in crook of his left elbow . . . . but who . . . ?

ASC (Motor Transport) when this photograph was taken. Obtained a commission in the RFC.