Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

This lady opened a convalescent camp at her home in WW1.

An old "Antiques Roadshow" recently rescreened (Aspel era) came from the grounds . . . .

Who is she, and what was the name of her convalescent camp ?

I see that she has been portrayed in a TV drama series quite recently - not Crimson Field I hasten to add.

I have not watched any of the series, so I cannot say whether any reference was made to her convalescent camp.

attachicon.gifField Marshals and Generals.jpgI have an alternative variation on a theme. How many of these Field Marshals and Generals can you name without diving in to the extensive library? There are 22 in total in the painting by Sargent and 10 of them are Field Marshals. I managed to guess at 14 of the names but when it came to putting names to faces I got a miserable 5. What's your name to face score?

I've heard/read about this painting before but I only identified 2 of them. The men 2nd, 6th and 7th, 11th from the left back row look as though they were painted in after it was completed, so maybe they were later appointments than the others?

(By the way, we were talking about Victor Chapman earlier and I was going to ask if any books had been written about the Lafayette Escadrille (corrected!) Looked in EL and found that a book 'Victor Chapman's letters from France and a memoir', published 1917 is online here, so downloaded it to kindle:

https://archive.org/details/victorchapmanlet00chap)

This lady opened a convalescent camp at her home in WW1.

An old "Antiques Roadshow" recently rescreened (Aspel era) came from the grounds . . . .

Who is she, and what was the name of her convalescent camp ?

attachicon.gifhosp.jpg

Is this Evelyn Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire? Chatsworth House.

Lafayette Espadrille.

I'd give that book the boot, if I were you !

Is this Evelyn Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire? Chatsworth House.

No no, no.

à la baïonnette

Re: Generals painting. I managed 8, I think.

Birdwood, Botha, Rawlinson, Wilson, Plumer, Haig, French, and Currie.

à la baïonnette

It's the tablet I use throwing up suggested spellings, or it might be just me going daft. Wild guess, Duchess of Connaught or Nancy Astor

It's the tablet I use throwing up suggested spellings, or it might be just me going daft. Wild guess, Duchess of Connaught or Nancy Astor

Nope. What was the poilus nickname for their bayonet ?

attachicon.gifField Marshals and Generals.jpgI have an alternative variation on a theme. How many of these Field Marshals and Generals can you name without diving in to the extensive library? There are 22 in total in the painting by Sargent and 10 of them are Field Marshals. I managed to guess at 14 of the names but when it came to putting names to faces I got a miserable 5. What's your name to face score?

Well I managed 6 Gareth. However last year I was at the NPG with my daughter and her impossibly tall and annoyingly handsome boyfriend who, although 35 years younger than me, effortlessly named virtually all of them. It was both humbling and galling in equal measure. What's worse is that he is a thoroughly delightful chap so it is very difficult to be cross with him :hypocrite:

Although this is the first time anyone has posted the main picture we have seen a number of the individual studies that he did before painting the big picture and they are also superb.

David

Nearly same as me, but I think Smuts, not Botha

I`ve got Botha as third from the left. I`m thinking you have Smuts as second from the left?

After looking again, I think it could be Byng stood in front of Rawlinson.

It`s a great picture anyway. I can`t resist another look.

David, I`m stumped on your man. Any chance of a little clue, please? And by the way, hats off for all your efforts with the stats etc. :thumbsup:

Prince Lichnowsky? German Ambassador to the Court of St James.

Ron

Correct Ron. The picture is always captioned something like "The picture of despair" and is said to show the Prince walking through St. James's Park having just left the Foreign Office after hearing of the ultimatum to Germany. However I wonder what the evidence is that it was taken then and not just some other time he was taking a stroll in London. I hope it's true though because I put the picture right up there with "the lamps are going out..." as capturing the moment of realisation that the unthinkable was about to happen.

More July Crisis folk to come

David

:w00t::w00t:

Correct Ron. The picture is always captioned something like "The picture of despair" and is said to show the Prince walking through St. James's Park having just left the Foreign Office after hearing of the ultimatum to Germany. However I wonder what the evidence is that it was taken then and not just some other time he was taking a stroll in London. I hope it's true though because I put the picture right up there with "the lamps are going out..." as capturing the moment of realisation that the unthinkable was about to happen.

More July Crisis folk to come

David

:w00t::w00t:

Having now learned of the alleged background to the picture, it certainly seems to depict a certain air does it not? I could well believe the story behind it, but doubt that the photographer realised the significance at the time.

I think that might be Robertson, standing behind French.

Now I think this is a tricky one amongst the July Crisis folk:

post-66715-0-32337100-1405796879_thumb.j

David

The man with the sword, 5th from right has to be TEL's boss, General Allenby.

Belgian PM Charles de Broqueville

Afraid not Uncle George. My chap is another diplomat

David

Sorry not to reply sooner, and not individually. I think my post #47 was largely rhetorical to make the point (to myself!) that SD identified, many of the subjects are instantly known by either name or face but putting the two together without using the EL is often quite hard.I also posted it because I think it is a cracking painting and I saw it used in a presentation last week.

The full list of names is here: http://www.jssgallery.org/paintings/10089.htm

I think SD claim of 9 is the best score, just pipping neverforget's 8. Thank goodness David's future son in law doesn't inhabit this thread as there would be no hope for mere mortals if he did. And well done Ghazala for yet another TEL link.

(By the way, we were talking about Victor Chapman earlier and I was going to ask if any books had been written about the Lafayette Escadrille (corrected!) Looked in EL and found that a book 'Victor Chapman's letters from France and a memoir', published 1917 is online here, so downloaded it to kindle:

https://archive.org/details/victorchapmanlet00chap)

If anyone else is interested; two more online books 'The Lafayette Flying Corps Volume 1

https://archive.org/details/TheLafayetteFlyingCorpsvolume1

'The Lafayette Flying Corps' Charles Nordhoff

https://archive.org/details/lafayetteflying00nordgoog

Printed books:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Lafayette-Escadrille-Men-Series/dp/0831757124

http://www.amazon.com/Lafayette-Escadrille-Biographies-Dennis-Gordon/dp/0942258010

http://www.amazon.com/Lafayette-Escadrille-Herbert-Molloy-Mason/dp/B0006BM6D2

Recommendations for the best Lafayette Escadrille book on the Aerodrome forum

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/books-magazines/44693-best-lafayette-escadrille-book.html

The Dennis Gordon book, which is the rarest and most expensive one of the printed books listed on Amazon.com, seems to be the one most highly recommended.

(I'll shurrup now)

Is the upper one Spanish?