Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

10 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Uncle George, your picture looks a bit strange. It's almost as if the two men ate stood in front of a stage backdrop ...

I know exactly what you mean: that "tank" looks very odd. But the IWM caption tells us that the two men are watching a tank demonstration at Sautricourt.

10 minutes ago, Knotty said:

NF looks like Tank Corps to me,when enlarged

That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

8 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

and there's a tank in the background - was this taken at a demonstration

Indeed - it took me so long to post #7794 it got overtaken by yours. 

Edited by Uncle George
confusion over post numbers,

I believe you've given it away. Is it Brigadier General Sir Hugh Elles, commander of the Tank Corps?

Neverforget

Your No.7779 sent me off to look at something which I've had tucked away on file here for quite some time

5a3a68643f18e_NativeCanadiansoldiers.jpg.36e9b1235223d7b2e3ab2850b9afdf1f.jpg

I don't suppose your chap is on here

but you may wish to use the officer in a future WiT

6 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

Neverforget

Your No.7779 sent me off to look at something which I've had tucked away on file here for quite some time

5a3a68643f18e_NativeCanadiansoldiers.jpg.36e9b1235223d7b2e3ab2850b9afdf1f.jpg

I don't suppose your chap is on here

but you may wish to use the officer in a future WiT

Very kind of you Michael, but in order to do that I would have to know who he is, and I haven't a clue. Perhaps we could consider it now as someone put forward by your good self?

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Perhaps we could consider it now as someone put forward by your good self?

If these things can run concurrently, then OK

5a3a6c70afd15_NativeCanadianofficer.jpg.4a6fdd3c1c08f10f8478f38beeebcee7.jpg

Edited by michaeldr

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

One particular horse holds some relevance, but not cavalry. Really it's just a tale of two injuns.

NF

Took a bit of searching before finding him, but the top chap is Albert Mountain Horse, a true native of Canada, unfortunately lost his life to the effects of gas in 1915. His elder brothers were also enlisted as soldiers and served in the Great War.

http://www.cardstonhistoricalsociety.org/galleries/heroes/pdf/136599 Albert Mountain Horse.pdf

http://av.canadiana.ca/en/veteran/1191

The second fellow must have something to do with him but age wise there must be a couple of generations between them, cannot find a reference yet.

30 minutes ago, Knotty said:

NF

Took a bit of searching before finding him, but the top chap is Albert Mountain Horse, a true native of Canada, unfortunately lost his life to the effects of gas in 1915. His elder brothers were also enlisted as soldiers and served in the Great War.

http://www.cardstonhistoricalsociety.org/galleries/heroes/pdf/136599 Albert Mountain Horse.pdf

http://av.canadiana.ca/en/veteran/1191

The second fellow must have something to do with him but age wise there must be a couple of generations between them, cannot find a reference yet.

Albert Mountain Horse is correct John, and as you rightly say, the other fellow is indeed related to him, but by two generations less than a couple. 

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

If these things can run concurrently, then OK

5a3a6c70afd15_NativeCanadianofficer.jpg.4a6fdd3c1c08f10f8478f38beeebcee7.jpg

Is it Tobias Frazier, a Choctaw Indian code talker?

6 hours ago, neverforget said:

One of them kept a diary:

It was Alberts brother Michael, cannot believe the clarity of the photo, looks to modern.

Fair play NF, I even said he had two serving brothers, but could not find any images to relate to him.

Well that's finally put that one to bed. I thought he was a magnificent specimen in his mufti. 

See his likeness here, which is where I found the story.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1300818/mad-frankie-fraser-was-the-son-of-a-native-american-woman-and-a-canadian-fur-trader-who-lived-like-the-character-of-leonardo-di-caprio-in-movie-the-revenant/

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Is it Tobias Frazier, a Choctaw Indian code talker?

No, this is Great War and a Canadian

The lens does not lie, but he fooled the MO and knocked a decade+ off his age

His middle initial was 'O' and there are two versions of what that represents

The Mohawk one translates as 'beautiful mountain'

Edited by michaeldr

51 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

The lens does not lie, but he fooled the MO and knocked a decade+ off his age

His middle initial was 'O' and there are two versions of what that represents

The Mohawk one translates as 'beautiful mountain'

Is it this chap?

slide_9.jpg.c655ddf13f2d5aad02984d3d120a5246.jpg

1 hour ago, michaeldr said:

The Beautiful Mountain reference helped me as I came across it looking for NF’s A.M Horse and brothers of the Blood Tribe..

Onondeyho or Fred O Loft (O= Ogilvie)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Loft

Bu**er, must have been millisecond in posting, your first NF.

Edited by Knotty

29 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

Well done chaps!!!!

Just take a minute and look at his Bio here

http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/loft_frederick_ogilvie_16E.html

Well worth the read I believe

[the picture which I posted is from a contemporary French language publication le Miroir]

Yes that's quite a biography. An extraordinary man. Joined up at 56 years of age, met the King, and most certainly a first generation hero in many ways. Good post!

I need to work harder to keep up; I was convinced that Hugh Elles was a Canadian indian chief at one point there; I was all ready to reavaluate Cambrai. Crazy.

Pete.

19 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I need to work harder to keep up; I was convinced that Hugh Elles was a Canadian indian chief at one point there; I was all ready to reavaluate Cambrai. Crazy.

Pete.

Perhaps while he was a Regional Commissioner during the Second World War?   Wondered what that Indian chief was doing in the middle of a group of fire,em and police inspectors.......as if

Good points M.V; is your grinning chap still on the go or has that one passed me by too?

Pete.

18 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Good points M.V; is your grinning chap still on the go or has that one passed me by too?

Pete.

Pete-On the go- My apologies-I had not realised we were log-jammed with WIT candidates.  Your comment about him being a "grinning chap" will come back to bite-this man was anything but a barrel of laughs.

A couple of "wet haddock round the face" clues- Think Bill Ottley and orchestral music by Shoskatovich and you should get to him. Clear as a .......

No apologies needed M. V; it's me that is struggling to keep up. Perhaps being attacked by freshly caught fish might be the answer; I've been trying to clear my Christmas earworms with wall to wall 80's soul classics as an interim measure. I started looking for luminaries of the Russian Revolution when I first saw him, so far without success. Probably best for me to keep listening to Patrice Rushen rather than looking for more Russians.

Pete.