Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A beautiful day on the Salient

Marilyne

On 07/09/2018 at 12:17, Knotty said:

A photographic tour of the Salient?..... Who’s organising?.....When?..... Cost?

Now see what you have gone and done to my over active imagination........

I caught the Eurostar to Brussels and met up with Marilyne there. There was rather too much jeapoardy in making my connection between London Euston and St Pancras due to the late running of the Virgin service, but I managed to make my train just in time. Despite my hotel being too close to the Sunday morning vegetable market and most of the westward roads being closed we got to Ieper and parked up across the moat from the ramparts. I was almost inconsolable when we found that the fresh waffle outlet opposite the Cloth Hall was shut, but I choked back the tears and Marilyne got the number for the gate at St Eloi in the museum. We then worked our way down the line of the Messines operation from the building site that was Hill 60 to Ploegsteert Wood, had a late lunch at L'Auberge (waffles and ice cream) and then explored the wood after a trip to Prowse Point. This is where I took this rubbish photo from the Chrismastruceweg, I would be interested to see Marilyne's equivalent. The dial on my camera which selects mode had moved and the result was grainy. I didn't notice this until 36 hours later, cue loads more pixelated images.

1846520456_ProwsePoint2.JPG.33269f0d7b8d0845678b0630c828b72a.JPG

Marilyne dropped me off at the Holiday Inn in Englos outside Lille and I spent the next couple of days exploring the Lys valley in the company of my French friend Jack. I noticed the setting on the camera just too late to save a photo of Le Trou Aid Post, possibly the most beautiful cemetery I know, and up there with Ramparts. I got the train back from Lille Europe and the whole trip was excellent, apart from the fresh waffle shortfall situation of course. At the risk of embarrassing Marilyne she is brilliant company and hugely knowledgeable.

I'm sure we could organise something involving trains, planes or automobiles. I'm a danger to myself and others on continental roads (actually I'm a danger to myself and others period) so I'd pass on the automobiles bit, but Marilyne's tank is very comfortable, and you would get to meet the Famous Belgian Marching Bear, which was a highlight for me.

Pete.

Bear.JPG.d856667301b8e275c11d6046a78954a7.JPG

Same back to you Pete... it was a great day and the Bear was glad to make your acquaintance !!

As per request...

1262252239_CratersPlugstreetAPR15118.JPG.e66025e46cf8e8ba2fa915317bc57f75.JPG

M.

On 09/09/2018 at 11:43, Fattyowls said:

There are lots of bits of the salient that I need to photograph badly.

Surely it would be better to photograph them well? :thumbsup:

I'd come if there's a volunteer to push the wheelchair...

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Surely it would be better to photograph them well? :thumbsup:

I'd come if there's a volunteer to push the wheelchair...

I like to think it takes talent and ingenuity to take photographs as incompetently as I do. I do know how to take a decent photo but being an indolent neredowell I can't be bothered; if I were a better or nicer person I'd be ashamed. I will push the wheelchair, and you can point out what I'm doing wrong when I stop to take a photo.

13 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Same back to you Pete... it was a great day and the Bear was glad to make your acquaintance !!

As per request...

1262252239_CratersPlugstreetAPR15118.JPG.e66025e46cf8e8ba2fa915317bc57f75.JPG

M.

I just love the mauve tinge to the clouds that I completely failed to capture, despite the two photos being taken two metres apart and within seconds of each other. The only advantage my photo has is that it doesn't show the flagpoles which mark the appalling UEFA Christmas Truce memorial.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
Shoddy line spacing

59 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I like to think it takes talent and ingenuity to take photographs as incompetently as I do. I do know how to take a decent photo but being an indolent neredowell I can't be bothered; if I were a better or nicer person I'd be ashamed. I will push the wheelchair, and you can point out what I'm doing wrong when I stop to take a photo.

Offer accepted. Although, speaking from long experience of wheelchair's-eye view, I won't be able to see what you're doing wrong - unless you come down to my level ...

sJ

40 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Offer accepted. Although, speaking from long experience of wheelchair's-eye view, I won't be able to see what you're doing wrong - unless you come down to my level ...

sJ

No problem; I would do that anyway, and as for Marilyne, she thinks photos from a standing position are so last year. This is the Christmastruceweg as it passes Mud Corner cemetery with Ploegsteert Wood in the background. Toronto Avenue cemetery in the wood is just off to the left, but despite its name it is is full of Aussies, mostly from the Messines operation.

1114732724_MMatMudCorner.thumb.JPG.5ae5e897b2f249f2445a9932a4503fb6.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls

Nice :)

I've never been to the Salient, but very much want to.

When I went back and looked at the photos I took from that location look what I found - a half decent one of the lovely Prowse Point taken from the edge of the wood......

1176808247_ProwsePoint.thumb.JPG.adf218e7ba7275adb853a5f837a16222.JPG

Note the absence of Marilyne's mauve tinted little fluffy clouds. The hump on the horizon to the left of the cemetery is the top of the Kemmelberg.

Pete.

• 1 month later...

Just a question... anyone around in Ypres tomorrow pm - friday am ??

Am also planning a tour around Notre-Dame de Lorette - Lens - Bethune area for  15th - 16th November... of course with Bear and Camera !!

just holler if you're around!

M.

M, there are few things I'd rather do with my Thursday than wandering around Ieper, unfortunately I will be putting industrial quantities of Pumice Brown emulsion paint on the walls of the master bedroom at Owls Towers. Actually if today is anything to go by most of the paint will end up on me as my roller technique owes much to Jackson Pollock. Coincidentally I am writing about walking through the square, out to the Menin Gate then up the Menin Road. If you in the Grote Markt can you check that the fresh waffle shop opposite the Cloth Hall is still open? I've been disapointed with every waffle I've eaten since the last one I had from there.

Sadly I can't make Artois in November either but I think a thread of photos called something like 'Autumn in Artois' would be very popular.

Say hi to bear for me,

Pete.

P.S. I don't suppose you will be climbing to the top of the Cloth Hall Tower by any chance?

A good first part of the 24hours on the Salient... 

HDR was my friend today at Bard Cottage cemetery... because for the rest the weather is not so good for pics today. 

Bard Cottage is interesting with regards to layout... anyone tries to figure out the logic in the lines? 

tata for now... I'm off to the theatre!!! 

D94A0997.JPG.5d697fd9b62838b92802b7ae0a5e30e9.JPG

19 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

M, there are few things I'd rather do with my Thursday than wandering around Ieper, unfortunately I will be putting industrial quantities of Pumice Brown emulsion paint on the walls of the master bedroom at Owls Towers. Actually if today is anything to go by most of the paint will end up on me as my roller technique owes much to Jackson Pollock. Coincidentally I am writing about walking through the square, out to the Menin Gate then up the Menin Road. If you in the Grote Markt can you check that the fresh waffle shop opposite the Cloth Hall is still open? I've been disapointed with every waffle I've eaten since the last one I had from there.

Sadly I can't make Artois in November either but I think a thread of photos called something like 'Autumn in Artois' would be very popular.

Say hi to bear for me,

Pete.

P.S. I don't suppose you will be climbing to the top of the Cloth Hall Tower by any chance?

Pete, the  waffle place was certainly there (and very busy) last month. 

22 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Pete, the  waffle place was certainly there (and very busy) last month. 

Thanks mate, that is the best news I have had all day; I need to go back to see if I can eat my own bodyweight in fresh waffles. I might look at the odd battle site if I can still waddle.

Pete.

On 24/10/2018 at 23:16, Fattyowls said:

If you in the Grote Markt can you check that the fresh waffle shop opposite the Cloth Hall is still open? I've been disapointed with every waffle I've eaten since the last one I had from there.

Mission accomplished!!!!

20181025_180508.thumb.jpg.3b803361f61734b569c83e20ec4478ed.jpg

11 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Mission accomplished!!!!

That's just cruel. I was going to say your hairstyle suits you but I'm not going to now......:whistle:

Edited by Fattyowls

Hi all, 

so apart from annoying Fattyowls with waffle pictures (sorry, it was just toooo easy!!!) I did go on a little tour last thursday. 

First off to Godewaersvelde to visit the grave of Sister Kemp for my women on the western front project. I like Godewaersvelde... the architecture is interesting, as the graves stand more and more close together from beginning to end, giving a sense of inifinity...as if the rows never stop. 

D94A0928.JPG.10c8b8761ca2a167a5c2a509b98123af.JPG

Then I went on to Abele Aerodrome, as we did pass it from afar on the Yzer... interesting to find a cemetery named after an airfield with not a single airman on it. 

I did find this very poignant text on a gravestone: 

D94A0993.JPG.681b0fbefc0625c4f3bf0c8f60482156.JPG

Then one last stop before having to check into the hotel and get ready for the theatre evening, I stopped at Bard Cottage... there were still two busses parked at Essex Farm so I decided to leave that for another time and better light conditions. As already said, I like the completely illogical and kinda "messy" layout of the cemetery. played a bit with angles and light, and rows... 

D94A1018.JPG.bc76dbdd3dc1eff7518f4fb7271f35c2.JPG

D94A1021.JPG.b55166c49049d40ab4775264a36427c8.JPG

and at the end tried to reproduce an old photograph, but as I have no idea of which row this is... can't read the names on the crosses but just guessed this was first row and with the two crosses on the right being closer together... anyone who can tell me otherwise, I'll go back and rectify at the earliest occasion... 

500795181_bard-cottage.-Oldjpg.jpg.7190a4df45ee2fc3fd6324c961ef42c4.jpg

D94A1041.JPG.37c7263edee2c10a06ade7d40d46e5c5.JPG

Pictures of friday will follow... somewhere... 

have a nice halloween-week! 

M.

Edited by Marilyne

Well the 26th was just bad... grey, wet, first shower coming down as I came out of the hotel... not good!!! 

Nevertheless, I drove up to Lille Gate, very surprisingly met some friends and just made two pics relating to another thread and... despite the bad weather and all, managed this rather nice one: 

D94A0015.JPG.6df72214f909770c6245a8100229ac9b.JPG

Then I risked a quick stop at Perth (China Wall) but only post-production could save the few pics I manages before the next rain... NOT a good day... 

D94A0019.JPG.f543ff960480f93cba6e090a5301bad9.JPG

D94A0025.JPG.d9a1f55618bdb5eb4a5cfc28c2ba0396.JPG

D94A0034.JPG.db00b9327968254f989fbfbd4572fff2.JPG

D94A0049.JPG.f1cba40262113db6f6ecd58e53e86a39.JPG

• 1 year later...

Hi all, 

As promised, here some pics of my day on the Salient walking the "War Memories Walk 2020". Great even, the Drevestappers of Zonnebeke had a really nice track for us.

first stop of course was Tyne Cot... 

D94A0016.JPG.0a3a612152e885ebc1c62cd34703e08b.JPG

D94A0033.JPG.fe91818a3d561d5becd49f223d8b3583.JPG

D94A0044.JPG.4864828e8b99ab5bc4d406d1559bb3a8.JPG

First stop at Waterfields, then an extra turn for the 26Km track via the New Zealand Memorial and back to Waterfields. 

By now Boyfriend and his best mate had 3 St Bernardus - for 13 Km... time to crack on. 

Passed the Canadian Memorial at Passendale, 

D94A0061.JPG.a947cbb7dbda8bbde5be945208b81958.JPG

D94A0065.JPG.0624f8c76fdc802bbe0bf5898aa19f58.JPG

, then on to train line 64 on "the Road to Passchendaele" to Zonnebeke center.

Last turn was via Polygon Wood (not over the cemetery though), via De Dreve to the Borothers in Arms memorial (still not finished???) and back to the cars.

26 km... a nice little walk. 

D94A0071.JPG.c950a721018a3347fe2f08bdfc4afc5c.JPG

On to the next... 

Marilyne