Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A beautiful day on the Salient

Marilyne

As said already: the best way to discover the salient is... on foot!!

Nice 32km walk today, plain sun, along great places ... ideal to test my new walking lens, on my old but trustable Eos 350D

Started south from messines, to the Khaki Chums Cross

post-84394-0-26113000-1394998307_thumb.j

then further on, via the crossroad at Le Gheer, to Le Touquet,, a small detour through Pont rouge and then over some detours up to Ploegsteert

post-84394-0-71733100-1394998399_thumb.j

Did not really have time to visit the woods and the cemetery in the woods, that'll be for another time. But the new museum is interesting and the monument very impressive...

post-84394-0-99110700-1394998536_thumb.j

Then after a nice Passchendaele Beer, up again to Messines, passed the New Zealand Memorial and the Irish Peace Park, back to Messines, get the book stamped and back home...

post-84394-0-10161800-1394998598_thumb.j

But watch out for the guardian of Calvaire (Essex) Military Cemetery !!!!

post-84394-0-65758300-1394998751_thumb.j

Missed me by a few days! I think I will be back to cycle the area!

Me too ... on foot again. As I missed some stuff ... like the cemeteries in the woods itself, I've already drawn a route from the memorial up to St Quentin cabaret, the Pool of Peace, down to Messines, Petite Douve Farm and then the woods... to end up at l'Auberge for a late lunch !! Probably around the Easter holiday.

And I definitely will do the Course du Souvenir this year!!

M.

M (et ourse), my feet are starting to hurt just thinking about 35km. You must be very fit. Nice photographs too, even when I am familiar with places there is always something new when you see how other people view them. Can I make a request for a couple of photographs when you make your next trip?

Pete.

M (et ourse), my feet are starting to hurt just thinking about 35km. You must be very fit. Nice photographs too, even when I am familiar with places there is always something new when you see how other people view them. Can I make a request for a couple of photographs when you make your next trip?

Pete.

Sure Pete... If I find the topics, I'll be happy to take all the pics you want!!

Counts for anybody!!

MM.

PS... not that I want to brag... but 32 km is just a nice walk... on the 5th April we're doing a 50, as a warm up for an 80 on Eastern Saturday ... and then start the multiple-days marches... FUN!!

Or crazy... if you prefer :w00t::w00t:

Not that you want to brag! I read your idea about walking from Verdun to Ieper and I thought about asking if I could tag along but if you are going to do it in two days maybe I'll quietly forget about it. How does bear feel about it?

2 days??? I'm not THAT crazy... Bear's been sticking with me for 18 years without complaining... I'm sure he'll enjoy it!

I would need logistics...

M.

10 miles a day is an easy stroll. Given the terrian. My mother is 65 does 10 miles in a day in the Brecon Becons with minimul support on multi days.. Right kit and attitude will see you through with a logistics support. Go for it! :thumbsup:

What requests do you have Fatty owls, small chance I got some. 900 photos taken in Arras, Somme and Flanders!

10 miles a day is an easy stroll. Given the terrian. My mother is 65 does 10 miles in a day in the Brecon Becons with minimul support on multi days.. Right kit and attitude will see you through with a logistics support. Go for it! :thumbsup:

What requests do you have Fatty owls, small chance I got some. 900 photos taken in Arras, Somme and Flanders!

I think I could just about manage that even with my fallen arches, but as Marilyne said it's all about logistics. I've already got a request out with Renaart for a photo of the slag heaps at Loos and Notre Dame de Lorette from Spanbroekmoelen, as he's just across the valley I'm hoping he'll be able to take one on a nice clear day. I took some last September but although I could see the features clearly with both naked eye and binoculars the photos didn't come out. The other one which would fit in with Marilyne's route is a little detour to what used to be Ontario Farm on the road up to Mesen to photograph the pond in the farmyard which is where the mine that didn't create a crater went off. I've got a bit of a thing about the mine craters and the Ontario Farm example is interesting from a geological perspective.

Appreciate the offer, Pete.

Sorry no Loos this time. Ontario farm and a crater rings some bells. I had a thing for taking pictures of farms and the landscape, an intrest from a geographic teacher I had! I also paid a lot of attention to the roads for cycling purposes. With Great war, the geography, family and cycling intrests I need a very long trip to F&F in the future.

Will check and get back to you later.

That is dependent on the individual's abilities and state of health, what might be an easy stroll for some, can be a crippling and painful attempt for others. My wife can walk limited distances, but is handicapped by very painful arthritis and no amount of 'right kit and attitude' will see her through, even though she is very brave and game.

khaki

Each to abilty Kakhi i should of added he cavet "resonable fittness"! Sorry to hear of your wifes arthritis not a nice condition.

No offence taken, I might be a bit over sensitive from personal awareness, but there are a lot of people that would love to have the ability (including myself) to be able to undertake various physical activities that seem simple to others. Walking without pain is now a forgotten luxury.

regards

khaki

Great pictures Marilyne, thanks.

Ontario Farm on the road up to Mesen to photograph the pond in the farmyard which is where the mine that didn't create a crater went off. I've got a bit of a thing about the mine craters and the Ontario Farm example is interesting from a geological perspective.

Ontario farm is on the next walk, probably during the Easter holiday week, beginning of April. I'll let you know what I have by then!

Anyone else, just let me know..; back in Belgium for a while and a lot of walking planned!!

MM.

Walking without pain is now a forgotten luxury.

Amen to that, Khaki, but ibuprofen is a wonderful thing. With arthritic hips and knees, I have to decide whether a long walk is 'worth the candle' and, in a perverse way, it makes those walks you do decide to undertake all the more rewarding. WW2 Bren gun carriers being virtually unobtainable these days, I am seriously thinking of procuring a John Deere agricultural quad-bike ...

Why do none of the splendid pictures show Marilyne and the bear?

Fatty owls, no joy sorry.

Absolutely no problem matey. I appreciate you looking. Anyway I have a cunning plan......

A propos the discussion we have been having about the WFA. This is not about THE salient, it is about the Ypres salient. What about St Mihiel?

Why do none of the splendid pictures show Marilyne and the bear?

Because the Bear is mostly on the backpack and her faithfull donkey (me) too busy carrying him around and making the pics... ha ha...

But... no sacrifice is too much, and as this is a request... the most important moment of the marching day is mostly the Arrival Beer, and in this case, it was not only a very nice one in an amazing place, but also well chosen!!

post-84394-0-62554800-1395437372_thumb.j

greetz,

M + B

Absolutely no problem matey. I appreciate you looking. Anyway I have a cunning plan......

Does this plan involve sending yours truly over the top to walk straight to some well chosen places and take the most daring pictures of cemeteries ever seen, as the danger of an even further addiction? ????

Does this plan involve sending yours truly over the top to walk straight to some well chosen places and take the most daring pictures of cemeteries ever seen, as the danger of an even further addiction? ????

Yep, that pretty well sums it up. It's only a pond in a farmyard, but it's the Messines mine that didn't leave a crater and it requires a top quality photographer for this dangerous mission......

Pete.

Enjoying this brisk walk, getting me mentally sharp and fit for our September visit! ( note to self, another 5 minutes on the exercise bike!)

Cheers

Shirley