Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A beautiful day on the Salient

Marilyne

May I post one or two of mine on this thread? Before a Fatty owls has any more cunning plans! :thumbsup:

Sure... I'll know what to look for!!

M

link does not work...

M.

heyyyyyy ... just noticed I made Lieutenant Colonel !!!! :w00t::w00t: :w00t:

too bad I can't take the nomination on to real-life !!!!

MM.

Hi ya

Just reading this, I'm getting excited about my 1st visit to Ypres later this year. I'm doing an organised tour (as i will be travelling on my own eeek!! :w00t: )

and will be going to hill 60 Vancouver & Hell Fire Corner, Hooge Crater and obviously the Menin Gate & Tyne Cot. and museums

Is there anywhere else you would recommend to a first timer battlefielder??

Any info would be great

Cheers

Rachel

:thumbsup:

Pool of Peace (Spanbreokmolen Crater) is a must in my mind and if a nice clear day climb the 230 odd steps to the top of the cloth hall, whilst visiting the In Flanders Field museum.

That must be Vimy Ridge ... right??

I've been there on my tour last year : http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193250&hl

MM.

That must be Vimy Ridge ... right??

I've been there on my tour last year : http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193250&hl

MM.

You madam are correct. Taken with my back to the Algirian memorial, so looking back down the ridge with the road to my left and rear. I see you used Paul Reeds book, He was my guide. Top chap.

R30vp, Read up on everything to do with where you visit. To put places to names and see the terrian is excellent. Also take a few poppy crosses from the RBL with you. I come accross a few graves that needed a sign of a visit.

I have an ever growing list of places to see, have a feeling i wont fit it all in, in one weekend!!!

The purpose of my trip is to visit 3 graves, 2 soldiers are off my local war memorial and have been researching them (becoming quite an obsession!!) and the 3rd is one of the guys sergeant who died along side him and is also berried next to him.

So looking forward to it cant wait :thumbsup:

Rachel

A weekend? You need a few years :thumbsup: Planning to go back in the summer, I have other reasons for my vists to the Somme. My bloodline is from there!

I have done all the ww1 and ww2 battlefields when i was younger with my parents, back then i didn't really appreciate what i saw, so I thought ti was time to go back and take it all in again. by the sounds of it my next trip i think will be a week at least!!

Hi Rachel,

you seem to have a plan already... I'd definitely recommend taking your time in Ypres. don't rush your visits !! To get the other side, Langemark cemetery is a very nice place to visit also as would be the death trench in Dixmuide.

When will you be coming??

anyway, if during your time, you see a bear on a backpack ... just yell... that'll be me!!

Ken, I'm going to scan my map overlay next week-end, maybe that'll give an idea...

MM.

Hello Rachel, I know exactly how you are feeling! Getting down to detailed planning is very exciting, while you want to leave a bit to chance and the pleasure of random visits, conversations, discoveries etc, on the other hand you don't want to waste a single moment!

We have the chance to visit in September.and are busy planning ours too

Have fun with planning

Cheers

Shirley

MM I'm going in August hopefully the weather will b good. will look out for you and your bear :thumbsup:

I'm learning so much at the moment through my research. and by chance I will be going to the areas where my to soldiers sadly died. so not only will I be visiting their graves also the where they fell.

only 144 days to go!!!

Rachel

August... we'll be there... between the 19th and the 23rd... just some 10.000 people walking around...

M.

Try the Zonnebeke chateau museum, there are a couple of good bars nearby and from there you can walk the old railway line that take you up towards Tyne cot. If you stay on the old line and cross the road that leads to the cemetery you will come to the location where a few years ago a number of fusiliers were recovered. You can then continue on up to Passchendaele. I'll be there at the end of April for a few days. Good to find another forum member from Kent.

MM

I will be there from the 15th-18th so will just miss you.

Just hoping i will have time to have a look around after I have got back from the guided tours! not sure if to stick with them or go it alone hmmmmmm

Rach

Take the tour. The first time is always recon and will be useful to get some expert opinions.

MM

I will be there from the 15th-18th so will just miss you.

Just hoping i will have time to have a look around after I have got back from the guided tours! not sure if to stick with them or go it alone hmmmmmm

Rach

Maybe not... I might do another recce just before the march. Depends on when I have leave...

M.

Take the tour. The first time is always recon and will be useful to get some expert opinions.

think i will stick with the tour, no chance of me getting lost then!! :w00t:

Just noticed I'm now a sergeant ha ha

Rach

Since you are going to Hooge Crater CWGC, cross the road and walk uphill about a hundred years. Turn left towards the hotel, on the gravel, and follow the fence. At the gate, put a euro in the honesty box....you won't regret it. It is like an open air museum, with silent pickets, barbed wire, mine craters, dugouts, communication trenches, snipers shields, etc., etc.,.....and you an touch them all.

A euro well spent.....

Bruce

Cheers Bruce

Hope you mean a hundred yards not years!! :w00t:

Have taken a note of that, sounds very interesting

Rach