Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering Great-Uncle Lt Kurt Thielicke

egbert

With deep respect I want to remember Kurt Thielicke, Leutnant d.R. (Lieutenant) RIR 36, who was killed in action at Gueudecourt, 1 October 1916.
I invite you all to share a second and remember a young man who died at age 21. The family branch does not exist anymore, so nobody knows him anymore nor will remember him - he is a soul lost in space. Recently I found a couple of field letters, one portrait picture and his bible with vitae. Pals, that's all what is left of this young Lieutenant .
Kurt Thielicke was born 27 January 1895 in Halle. He was a young university student when he volunteered to join the Army 8 August 1914. On 22 September 1916 he was stationed at Gueudecourt, Somme and was killed as platoon leader Pionierzug. At this very day, the 12 th Div (British) with 36 and 37 Bde were opponents.
Please see the picture and subsequent aerial with the trench marked where he was killed in action.
Rest in Peace wherever you are!

P.S Thanks for Malcolm and Annette supporting the research!

post-80-1159885446.jpg

Egbert

I agree with the others, and thank you for sharing the memory with us.

SN

Hi Egbert

Sorry I am late posting. Thanks to you Egbert, Leutnant Kurt Thielicke, is not totally forgotten. Here is to all the forgotten men of Great War.

Annette

• 2 years later...

Sorry Kurt, sorry pals of being a bit late this year with remembering Kurt Thielicke. After a long journey from the States, I found the only piece of artifact that hints to the former existence of a young man. That's really all what is left in time and space !

A huge antique bible. Kurt's father wrote the complete vitae of his son KIA 1 October 1916 near Gueudecourt on page 1. That's the real value of this book. I started researching Kurt from this page, and a nice spotted story evolved over time.

Leutnant Kurt Thielicke , KIA 1 October 1916, you are remembered.

post-80-1159885095.jpg

post-80-1159885139.jpg

I tried to repost the maps yesterday, but had to resize them to below 100kB and the result was not good: too small to recognize details. I believe the original posting contained a 200-300kB maps which is not possible anymore here

• 1 month later...

What a day, what a remarkeable day and coincidence!

Scanning some 500 aerials from an aviators album, I stumbled by sheer accident over this aerial:

Kurt Thielicke was allowed to live in this picture for another 12-24 hrs until KIA near Gueudecourt. The aerial, dated 30.9.1916 was taken directly above the trench where he stayed. So somewhere here Greatuncle Kurt, still living, waits for sunrise, the day his parents lost their only child.

post-80-1162666955.jpg

post-80-1162666991.jpg

Hello Egbert , Roel

Not a great deal changes!

Andy

:)

had to resize it so the quality ain't so good

post-10939-1163074536.jpg

Hello Egbert,

You have some amazing materials on family history and are quite lucky in that regard. I was wondering? Would you know if you ever had a relative named Albert Thielicke? or Thielecke?

Ralph

Yes Andy , I have been there , right on the spot. It was a devastated area and today -nothing to be seen, just peaceful farm country

I was wondering? Would you know if you ever had a relative named Albert Thielicke? or Thielecke?

There was an amazing programme on Armistice day on History Civilisation channel on Sky. Albert Thielicke was found buried at the Heidenkopf, by the group 'No Mans Land', and identified by his bank papers, still in his pocket.

I was wondering? Would you know if you ever had a relative named Albert Thielicke? or Thielecke?

There was an amazing programme on Armistice day on History Civilisation channel on Sky. Albert Thielicke was found buried at the Heidenkopf, by the group 'No Mans Land', and identified by his bank papers, still in his pocket.

I Pm'd the answer already to Ralph: no connection to Kurt Thielicke

I found the only piece of artifact that hints to the former existence of a young man. That's really all what is left in time and space !

A

Egbert, just catching up on this thread (it started before I joined GWF).

My ageing eyes might be deceiving me, but I feel I see a familial likeness (in the set of the jaw) between

Kurt and a certain young Egbert (of 1970's vintage)? Or is he not a blood relative of yours?

If he is, and I am right, then something of his shared, inherited genes is also still with us!

Ian

Simply: I don't know Ian, nobody from the two families who knows can tell anymore -they are all gone....

But a bi- product of my thinking is: Kurt is not my GGuncle, but my Great-uncle. so I will correct the thread header

Edited by egbert