Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering Great-Uncle Lt Kurt Thielicke

egbert

Great work Steve, thank you. I've been threatening to buy Sly a beer for all his great work and knowing what he looks like will be a good start.

Pete.

P.S. Doesn't the Butte de Warlencourt look different without the trees and bushes. It might be the misty autumn weather but it starts to look menacing.

• 11 months later...

This is a fascinating story, nice to be reminded of it and hopefully never to be forgotten....................

I myself visited the location of the trench where poor Kurt died in 2016, diificult to imagine how it all must have looked in 1916....

The reason for me being in at that area was that my Grandfather, Private 23800 Harry Megson who was in the 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellingtons Regiment (part of the 12th Division) were in the vicinity just a few days later when on the 12th October 1916 the battalion assembled in Ranger, Windy and Thistle trench to face the German front line at Le Transloy.

They went over the top at 2.05pm.

N. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎06‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 09:16, Ian N Megson said:

This is a fascinating story, nice to be reminded of it and hopefully never to be forgotten....................

I myself visited the location of the trench where poor Kurt died in 2016, diificult to imagine how it all must have looked in 1916....

The reason for me being in at that area was that my Grandfather, Private 23800 Harry Megson who was in the 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellingtons Regiment (part of the 12th Division) were in the vicinity just a few days later when on the 12th October 1916 the battalion assembled in Ranger, Windy and Thistle trench to face the German front line at Le Transloy.

They went over the top at 2.05pm.

N. 

Sorry, I only saw your post today. Thanks for remembering all dead from Gueudecourt ridge

2 hours ago, egbert said:

Thanks for remembering all dead from Gueudecourt ridge

Seconded.

Pete.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure that Kurt has been forgotten - I found a tribute to him when I visited Guedecourt last year to lay a wreath to a long-lost relative, killed nearby when serving with the 36 Brigade MGC.

23 hours ago, roger pierson said:

I'm not sure that Kurt has been forgotten - I found a tribute to him when I visited Guedecourt last year to lay a wreath to a long-lost relative, killed nearby when serving with the 36 Brigade MGC.

Wow, would you care to give me the precise location please for my next visit?

• 1 year later...

Not forgotten.

Pete.forget-me-not-flowers-3.jpg.6eeddfc5b16fa95ed956b4893b3441fa.jpg

• 1 year later...

Brilliant Egbert; I've always liked the one of Kurt as a student but this really brings him to life as a person.

Pete.

I received two pictures today with the actual place of 1st burial when kia 1916. It is the old premise of the German cemetery in Bertincourt where Kurt was buried. A memorial is the lone survivor of the former miltary cemetery. This is the place Kurt was buried until sometime later in 1916 when his father came to pick up the remains for family burial in Halle / Saale.

1409709198_BertincourtDeutscherFriedhof.jpeg.e9102c81b6b566029d16aedb2c8558f9.jpeg

120675744_BertincourtDeutscherFriedhof2.jpeg.7023492b87b8515bee6102728a0c2dfa.jpeg

The home memorial for RIR 36 in Halle which was built to remember after the war in the 20s, has been destroyed by the East German communists in the late 1940s, appr. 1947. Plaques were smashed as was the masonry work. Nothing left today

denkmal-der-gefallenen-vom-fs-rgt-36-rir-36-und-landw-i-r-36-in-halle-a-d-saale_15118451346_o.jpg.7f06c4d39fe687279e3ed05c077287ca.jpg

Great photos !

Egbert, I believe you were yourself in the Air Force, Bertincourt cemetery has a strong connection with it !
The monument at Bertincourt was dedicated to German airmen, there is a plane carved behind it and names on both side but they have disappeared now. One of them could have been  Hermann Keller, Feldflieger Abteilung 32, who lost his life at Bertincourt on 26 June 1916. I believe he was buried there and after the war he was reburied at Neuville Saint-Vaast German cemetery. I don't know who were the other airmen... but maybe someone knows.

About 10 meters from that monument in the civilian cemetery is a grave of Marcel Silvestre de Sacy, a French airman. He was flying on a Morane Saulnier 406 and was shot down by Me-1019's and at crashed at Bertincourt. The propeller on his grave is believed to be from his plane.

SlyIMG_6893.JPG.132b11e9141c9a5e1cb74ec421508d88.JPGIMG_6900.JPG.024e9996ebe8b95e8b8610f31d701e55.JPG