Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering Great-Uncle Lt Kurt Thielicke

egbert

As a junior member of GWF, I have only just seen this thread and the significance of the date to Egbert. My thoughts are your great uncle and on all those who fought and the many who died in the Great War.

Trajan

• 10 months later...

Hello Egbert

Here ar the two crosses that I placed on a fence post near Gueudecourt last September. In memory of both our greatuncles who died after serving in the vicinity.

Regards

Terry

post-66-0-16214600-1345904151_thumb.jpg

Terry, thank you once again here in this thread. I still cannot believe how beautiful and in which detail the 2 crosses have been crafted. Absolute phantastic gesture and what symbology: both soldiers died next to each other and together continue serving in the Great Army up there. The picture proving their eternal bond with your solid wire bound tight

• 1 month later...

Not forgotten.

Today is the 96th anniversary of the death of my Greatuncle Leutnant Kurt Thielicke. He was killed in action in front line position near Gueudecourt.

post-80-0-95393000-1349053647_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Very interesting and moving forum.  My wife's cousin (once or twice removed) 2nd Lt Robert Henry Dryerre was also killed on 1st October 1916 whilst leading his platoon of Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry on an attack on Rainbow Trench which adjoined the trench in which Kurt Thielicke was killed (or so I believe from the small scale maps I have seen),

I aim to be at Thiepval on 1st October this year to commemorate Robert Henry as he has no known grave.  I will say a silent prayer for Kurt too

• 2 weeks later...

Today and within the hour, exactly 100 years ago, my Great-uncle Kurt Thielicke was killed in action in trench system "Eiserner Riegel" close to Gueudecourt. He was only allowed to live for 22 years.

In remembrance a French TV station films a short story today about Leutnant Thielicke at Gueudecourt.

R.I.P.

P1070166.JPG

Edited by egbert

A sobering thought and reminder of events a century ago... And all those other youngsters who died the same day...

For Kurt and all the others in that muddy corner of Picardie. Not forgotten.

Pete.

Cornflower Small.JPGforget-me-not-flowers small.jpgpapaver_rhoeas_common_field_poppy_00_flower_15-06-08_1.jpg

Thanks guys for remembering my relative.

@ Pete: cornflowers are the symbolic flowers for Germany what the poppies are for England - both are used as flowers of remembrance to their dead from the Great War.

Cornflowers and poppies always grow together like brothers in the fields. What better symbolic character can you think of when remembering the killed young and old soldiers from both sides of the Great War. All of them fought in the same field and look upon us from the Great United Army

1 hour ago, egbert said:

Thanks guys for remembering my relative.

@ Pete: cornflowers are the symbolic flowers for Germany what the poppies are for England - both are used as flowers of remembrance to their dead from the Great War.

Cornflowers and poppies always grow together like brothers in the fields. What better symbolic character can you think of when remembering the killed young and old soldiers from both sides of the Great War. All of them fought in the same field and look upon us from the Great United Army

That is very interesting Egbert; I have always associated cornflowers with French remembrance as le bluet. I associate forget me nots with Germany (and Newfoundland in Canada too), and my friend Marilyne tells me that the Marguerite daisy has the same symbolism in Belgium. Poppies of different colours grow alongside cornflowers, forget me nots and daisies in my garden so I can remember them all.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

That is very interesting Egbert; I have always associated cornflowers with French remembrance as le bluet. I associate forget me nots with Germany (and Newfoundland in Canada too), and my friend Marilyne tells me that the Marguerite daisy has the same symbolism in Belgium. Poppies of different colours grow alongside cornflowers, forget me nots and daisies in my garden so I can remember them all.

Pete.

So sorry, "Vergissmeinnicht" (forget me not) it is :ph34r:     (embarrassed)

Edited by egbert

I want to express my sincerest thanks to Sly, who visited today the spot where my Great-uncle was killed in action.

Kurt 1.10.2016.jpg

Photo courtesy of Sly, Sylvestre B.

The fine cross of remembrance was placed on the spot of "Eiserner Riegel" / "Bayonet Trench"

1.10.2016-Kurt.jpeg

Photo courtesy of Sly, Sylvestre B.

Great work by Sly; a fitting tribute.

Pete.

• 1 month later...

Sly has informed me that Kurt Thielicke's story will be presented this Saturday on French Television. it will be in the news at 12.15 and 19.15 on channel France 3 Picardie.

Sadly I cannot watch French TV here, but in case anybody has access - please let me know how the short clip was received.

Hi Egbert,

I watched the piece on France 3 - Picardie which Sly (Sylvestre Bresson) presented very well. There has been a feature on the battle each day this week and today's was on three men (French, German and British) who were killed towards the end of the battle. Kurt Thielicke was the German.

The programme doesn't finish until 7.00pm (GMT) or 8.00pm French/German time. Once it has you should be able to view it here:

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/picardie/emissions/jt-1920-picardie

Steve