Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering Great-Uncle Lt Kurt Thielicke

egbert

No no Kurt, I did not forget you!

I was for sure the only human being remembering you October 1st under the stars of southern France from where I returned today.

I remembered all day long! That you gave your live for a better future. Your parents did not know what happened to you 91 years ago near Gueudecourt. Nothing is left of you, no grave, no first degree family members will remember - you are just gone as so many others.

I thought to myself what was your ultimate sacrifice worth, what was it worth to die as a 21 year young student, a volunteer of his Magdeburg home regiment?

The only answer i came along October 1st was:

I am here some generations later, enjoying the French hospitality, travelling w/o passport to a friendly neighbor, feeling like home....this is the big European achievement but needed 2 wars and maybe YOUR sacrifice.....

• 11 months later...

Today is Kurt Thielicke's day again. Another year passed and his soul is remembered only by those for a brief moment in time who read this posting. Nothing more left of Kurt Thielicke than a grandnephew and a few GWF pals remembering.

Please remember Leutnant d.R. Kurt Thielicke, KIA 1 Oct 1916 near Gueudecourt.

R.I.P.

Egbert.

May they rest in peace, all those who gave their lives on this day.

Paul.

How amazing that so many people still remember Kurt after all this time, I am sure he would be so proud,

Richard

Thanks pals. What a remarkeable day 92 years ago:

Sunday 1 October 1916

Temperature 64 F; sunny day

This is the reason for Kurt for never returning back home:

"12th Division relieved the 21st division. the bombardment started at 7 a.m., increasing in ferocity until zero hour at 3.15 p.m.. special Brigade, RE had installed 36 oil projectors in gird trench. Thirty of these fired, enveloping the German line opposite the New Zealand troops in red flame and heavy black smoke."

Panorama view along Bayonet trench, NW of Gueudecourt. This is the area Kurt was killed October 1st. The view (angle) starts at his regiment's left wing and stretches along the area of responsibility towards NW , direction "Luisenhof"

post-80-1222892693.jpg

Egbert.

The rememberance of Kurt may be fleeting but thanks to this Forum it is more than most of us will enjoy after 92 years.

RIP Kurt.

Neil

Egbert

You said on my thread yesterday.........

...and also my Greatuncle Lt Kurt Thielicke, who was kia 1 Oct 1916 nearby, close to Gueudecourt. May former friend and foe rest in peace united in eternity

I looked back on your most interesting thread and informative. I was most interested in the aerial shots the day before, do you have any that cover the Flers - Le Sars area please. I would be most greatfull if you do.Thank you in advance.

Paul.

Paul, most certainly I do have aerials of Flers, dated 12.11.1916 Flers-Gueudecourt, dated 30.9.1916, no Le Sars. Email me your exact pinpointed area of interested and I will see what I can do for you.

• 11 months later...

Egbert,

We will never forget him.

RIP Kurt.

Susan.

It's a great thing that we can remember the victims of war from all the nations involved. RIP Kurt.

Keith

Though I just met him, I will remember him.

My sincere thanks to you Egbert for sharing his story, and keeping his memory alive.

-Daniel

Thanks pals. What a remarkeable day 92 years ago:

Sunday 1 October 1916

Temperature 64 F; sunny day

This is the reason for Kurt for never returning back home:

"12th Division relieved the 21st division. the bombardment started at 7 a.m., increasing in ferocity until zero hour at 3.15 p.m.. special Brigade, RE had installed 36 oil projectors in gird trench. Thirty of these fired, enveloping the German line opposite the New Zealand troops in red flame and heavy black smoke."

Egbert.

May he rest in peace.

I find the New Zealand connection very interesting after all the years.

Tony

I am very touched by all of your comments. Thank you so very much to remember this almost forgotten soul who sadly died way too young

Egbert, what is the document in post #40, please?

Thanks for the story.

Gwyn

Gwyn, its an excerpt from the Ehrentafel, an annex within the regimental history of RIR 36 where all kia are honored. He is no 176 of 198 from 1st Kompanie kia in the Great War

post-80-1254470056.jpg

• 1 year later...

Unexpected discovery yesterday!

I stumbled across 2 pieces of jewelry by shear accident which I had inherited by my mother some 10 years ago. Examining the pieces I discovered the marriage rings of Kurt Thielicke 's parents who survived their only son and grieved so long over their child kia at the Somme. The ring is from his father (Paul Thielicke), altered to a woman's ring and the brooch is made from the mothers marriage ring. Nice surviving memories of an extinct family. Hope my children will honor these >100 year old pieces.....

post-80-0-46129700-1310583787.jpg