Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Camel Corps

stevenbecker

This is a photo of my grandfather John C Funnell from the Imperial Camel Corps in Egypt on his camel. I'm sorry for the poor quality, it is on a postcard. 

John C Funnell ICC WW1.jpg

Andrew,

Thanks again mate that does help.

Nottidge must have moved to the ICC either late 1917 or early 1918 as the first recorded mention is him turning up is in the fighting at Musselabeh with the 10th Company April 1918He appears to have stayed with that company for a while shown with Buxton's Force to TEL 7-18 att ICC depot 9-18

I did wonder when he served on Staff as Capt but that could be the Mil Prison duty?

As to Blyde thanks I have the photos of his service in the ranks at Gallipoli and with Maj Gooch.

That did posse a question as to who the second officer shown as seconded in Oct 1916 with the ICC with Inchbald, if not Blyde ?

Unless it was Blyde and he returned to the Berks by Feb 1917?

Of cause the 2Bn ICC was used in the Nekhl operation

15-2-17  operation to Nekhl from Serapeum by LtCol Grant's 11 LHR (420 men) + part 124 FAmb (26 men) + Wireless pack Sect with Capt Stirling Gen Staff & Lt Stuart Intell officer along with 9Co (60 men) from Shallufa return 22-2-17

16-2-17  Hassana operation by Maj Bassett's 2Bn ICC (5Co 6Co 7Co) + sect 14Co + sect HK&SMB + Scottish FAmb & half Troop of 2/1 Cheshire Field Troop RE att Maj Greenwood & Lt Herbert (DMC Intell) to Hassana *captured 3 officers & 20 men rtn  21-2-17

17-2-17   shown MG Sect (148 camels) Royal Engineers Sect (14 camels) +  Royal Engineers (TF) Sig Section (10 camels) MVS (52 camels) also shown  + Ammo Coln (59 camels and 23 Egyptian drivers) mustered at Abbassia

19-2-17   reported first man to be evac by air when the wounded Pte W MacGregor was flown out by BE 2c (4442) 14 Sqn RFC Capt Dempsey/Lt Cullen after being shot WIA 18-2-17 during operation at Hassana by Maj Bassett 2Bn

Cheers

S.B

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I'm trying to find out if my Great Grandfather served in the camel corps and I'm not really sure how to go about it as finding records for him is proving difficult. His name was Pvte Matthew Murphy 240404, from Rochdale and from what I can find, was part of the 1/6th Battalion Territorial Force, joining at Rochdale in summer 1914 as part of the Lancashire Fusiliers Brigade of the East Lancashire Division. My Grandma had always said that he was part of the camel corps and indeed we have photographs of him serving in Cairo (and with a camel), however it does appear that the 1/6th Battalion were engaged in combat near Suez and I'm not sure if the Camel Corps 'memory' was more an assumption! Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

Frances

Mate,

Sorry I have no record of Mat being in the Camel Corps as yet

While the Lancashire Fus was not a unit they (ICC) drew from, but I do show only a hand full men from that Regt.

It was common for most soldiers to have a photo taken in Egypt on a camel when at Giza, as they still do today.

While 1/6Bn was in Egypt with the 42nd Div for a while until disbanding.

The main Infantry units they drew from were the 53rd (Welsh) Div and 54th (East Anglian) Div 

So I am unsure if he did serve in the ICC, while he may have been in the CTC, as it took many men from many units in Egypt

Sorry

S.B

3 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Mate,

Sorry I have no record of Mat being in the Camel Corps as yet

While the Lancashire Fus was not a unit they (ICC) drew from, but I do show only a hand full men from that Regt.

It was common for most soldiers to have a photo taken in Egypt on a camel when at Giza, as they still do today.

While 1/6Bn was in Egypt with the 42nd Div for a while until disbanding.

The main Infantry units they drew from were the 53rd (Welsh) Div and 54th (East Anglian) Div 

So I am unsure if he did serve in the ICC, while he may have been in the CTC, as it took many men from many units in Egypt

Sorry

S.B

Thank you so much, I'll keep looking!

• 1 year later...

Hi. I know this is an old post, but if anyone reads this who has posted about having information and photos of second Lieutenant Thomas Rowland Smith. I would love to have a copy. He was my grandad's great uncle. Thanks in advance!

Mate,

Lt Thomas Rowland Smith 

Tos 9Co 2-18 ICC WIA 30-3-18 (mentioned shot by sniper) at Amman & died from wounds DoW 30-3-18 buried place about two miles west of Amman on the main road to Jericho later grave lost listed on Jerusalem Memorial Ex 1/1 Nottingham Yeo (Sherwood Rangers) (1172) and  prom2/Lt 1/1 Nottingham Yeo (Sherwood Rangers) 2-18

I check my many photos of Camel Corps Officers but found none of Lt Smith a lone.

I do have some of groups of 9th Company Officers of whom Lt Smith maybe one, but who he is in these I am unsure?

As details of Lt Smith in when he joined the ICC are a bit short on (I did find he gained his com in Feb 1918 so he may not be in these photos, sorry)

If you want more let me known as I wrote some of his death in an articale on the Battle at Amman

9Co offciers at lunch.jpg

9Co officers.jpg

Edited by stevenbecker

Thank you so much for replying and especially the photos. Here is what I already have if you want to add it to your collection....

Screenshot_20240125-223022_MyHeritage.jpg

Screenshot_20240125-222647_MyHeritage.jpg

Screenshot_20240125-204418_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240125-204435_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240125-204604_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240125-204652_Chrome.jpg

Yes its a sad fact that Tommy Smith had a short stay with the Camel Corps, so had little time to gain much on him.

The 9th Company was hit badly at the fighting at Amman losing its commander and many other officers and men

The letter from his commanding officer maybe a fellow officer who took over the Company after Capt Newsome death at Amman

Capt Leonard Brothers

Amoung his brother officer was Lt Denley or Denbigh KIA and Gowlett WIA

Wow thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed information. Fascinating reading. I find it incredibly sad that he doesn't have a proper resting place!

After his death, his brother William Tempest Smith, named his son after his fallen  brother Thomas Rowland Smith born 1922.

Yes many of those buried after the fighting at Amman were lost when the graves were rifled by Arabs and Ottomans soldiers.

Many Camel Corps graves were lost (officers and men) due to this, when the markers were destroyed

This is details of the fighting that day from something I wrote many years ago

"The morning of the 30 March did not brood well for the Allied cause as rain fell heavily over the battlefield and as preparations continued the Camel brigade had moved into position in the dark. General Smith had ordered the assault to be carried out by a mixed force from the Brigade under command of Major Day, he assembled two sections from each of the 4th, 7th, 9th and 18th companies in the first wave under Captain Newsam, while the remainder of the companies under Captain Deas formed the second wave, in all about 200 men. The first lines in both waves were Cameleers while the two companies of the 2/18 London Battalion under Captain Crossby formed the second lines in both 1st and 2nd waves they also had about 200 men, the 8th and 10th company under Captain Tredinnick were in support with 120 men and the 2nd company and the Machine Gun Squadron were held in reserve to provide fire support.  On the Brigades left flank the 2/18th London Battalion (less the two companies detached to the Camel Brigade) were to attack along the ridge towards Pt 2828 to pin down Turkish fire while the New Zealand Brigade with the 4th Anzac Battalion would attack Hill 3039.

Promptly at 2 am the limited artillery fire fell on Amman and the surrounding area, this time the advance would not start till news came that the attacks on both flanks had been successful and were now clear, as the troops waited in their exposed position the limbs of the men cramped as they waited in the cold till the word came at 3.30 am and the signal was given by Captain Newsam with a blast on his whistle.

The troops rose quickly (shaking out their cramps) into the assault and at once gained the first line of Turkish trenches on hill 400 showering the confused and surprised Turks with bombs, the fighting was short and deadly as the Turks fought hand to hand, some stayed to fight, more raised their hands while others ran taking pot shots as they disappeared into the darkness yet thankfully the fighting lasted only a few minutes before taking between 28 and 60 prisoners including two officers of the 126th Turkish Regiment and killing the remainder. Captain Arthur Newsam was killed, shot in the back by a Turkish soldier who it was said had surrendered, and a machine gun was captured by a soldier in the 7th company who having lost his rifle was armed only with two tins of bully beef, while Private Archie Searle shot down five Turks with five rapid shots.

The men having secured the first trench now pushed on to capture the second line acquiring it as the Turks broke and ran back into the city, Lieutenant Fred Matthews of the 4th company rushed after them with a collection of men and entered the city. There in the dark and rain they hid in the outer buildings however the hail of fire from the Citadel stopped any further advance and Privates Carl Pearce in the 4th and Bill Thornton from the 18th company was killed during the fighting.

On the left flank the attack by the 2/18th London along the 2828 ridge had at first succeeded yet had broken down under heavy fire and the lack of pressure from this battalion allowed a number of Turkish guns to be turned on the exposed Camel Brigade these inflicting many causalities with their enfilade fire which soon forced the abandonment of the city by Lieutenant Matthews, whose men could not be reinforced because of this fire, he ordered the men back to the positions won during the night where the remainder of the troops had consolidated in the enemies trenches and waited until dawn. While taking a message back to HQ Private Gus Jennison was shot in the head and killed

At 2 am the 4th Anzac Battalion was to advance with the New Zealand Brigade to attack Pt 3039 which required them to advance over 1500 yards of exposed ground, along the way the troops had to bypass a strong Turkish position on the route before assaulting the first Turkish trench. The men of the Battalion were all fatigued most not having rested for the last few days yet despite the bitterly cold and wet night all were ready for the attack.

The attacking force deployed along the form up point on the Quseir track with the Auckland Mounted Rifles and 4th Anzac Battalion in the front wave and the Canterbury and Wellington Mounted Rifles in the second wave.  The 4th Battalion had the 16th New Zealand Company under Captain George Yerex in front for the attack with the 17th company under Captain John Hampton in support both deployed in two lines while two sections of the 13th company was held in reserve, with the remainder of the company with the demo party watching the breaks in the Hejaz Railway.

The advance went well from the start General Meldrum had planned his attack skilfully and the wind and rain helped by blowing into the faces of the Turks.  Two troops of the Auckland Mounted Rifles secured the strong point in front of Pt 3039 allowing the remainder of the force with the 16th company to assault the foremost trenches which were captured at the rush with the bayonet taking the Turks by surprise, the garrison (who stayed) were all killed while the others ran away in the dark and 23 prisoners of the 126th Turkish Regiment and five Machine guns taken. Lieutenant George Sanderson the Battalion Intelligence officer, who had been ill and advised to remain behind, however had insisted on joining in the attack was killed during the assault. Veterinary Sergeant Matthew Kirkpatrick of the 16th company who in the last days had been busy caring for the many injured animals took part in the assault doing excellent work with the bayonet and clearing a section of trench allowing the objective to be gained by 2.40 am. Private Eric Tapfield of the 13th company had the misfortune to be accidentally killed during the advance when he progressed too far in front of the line and was mistakenly shot in the dark; he was found dead when the line reached him.

As the men consolidated the captured position shooting came from the second line of Turkish trenches 300 yards ahead and the second wave of the Canterbury and Wellington Mounted Rifles moved up and captured them with 14 prisoners and a machine gun, more machine guns and prisoners were taken as the New Zealand troops concentrated while others moved around the hill to clear it of all the Turks. The 16th  company as per orders was moved up to join the second wave and with troops of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles attacked the third trench, the Turkish fire was heavy yet mostly high and as the troops secured this last trench on top of hill 3039 the Turks fled towards Amman, the casualties thankfully during the assault were light.

The warming rays of dawn showed to General Chaytor that the only success during the night had been limited to Hill 3039, a number of trenches captured by the Camel Corps in front of Amman and 181st Infantry Brigade to the north of the city and all were in danger of destruction as the Turks quickly organized a number of counterattacks against the ground lost during the night, the first of which came in on both sides of Hill 3039.

The defence of the Hill had placed the 4th Anzac Battalion on the far right or eastern flank of the NZ Mounted Brigade with the Wellington Mounted Rifles on the Battalions left flank. All the Battalion worked on stone sangers during the night, these were built for protection as the rocky ground allowing the shallowest of holes to be dug as the troops had no entrenching tools and once daylight came it was found that the soldiers were too exposed on the top of hill so most were withdrawn to the rear trenches leaving only one section of 10 men and two Lewis guns of the 16th company to hold it.

At 5 am the first attack came in supported by shell fire which smashed the stone Sangers the men had built for protection as shell and rock fragments sprayed the area. The shelling lasted an hour at which point the exposed section of Cameleers were withdrawn. By 9 am 500 Turks were seen massing to the north and at 9.30 they attacked yet despite their bravery the attack was beaten off by New Zealand troops with the help of captured machine guns. The Hong Kong and Singapore Battery had attached a section of guns to support the New Zealand Brigade in its attack however counter battery fire had smashed one of the guns sights and ammunition now ran out and the section was forced to retire to the main position.

Despite this setback the Turks tried again and during this attack someone was heard to order a retirement this allowed the front trenches to be abandoned and the New Zealand trenches were lost as the troops fell back to their second line. This order was reported by the New Zealand Mounted to have come from the Camel Brigade however it was more probity a German or Turkish officer who spoke English which fooled the fatigued troops.

This mix up was soon sorted out by the officers and a counterattack by the New Zealanders drove the Turks out of there ill gotten gains and down the hill at the point of the bayonet and the use of the bomb, the Adjutant Captain Alex Watt and the Regimental Sergeant Major Bob MacLean were wounded in the counterattack and Lieutenants Charles Thorby and Arthur Crawford of the 16th company inspired their men in the charge who with Sergeant Harold Jones as they coolly rallied their men and led them back into the Turkish trenches. Captain Stan Howard advanced with elements of the 13th company as the Turks made a fight of it however the men would not hold back and soon the Turks was driven off and despite the casualties the men stood on top of the hill shooting down at the panicked Turkish survivors as they fled back to Amman, the 16th company lost Sergeant Colin Campbell and Privates Carl Bailey, Roland Wilkie killed during the fighting. In the 17th Company Lance Corporal Stan Campbell was manning a Lewis gun when he was shot down, his brother Norm was the No 2 on the gun and quickly took his place only to be killed soon after, the Campbell brothers had enlisted in the 6th Light Horse Regiment in 1915 from Scone NSW before transferring to the Camel Corps, they died together on the barren heights of hill 3039.

The Turkish troops used in these counter attacks were largely from the 23rd Regiment 8th Division under Major Ahmet Fuat (Bulca) Bey and the 46th Storm Company. Who had not long arrived and took time to sort out where the allied line was and the bravery of these men advancing in the open was acknowledged by the New Zealand troops who fought them. The veteran 23rd Regiment (8th Division) had been fighting in the Caucasus against the Russians for some years only with the revolution had moved down to the Syrian Front, to be detached and sent to Amman the day before.

While the New Zealand Brigade fought gallantly for there hard won gains on Hill 3039 the Camel companies under Major Day in front of Amman were subjected to attacks in force as the Turks were only 200 yards away, Major Julian Day was severely wounded in the arm and shoulder as the men sheltered from enfilade fire from artillery and machine guns under which a force of over 100 Turks attempted to recapture their trenches and reached within 30 yards before our fire cut them down and repulsed the attack with substantial loss, this assault was repeated again during the day as attacks continued without respite, the 10th company lost Sergeant Stuart Craggy (reported MIA) and Lance Corporal Wilfred Lyth killed during this attack.

Meanwhile Lieutenant Leonard Brothers of the 9th company help organize the defence after Captain Newsams death as the Turkish fire increased killing Privates Stan Stanfield and Herb Thoday and under this intense fire Private Bob Robertson carried messages from company HQ to Captain Deas however despite the courage of the men they were ordered to hold the captured trenches as the supporting artillery ran short of shells while some batteries had ran out. The Hong Kong and Singapore battery was now down to only three guns as one had been put out of action with shell splinters and with no ammunition left little could be done to support the men.

At 2 pm General Chaytor had ordered one last attack be made by the Infantry in the north yet it had little hope of success and with its failure the exhausted troops could do no more yet hold on. Lieutenant Herbert Denley was killed and Lieutenant Thomas Smith mortally wounded while attending to the defences, Private Arthur Mills of the 7th company found him self cut off with a number of wounded men as Turkish counterattacks came in, he held the line encouraging the men around him and providing first aid to the wounded. At 4 pm the troops were ordered to retire back to the original positions abandoning the captured works however because of the danger this was not attempted till dusk. Once it became dark the troops departed under Captain Deas direction back to the lines having buried the dead and carrying back the many wounded. This was accomplished without the enemies knowledge even though they were only a few hundred yards away with Lieutenant Matthews commanding the rear guard with the 4th company, as the worn out troops moved back in the darkness all the wounded were recovered however a few may have been left behind as some were reported missing later. The total Cameleers casualties in the attack were four officers and 40 men in the 2nd Battalion killed or wounded with about 20 Australian casualties.

The 2/18th London battalion reported the lost of five men killed and two officers and four men died of wounds with the wounded unknown while supporting the action on the 30 March.

Meanwhile on Hill 3039 the Battle still went on as the enemy kept throwing attack after attack at the New Zealanders.  The next came at  4 pm and fell on the Camel Battalion where the Turks of the 46th Storm company out flanked the Cameleers line on the right and managed to gained a lodgement, Lieutenant Charles Thorby a butcher from Dannevirke NZ gathered a few men about him and led a counterattack to drive the Turks out yet was killed in the valiant attempt, meanwhile Corporal John McMillan carrying a Lewis gun advanced on the Turks firing his gun from the hip however he was soon killed, then Private Dave McConnell who had joined the attack by garbing a sack full of bombs, threw them with deadly effect until shot down, as Private Len Pask went out rescuing the wounded however thanks to the support of New Zealand reserves which in turn out flanked the Turks the attack was driven off.  The casualties continued to mount in the battalion and the 17th company lost Corporal Bert Lincoln (reported MIA), Lance Corporals Bill Brown, Eric Cheney (reported MIA), Privates Cliff Jenkins (reported MIA) and Percy Collins killed, while the 13th company lost Corporal George Haag (reported MIA), Lance Corporal Les Delaney (reported MIA), Privates Bill Temple and Will Trenaman (reported MIA) killed, the 16th company lost Sergeant Charles Lovett, Privates Gilbert Alexander, Tom Bowman, John Craig, Rupert McKenzie, Sid Mills and Doug Walker killed.

During the day communication between Battalion HQ and the forward companies was constantly broken by shell fire which fell regularly over the exposed hill, Sergeant Albert Hooper was kept out continually repairing broken telephone lines at great risk to himself. Communications were accentual to the defence which enabled reinforcements to be switched from one threaten point to the next and under the able command of Lieutenant Reg Jephcott never failed. At 5 p.m. another attack came on with the support of three Turks batteries yet again it was stopped with assistance of the recently arrived Somerset battery using the last of its available ammunition.

As the long day wore on General Shea on hearing of the progress of the Battle asked General Chaytor his chances of success if he could take the city which he replied little to none and only if reinforced with more guns and troops these were now not available to Shea and he knew the battle was lost.  The word was sent out at 5.45pm that the contest was over and all troops were ordered to be prepared to retire back across the Jordan.

In the late afternoon a supply column had arrived bring a little food and ammunition and a soldier was dispatched up the hill with a camel carrying a bag of rations and two fantasies of hot tea, he also carried the battalions withdrawal order which was gladly received as well as the tea.

That night the Army began to move back as the New Zealanders and 4th Anzac Battalion received their orders around 6 p.m, they began moving down from Hill 3039 at midnight with the many wounded carried in blankets as the rear guard covered the withdrawal however the Turks did not bother them.

The Camel Brigade began its return movement at 4.30 am Lieutenant Bob Love commanded the rear guard and once the troops began to move he was informed that a man was missing, he retraced his steeps in the dark to search for the missing man who in the meanwhile had returned and found instead a four man post over looked in the darkness.

The Brigade reached Ain es Sir by 7.15 am on the 31 March and although the Turks pressed the rear guard causally, the Camel Brigade was ordered to get clear acting as escort to the supply train and the wounded who were suffering terribly. The column moved slowly as there were not enough cachalots for all the wounded and some had to be strapped to the backs of horses until they could be placed in ambulances. At 10 am the troops continued threw rain and mud some men of the 1st Battalion picked up refugees struggling along the track helping the many local women and children, many Armenian Christians fleeing Turkish oppression, while Lieutenant Colonel Mills told how he carried a four year old girl sleeping in his arms. The Brigade finally crossing the Jordan on the 2 April after eleven days from the commencement of the raid, the camels had not had the saddles off their backs for eight of those days and when they did their flesh came away with them.

The Raid on Amman was tactically a defeat in which the main objectives of the raid were not all achieved although it was claimed as a victory by General Allenby. There were many reasons for the failure of the Amman Raid these included the delayed crossing of the Jordan River, the foul weather and the unexpected strong defence of Amman all had contributed to the result, the men as always fought well yet had suffered from the conditions with the march up to Amman and the battle, all the animals and men had suffered much and were worn out by fatigue and heavy losses. One of the success of the raid was that the enemies reserves had been drawn to Amman, enough troops had been moved north from the Tafila Force to help the Emir Feisal in his campaign against the Maan garrison and attention was drawn east away from Allenbys future planned offensive.

However the Turkish resistance at Amman had restored their confidence in its troops which had been low following their defeats in November and December 1917 and allowed the Turks to plan a major offensive aimed at the reorganizing British Army in April.

The Casualties for the Camel Brigade were reported in the War Diary as five officers and 56 men killed and 17 officers and 232 men wounded while 11 men were reported missing total 321.

The casualties by Battalion were the Australians of the 1st Battalion with two other ranks killed and one officer (Lieutenant Colonel Langley) and nine men wounded.

The 2nd (British) Battalion reported losses as three officers (Captain Newsam, Lieutenant s. Denley and Smith) and 24 other ranks killed and seven officers, 112 men wounded of which nine other ranks died from wounds and one man was reported wounded and missing.

The Anzacs of the 4th Battalion had two officers (Lieutenant’s Thorby (NZ) and Sanderson) and 29 other ranks killed with five officers and 117 other ranks wounded of which one officer (Lieutenant Adolph (NZ) and five other ranks died of wounds while 10 men were reported missing. Of this total the New Zealanders of the 16th company had lost one officer and 12 other ranks killed with one officer, two other ranks died of wounds while the wounded were not recorded whereas the Australians lost one officer and 17 men killed with five officers and 99 men wounded which six men died of wounds.

The Hong Kong and Singapore Battery had one other rank killed and one officer and five men wounded, the Brigade Machine Gun Squadron had one man killed and two wounded.

No soldier in the Camel Brigade was known to be captured during the four day Battle in front of Amman and the missing were all believed to have been killed or wounded and or later accounted for. The large number of missing came from the loss of their grave sites after this battle, which had been lost or destroyed by time, or human hand, when they couldnt be found post war.

I don't know if of any interest but these officers were with him at the time

Also on  checking I did a photo of Lt TH Smith hope it helps its the last one

Capr Newsom 7Co.jpg

Capt Newsome 9Co.jpeg

Lt Brothers.jpg

Lt Denbigh KIA.jpg

Lt Smith 9Co.jpg

Edited by stevenbecker

Great to see all those information and pictures about the Camel Corps. I am very intrested in the history of this corps. 

Does somebody has tips for books about Camel Corps? I have one from Frank Reid.

Mate,

Aussie books include 

Sand sweat and Camels by Langley (not bad but he died during writing so his wife finished it

A number of books by Oliver Hogue but written during the war and he died in 1919

Alex Vennard better known as Frank Reid is by far the best book on this.

There are a number of minor works by soldiers, but are harder to find

NZ side of the house

With the Camels in Palestine by John Robertson

British side

We have the two books by Inchbald called "With the Imperial Camel Corps in the Great War" and "Camels and Others"

And " A Fighting Colonel of the Camel Corps" by De Lancey-Forth

A few minor works by authors like Benbow, and Ward, on the their service

Wow that's such a great photo of 2nd Lt TR Smith!! Thank you. Just shown it to some family and can see the family resemblance to my dad and brother!!

Hi Steve,

Wow, thanks very much for your instant reply. Shame there’s no record of Richard, my mother’s only comment about him was that he’d ridden a camel during the war., I put 2 and 2 together and got 5 maybe. Cheers.

Mate,

I got the same thing from my family, that he rode a camel with TEL, but what he said like TEL, the movie had just come out in the 60's so the family mixed it up.

That started me on this quest to find out what was going on.

I use to get photos of their relatives mounted on camels (but these in most cases were the tourist ones near the pyramids) when I could not find them in the ICC.