Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Camel Corps

stevenbecker

This is a photo of my grandfather John C Funnell from the Imperial Camel Corps in Egypt on his camel. I'm sorry for the poor quality, it is on a postcard. 

John C Funnell ICC WW1.jpg

Andrew,

Thanks again mate that does help.

Nottidge must have moved to the ICC either late 1917 or early 1918 as the first recorded mention is him turning up is in the fighting at Musselabeh with the 10th Company April 1918He appears to have stayed with that company for a while shown with Buxton's Force to TEL 7-18 att ICC depot 9-18

I did wonder when he served on Staff as Capt but that could be the Mil Prison duty?

As to Blyde thanks I have the photos of his service in the ranks at Gallipoli and with Maj Gooch.

That did posse a question as to who the second officer shown as seconded in Oct 1916 with the ICC with Inchbald, if not Blyde ?

Unless it was Blyde and he returned to the Berks by Feb 1917?

Of cause the 2Bn ICC was used in the Nekhl operation

15-2-17  operation to Nekhl from Serapeum by LtCol Grant's 11 LHR (420 men) + part 124 FAmb (26 men) + Wireless pack Sect with Capt Stirling Gen Staff & Lt Stuart Intell officer along with 9Co (60 men) from Shallufa return 22-2-17

16-2-17  Hassana operation by Maj Bassett's 2Bn ICC (5Co 6Co 7Co) + sect 14Co + sect HK&SMB + Scottish FAmb & half Troop of 2/1 Cheshire Field Troop RE att Maj Greenwood & Lt Herbert (DMC Intell) to Hassana *captured 3 officers & 20 men rtn  21-2-17

17-2-17   shown MG Sect (148 camels) Royal Engineers Sect (14 camels) +  Royal Engineers (TF) Sig Section (10 camels) MVS (52 camels) also shown  + Ammo Coln (59 camels and 23 Egyptian drivers) mustered at Abbassia

19-2-17   reported first man to be evac by air when the wounded Pte W MacGregor was flown out by BE 2c (4442) 14 Sqn RFC Capt Dempsey/Lt Cullen after being shot WIA 18-2-17 during operation at Hassana by Maj Bassett 2Bn

Cheers

S.B

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I'm trying to find out if my Great Grandfather served in the camel corps and I'm not really sure how to go about it as finding records for him is proving difficult. His name was Pvte Matthew Murphy 240404, from Rochdale and from what I can find, was part of the 1/6th Battalion Territorial Force, joining at Rochdale in summer 1914 as part of the Lancashire Fusiliers Brigade of the East Lancashire Division. My Grandma had always said that he was part of the camel corps and indeed we have photographs of him serving in Cairo (and with a camel), however it does appear that the 1/6th Battalion were engaged in combat near Suez and I'm not sure if the Camel Corps 'memory' was more an assumption! Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

Frances

Mate,

Sorry I have no record of Mat being in the Camel Corps as yet

While the Lancashire Fus was not a unit they (ICC) drew from, but I do show only a hand full men from that Regt.

It was common for most soldiers to have a photo taken in Egypt on a camel when at Giza, as they still do today.

While 1/6Bn was in Egypt with the 42nd Div for a while until disbanding.

The main Infantry units they drew from were the 53rd (Welsh) Div and 54th (East Anglian) Div 

So I am unsure if he did serve in the ICC, while he may have been in the CTC, as it took many men from many units in Egypt

Sorry

S.B

3 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Mate,

Sorry I have no record of Mat being in the Camel Corps as yet

While the Lancashire Fus was not a unit they (ICC) drew from, but I do show only a hand full men from that Regt.

It was common for most soldiers to have a photo taken in Egypt on a camel when at Giza, as they still do today.

While 1/6Bn was in Egypt with the 42nd Div for a while until disbanding.

The main Infantry units they drew from were the 53rd (Welsh) Div and 54th (East Anglian) Div 

So I am unsure if he did serve in the ICC, while he may have been in the CTC, as it took many men from many units in Egypt

Sorry

S.B

Thank you so much, I'll keep looking!