stevebecker

2nd Battalion Camel Corps

stevebecker

Mate,

Glad to help, I'll EMail you.

S.B

Mark Barratt

Steve, 

I hope this finds you well, I've just come across this thread, and your full account of the Battle of Amman, & created an account in order to express my thanks to you for your time and research. Thomas Rowland Smith would have been my Great Grand Uncle, i've just restarted researching him again after a break of a few years, it is fantastic to find such information. A little bit of family hearsay is that he was hit by a sniper bullet.

Many Thanks

Mark

stevebecker

Mark,

Camel Corps records are quiet on how both Denley and Smith were hit, other then shot during the defence against Ottoman Counter attacks to push them away from Amman.

Smith was mentioned being mortally wounded holding the line during these hours.

I would not discount the idea of being shot by a sniper, as most officers were moving amoung the men encouraging them to hold the line.

The wounded could not be moved to the rear and many died in the trenches.from there wounds.

Cheers

S.B

Paul Grainger

My Grandfather was 2nd Lt Edwin Grainger from the Royal Sussex attached to the ICC, i am looking for information on his time with the ICC.

stevebecker

Mate,

I record your relation as;

Grainger    Edwin James        2/Lt    Tos 8Co 5-18 shown ICC WIA 12/13-5-18 accident reported thrown with 1 man from camel during night march to Talat el Dum 5-18 to Hosp 10-18 to 5Co 3-19 Ex Cpl 1/1 Sussex Yeo (1267) and 16Bn Sussex Regt (320016)

His late arrival at the ICC was due to his service with the 16th Sussex Yeo Bn of the Yeomanry Div

A number of newly minted young officers were seconded to the ICC or CTC during the war, Edwin looks like he was one of these.

The former commander of the 8th Company wrote two books on his time with the ICC, his name was Inchbald;

Inchbald    Geoffrey Herbert Elloit        Lt    Tos 8Co 5-16 (commanded Berks Sect) to OC 8Co (from Tredinnick) 4-18 to 6-18 WIA 1-5-18 L/arm shot at Es Salt Ex 1/1 Berkshire Yeo author "Imperial Camel Corps" and not sure of second books name?

This is what I record during May 1918

May 1918

5-18     2/Lt Sawyer arrived 8Co & Capt Bell-Irving replaced Capt Deas 7Co after return from UK leave

1-5-18  HK&SMB att 3 LH Bde in fighting at Es Salt

1-5-18   High Commisioner Gen Sir Reg Wingate awarded a black Ostrich feather Hackel to wear in hats to the 6Co at Sollum

2/3-5-18 Battle of Es Salt

ICC Bde 1Bn (1Co 2Co 3Co 4Co) 2Bn (7Co 8Co 9Co 10Co) 4Bn (13Co 16Co 17Co 18Co) 26 MG Sqn and ACFA

attack by the 8Co and 18Co to support fighting across the Jordan

3-5-18    2/Lt Grainger arrived 8Co & 2/Lt Harris arrived 5Co

6-5-18    2/Lt Smiles arrived 18Co & Lt Huth replaced Lt Inchbald OC 8Co WIA

11-5-18   2Bn ICC moved to Talat el Dum arrived 13-5-18

11-5-18   18Co (4 officers 117 men 1 natives 178 camels)

12/13-5-18  reported 1 officer and 1 man injured from 8Co when thrown during night march to Talat el Dum

13-5-18   ICC Bde moved to Khirbet Deiran arrived 16-5-18

16-5-18   ICC Bde arrived Ramlah

20-5-18   2/Lt RW Brown arrive 18Co

28-5-18   patrol from 5Co (3 officers 97 men 114 camels) from Beersheba to Dead Sea

29-5-18   Lt Knight T/att OC 11Co from 12Co

This is some details during his time with the 8th Company;

June 1918

During month 2Bn ICC returned to Ismailia took over 3Bn ICC positions along the Canal

24-7-18  2Bn ICC (7Co 10Co) under Maj Buxton moved from Kubri to join (TEL) Lawrence's Arab forces while 8Co & 9Co remained on the Canal between Gamiel to Ferry post

3-10-18   8Co (5 officers 171 men 220 camels) Capt Beech replaced Lt Huth 8Co moved from Canal via Surafend to Tul Keram arrived 14-10-18

28-10-18  LtCol Buxton to inspect 5Co & 8Co at Tul Keram

1-11-18  shown 2Bn ICC 5Co & 8Co at Tul Keram 6Co at Sollum 7Co at Port Said & Ferry Post

7-12-18   5Co & 8Co moved to Rafa arrived 11-12-18

23-12-18  5Co & 8Co had sports meeting at Rafa

1-1-19   shown 2Bn ICC 5Co & 8Co at Beersheba 6Co rtn to Abbassia for disbandment 7Co at Ferry Post

From what I can see he arrived after the 8th Companies attack during the 2nd Es Salt battle in which the 8th Company was cut up badly.

He replaced an officer wounded in that fight.

It appears after that battle the Camel Brigade was reduced and the 8th Company spent most of its time on the Cannal.

To know what he did before May 1918 you need to check the Sussex Yeomanry for what he was up to.

Sorry

If you need more let me know.

Cheers

S.B

stevebecker

Paul,

I may add that the reason for his accident is not shown, but its well known that new troops to the Camel Corps had the same problem.

Frank Reid , an Aussie writer mentioned there first company operation where many riders fell from there animals.

It seams when a camel drinks it fills one of there stomachs and as that stomach shrinks after a few days, the girth strap needs to be ajusted, new men seam to miss doing this at every stop.

There is the case of two British Camel soldiers who got lost one night march to the battle of Mazar. When the company had time to go back and look for them, both had die of thirst .

Cheers

S.B

Paul Grainger
22 hours ago, stevebecker said:

Paul,

I may add that the reason for his accident is not shown, but its well known that new troops to the Camel Corps had the same problem.

Frank Reid , an Aussie writer mentioned there first company operation where many riders fell from there animals.

It seams when a camel drinks it fills one of there stomachs and as that stomach shrinks after a few days, the girth strap needs to be ajusted, new men seam to miss doing this at every stop.

There is the case of two British Camel soldiers who got lost one night march to the battle of Mazar. When the company had time to go back and look for them, both had die of thirst .

Cheers

S.B

Thank you so much, really appreciate what you've shared.