Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier's Wills New Online service

Terry Carter

Worked for me but have to wait until 9 Sep.

I would have thought that a system would have been put in place to serve up the digitised documents straight away but clearly not.

Craig

I've also just made a successful purchase of my great uncles Will.

It's a very easy site to use but I wonder whether anyone else has found any errors. I only looked up about 6 Wills but in one the service number was incorrect and with another the middle name was wrong according to information from CWGC and the MIC.

June

Did a search last night on a few men that I am researching and got at least 6 success's, now because of the wait for the documents as previously mentioned( up to 10 days) I am going to have to wait to purchase due to an up and coming holiday.

The 6 are out of the first batch of over 205 names that I am/have researched so I think at £6 a pop I might have to be very selective.

Dave

I've also just made a successful purchase of my great uncles Will.

It's a very easy site to use but I wonder whether anyone else has found any errors. I only looked up about 6 Wills but in one the service number was incorrect and with another the middle name was wrong according to information from CWGC and the MIC.

June

My great grandfathers will has had one number in his Regt no transcribed incorrectly, and finally managed to purchase it

Mick

My great grandfathers will has had one number in his Regt no transcribed incorrectly, and finally managed to purchase it

Mick

I sais yesterday that I now have 3 service numbers for a relative. 1 on CWGC, on on MIC and now another!! I know it is the right man but you would think they would check out elsewhere if there is a problem reading the numbers.

Don't think it's been mentioned that there's an article in today's Telegraph (30th August)...Click it also mentions, as previously raised, that officers' wills aren't included, but I don't recall seeing this mentioned before, one of the main reasons for these wills - apparently, War Office bureaucracy!:

The War Office insisted on wills. Among other reasons, there was concern that soldiers might leave unpaid mess bills after their deaths. The King’s men were therefore ordered to ensure their financial affairs were in order before going over the top.

The media coverage has mentioned that the letters weren't sent home; is there any evidence to suggest that the families ever got to see copies of the wills? Although said to be a legal document, the values of the estates for probably the majority of men that made them are likely to have been far below the level required to go through the probate process, and I can see the War Office just sitting on them, which might explain how they managed to survive. Men - be they officers or ORs - who had estates that were of significant value are likely to have lodged 'proper' wills with their Lawyers/families/NOK prior to going off to fight, and these would obviously have then gone through the full probate legal process once the writer's death was confirmed. I would imagine that there may well be 'soldiers' wills for men who had 'proper' wills as well which did go through probate (IIRC copies of these can obtained through other channels, but these will not, I suspect, be included or available through the 'Soldiers' Wills' website

NigelS

Steve, I think people are getting confused between 'body not recovered after battle' as opposed to 'body not recovered after war'? A man could have received a proper burial after having his personal effects removed, only for his grave to be lost after the war. This would account for the two different cases. Both men are now technically 'lost' but one of them was found and buried around the time of death, hence the will being available.

Regards,

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense in my family circumstances. One brother recorded as KIA Bazentin le Grand 14th July with 1st NF. Letter in local paper from his sister included full letter from Padre saying my great uncle actually died of wounds shortly after being wounded rather than instantaneously. Padre reported he had buried him. His will is available.

His elder brother KIA with 1st Tyneside Scottish (20th NF) at La Boisselle (actually recorded by name in War Diary) and I don't think his body was recovered. His will is not on the database.

Regards

Steve Y

My document was ordered at about 1300h on Thursday (29th) and I had notification on Friday evening (30th) that I could access it.

No problems at all.

Gwyn

Does anyone know if these wills are subject to copyright? I can find no mention of it.

Andy

Does anyone know if these wills are subject to copyright? I can find no mention of it.Andy

I read somewhere that anyone can purchase them but you need the families permission to publish them

My friend found two of her relatives Wills yesterday and after persisting managed to pay for them.

She emailed this morning to say she has now received them both.

She's delighted to have something tangible, to see their handwriting and NoK which she's going to check if anything new comes out!

So, at least one delighted user.

So, it obviously allows a check that you have the right name, date and regiment etc BEFORE ordering.

Presumably the bulk of the reported problems seem to be related to excessively high initial demand.

For those who couldn't find relatives I'd recommend another try, perhaps later in the evening when all good people have gone to bed and ensure all possible search terms are entered.

Good luck!

I have just read the D Tel. of yesterday on the subject of soldiers' Wills.

A load of tosh.

Says that soldiers were made to write Wills because the army was worried that otherwise unpaid Mess bills might remain unpaid! Mess?!!!!

I have had a look for the rules, and they are thin indeed.

No mention Wills in either KR 1914 or the Pay Warrant indices.

Soldiers Small book AF B 50. 1903 edition has a section for a Will, and advice on completion, says when engaged in actual warfare a Will may be made without witnesses, or indeed to declare orally in the presence of witnesses. Soldier must be 21 years unless on service. The Will form included is AF B 243

Mobilisation Regs 1914 section 186 requires a Pay Book AB 64 and ID disc to be issued .......... section 192 the Wills other than those made in AB64 to be forwarded to officer i/c records.

Dr Dunn's TWTIK mentions Pay Books, ID discs and Family Allotments but does not mention Will making.

SO A FEW QUESTIONS PLEASE

DOES ANYONE HAVE A FORM AB 64 SHOWING WILL SECTION?

can someone please post a Will obtained from these new releases to show form number, headings etc?

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A REGULATION WHEREBY MAKING A WILL WAS MANDATORY?

Thanks, Geordie, but as far as I can see there is nothing on the Probate web site, or on the downloaded forms, regarding copyright.

Andy

Thanks, Geordie, but as far as I can see there is nothing on the Probate web site, or on the downloaded forms, regarding copyright.

It's stated at the bottom of the order basket.

"Wills are provided for personal use only: you must get the relatives’ permission if you want to publish them in any way."

Craig

Thanks, Craig, I hadn't spotted that.

Andy

I read somewhere that anyone can purchase them but you need the families permission to publish them

But how do you define family? Direct descendents? Related by blood? Related by marriage? The two I've downloaded are both great uncles so I reckon I can give myself permission to publish should so wish.

Peter

Thanks, Craig, I hadn't spotted that.

It's certainly not clear, they've not gone out of their way to make it obvious.

Craig

It's stated at the bottom of the order basket.

Craig

This copyright thing is a minefield. They have them copyright free from those who wrote them. They sell them to ANYBODY yet then insist on others getting permission before publishing?

How does the copyright pass to known or unknown relatives?

This copyright thing is a minefield. They have them copyright free from those who wrote them. They sell them to ANYBODY yet then insist on others getting permission before publishing?

There was a similar query a while ago about WW1 service records and copyright. The general consensus was that as they were official forms the War Office and its successors retained the rights over the paperwork.

Craig

There was a similar query a while ago about WW1 service records and copyright. The general consensus was that as they were official forms the War Office and its successors retained the rights over the paperwork.

Craig

Appears not to be the case with these docs as THEY are not claiming copyright. How long before something becomes out of copyright?

Loads of books, reports Gov Docs available on line copyright free.

How long before something becomes out of copyright?

Apparently it depends on the media type and the date it was published.

Craig

I'll leave it there Craig and try and make sure I quote sources in replies that include pictures or chunks of copied text. Maybe we should all watermark our posts!!

I believe that technically, there is copyright in the scan and transcription of an out of copyright document. Hence Ancestry have copyright on their images of the (public domain) medal cards.

I do remember asking a similar question of Iron Mountain when we were discussing this project and being told that for all wills, being published as a result of probate means it becomes a public document. Hence anyone has a right to access it, the fee being charged to recover the costs. But they hadn't decided how the copyright would be treated at that point.

Regards

Ian