Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier's Wills New Online service

Terry Carter

I too still cannot get past the check out stage. I'm on Chrome, Windows 7

Roger

Im going to wait and see what sort of things are found before shelling out - shame cant search by regiment

I too still cannot get past the check out stage. I'm on Chrome, Windows 7

Roger

Roger

When you registered you should have received an e-mail message. On the message I received, yesterday, it said that the link would be activated in two days.

Kevin

Mine said, "The link will be valid within the next 2 days" which I took to mean it would be valid for the next two days and the expire. My link was live and I activated my account immediately. I paid straight away with no problems and promptly received an email saying that the document would be available in ten days' time.

I don't understand why I sailed through the process seamlessly and no-one else can!

Gwyn

My link said the same as Gwyn's. No problem signing in, searching and finding the man I want. I just can't pay for the blooming thing!

Roger

Since he is listed on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial, I find it curious that the will of my grandad's cousin is included; I wonder how his will was recovered? I may consider purchasing the few wills to my family members that are present (3 in all), but at this price I don't think I'll be going any further than that!

Great uncle of mine is on the Pozieres memorial but I have his inscribed bible. Perhaps some personal affects were left behind before a stint in the trenches?

Roger

Edit See my signature. The bible belonged to James Vokes for whom I can't find a will. Richard Hildreth has a will, if only I could get to it! :)

Mine said, "The link will be valid within the next 2 days" which I took to mean it would be valid for the next two days and the expire. My link was live and I activated my account immediately. I paid straight away with no problems and promptly received an email saying that the document would be available in ten days' time.

I don't understand why I sailed through the process seamlessly and no-one else can!

Gwyn

Gwyn

Sorry. Yes, the message said "valid".

Kevin

No problem signing in, searching and finding the man I want. I just can't pay for the blooming thing!

Roger

Same here. I am registered, I can 'Log-In', but every time I proceed to check out the purchase page show's for a second and then changes to 'unkown order'. :devilgrin:

quote from 'The Guardian' - English and Welsh soldiers' wills – those of officers and Scottish and Irish soldiers are archived separately

True dat. I used some of my credit with Scotland's People and got the information on an extended family relative however there seemed nothing lodged for a closer relative that was killed. I don't think lodging wills was compulsory.

I have found 2 I am interested in and will try payment after I have cleared it with the Boss !!!!

Soldiers who's bodies were never recovered will [of course] sadly be missing from this data base, which will explain why certain soldier's wills can not be found.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious.

Paul

I'm not quite sure the wills would be absent for all of these men because they could have surely lodged wills at any time.

Since he is listed on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial, I find it curious that the will of my grandad's cousin is included; I wonder how his will was recovered? I may consider purchasing the few wills to my family members that are present (3 in all), but at this price I don't think I'll be going any further than that!

Of the 3 men in my signature, 2 are listed on the Menin Gate and 1 is listed on the Doiran Memorial but I got a Will for Duncan McDonald, remember many of those killed would initially have been buried, sometimes hurriedly, then the graves later lost/destroyed, in those cases their pay books would have been collected.

The 2 I didn't get a Will for, had their positions completely over run and their burials would have been carried out by the Germans and the Bulgarians, that's why I believe I can't get a Will for either.

Sam

I'm not quite sure the wills would be absent for all of these men because they could have surely lodged wills at any time.

The Will form was at the back of the Pay Book, it was only removed after the person was killed, if they could recover the paybook.

Was the relative you're looking for Scottish?

Sam

Which browser do you use?

Opera.

The Will form was at the back of the Pay Book, it was only removed after the person was killed, if they could recover the paybook.

Was the relative you're looking for Scottish?

Sam

Yes, all my ancestors are Scottish. There were many that fought but of the two men that were killed, (one a Major and one a Private) I only located information on one of them (the Major). They both have known graves and have not been moved since their initial burial. This made me think that the wills were not compulsory.

On the subject of the unknown men, the books in a few cases could have been recovered without the body of the man being identified. As stated earlier, if buried and the grave destroyed. Also for the missing on memorials the same would stand.

It would appear to be a browser issue. Failed repeatedly to get through the payment screen using my Mac with Safari or Chrome. Instead used a Windows laptop with Firefox and I managed to successfully order a will. Unfortunately, will not be available until 9th Sep.

I have found 2 I am interested in and will try payment after I have cleared it with the Boss !!!!

Soldiers who's bodies were never recovered will [of course] sadly be missing from this data base, which will explain why certain soldier's wills can not be found.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I've no great insight on this subject but can you elaborate/explain what is the basis for your comments above?

I had 2 great uncles KIA on the Somme July 1916. Neither body recovered and both commemorated on the Thiepval memorial.

I checked the will site earlier and found a will for one out of the 2.

Steve Y

I finally managed to make payment for my great uncle's will on the 5th attempt 2 yesterday 3 today

I am on windows 8 on chrome it's quite possible the server cannot cope with the number of inquiries

I suggest those who wish to purchase a will to just keep trying at intervals

regards Ray

Hi Paul,

I've no great insight on this subject but can you elaborate/explain what is the basis for your comments above?

I had 2 great uncles KIA on the Somme July 1916. Neither body recovered and both commemorated on the Thiepval memorial.

I checked the will site earlier and found a will for one out of the 2.

Steve Y

Steve, I think people are getting confused between 'body not recovered after battle' as opposed to 'body not recovered after war'? A man could have received a proper burial after having his personal effects removed, only for his grave to be lost after the war. This would account for the two different cases. Both men are now technically 'lost' but one of them was found and buried around the time of death, hence the will being available.

Regards,

Sean.

I think I might get back in touch with my contact on this one, to point out how much beta testing we are all doing for them!

I had a play and it did some weird things for me too, eg returning 1946 when I asked for 1945, showing me nothing for 1917 but something for 1918, losing my search terms etc.

Kind regards

Ian

Thanks Ian for prompting me to check the WW2 names, just found my wife's uncle on there. Thats £12 when I finally get through :thumbsup:

many of those killed would initially have been buried, sometimes hurriedly, then the graves later lost/destroyed, in those cases their pay books would have been collected.

Thanks Sam,

Yes, quite possible indeed. My grandad's cousin, Frederick Walter Schofield, is the only casualty of the 1/1st Herts killed on 24th October 1918 who is listed on a memorial to the missing; his comrades who fell that day during the Battle of the Selle all have known graves - it could well be that Fred's grave was subsequently lost.

Cheers

Steve

Success at last! :thumbsup:

Roger