Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone else getting or got a tattoo for the commemoration of WW1 or fo

temptage

I like it, nice quality as well. On my left leg and right arm I have six memorial tattoo's. these include a Cross of Sacrifice, a Digger Memorial, some script (which include my signature below), names of four mates lost in Afghanistan and a large Poppie. I still have room for more.

If they have some meaning to the recipient, like mine do, I have no issue with tattoo's. I was told once that the only people who complain about tattoo's are those who don't have them.

Cheers Andy.

But given the lack of editing facilities on tattoos not a lot of value to him to know this - in fact I'm sure he would have been happier not knowing - hence my point that this thread is rather futile. If he had posted before having the tattoo done then advise might have been helpful.

It was my intention all along to have the word 'shall' instead of 'will'. I have tinkered with the design and the wording and font over the last few years, and from the 20+ versions I have on my PC I chose that one because it is different from the norm, and it makes it a total one-off.

So all those who have pointed out the wording is incorrect, yes it may be different from the official quote, but it is the wording I chose.

So back to the original post, has anyone else got any plans for a tattoo to commemorate WW1 or those who fought in it?

Due to a change of Work dress codes at the beginning of the month, tattoos can no longer be displayed, forcing a number of my colleagues to wear long sleeved shirts. Accordingly, I will not be getting one, but due to being signed off work with a long term illness, I am certain that "work" would like to tattoo a large "D" on me!

Sepoy

It was my intention all along to have the word 'shall' instead of 'will'

I am wondering why

because it is different from the norm, and it makes it a total one-off.

Neil

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them".

From Bunyans original poem, we WILL remember them!

It was my intention all along to have the word 'shall' instead of 'will'.

I'm genuinely curious to know what led you to that decision. The original wording is so iconic - in use daily at the Menin Gate and, for that matter, every month at my local WFA meeting and generally recognised by the wider community. .

Was it simply a desire to be different or was there some other reason?

We will remember them".

I have always thought knicked in part from Shakespeare's description of Cleopatra 'age shall not wither her or stale her infinite variety' but as to where the lines in Op signature come from, which was a far earlier question I have no idea

Temptage, back to your original enquiry... yes I have a tattoo of a Poppy over a Staffordshire Knot on my left leg, no pictures I'm afraid don't want to scare anyone

Artistic tinkering and personalisation are what tattoos are all about. The use of shall is gramatically correct, there is no Binyon byline, so all's well.

Whatever the words, it's a fine piece of work, with plenty of sentiment behind it

Terry

No offence intended to anyone who wants to spend £100 on a tattoo to commemorate the centenary, but if I had a spare £100 to mark the event, I'd give it to an organisation that really does do something practical, every day, to keep the spirit of Remembrance alive. That's the Last Post Association.

Tom

We will remember them".

Caulkheader....most people 'WILL' remember them.......but through personal choice I 'SHALL' remember them.

That's one reason why I didn't have the whole poem included......to be different.

Neil

Neil, at least you understand. Thanks

I'm genuinely curious to know what led you to that decision. The original wording is so iconic - in use daily at the Menin Gate and, for that matter, every month at my local WFA meeting and generally recognised by the wider community. .

Was it simply a desire to be different or was there some other reason?

John, yes it was chosen so as to be different, but also the word 'SHALL' is an important word in my signature too......which may become my next tattoo.

I have always thought knicked in part from Shakespeare's description of Cleopatra 'age shall not wither her or stale her infinite variety' but as to where the lines in Op signature come from, which was a far earlier question I have no idea

Seany, my signature is all my own words, thought up one night as the sun was setting in my local Cemetery. Something has happened since that moment.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193965&hl=

Artistic tinkering and personalisation are what tattoos are all about. The use of shall is gramatically correct, there is no Binyon byline, so all's well.

Thanks Martin,

I'm not likely to be locked up for the crime of doing what I wanted, am I?

No offence intended to anyone who wants to spend £100 on a tattoo to commemorate the centenary, but if I had a spare £100 to mark the event, I'd give it to an organisation that really does do something practical, every day, to keep the spirit of Remembrance alive. That's the Last Post Association.

Tom

Tom,

Although I understand your idea of giving to specific charities, I do give to many charities anyway, all just as worthy, many small charities have next to nothing so am always willing to help, but when it comes to spending £100 on myself for once in a while, I cant see what the problem is.

I was brought up with tales of both wars, and now I am 5 years down the line in my research both for my own family members but also 4 projects, all military, which have taken up a lot of my time, so having a personal tattoo will always remind me of the reason I am doing all of this.

While it is everyone choise to have anything done to their bodies. I personally find tatoos distaseful and do not like them at all, even the one in the picture which poportes to show respect to the men who died I have ceertain feeling of revoltion.

Richard

Edited by RJPreston

Caulkheader....most people 'WILL' remember them.......but through personal choice I 'SHALL' remember them.

That's one reason why I didn't have the whole poem included......to be different.

Well said sir

While it is everyone choise to have anything done to their bodies. I personally find tatoos distaseful and do not like them at all, even the one in the picture which poportes to show respect to the men who died I have ceertain feeling of revoltion.

Richard

Is that French revolition? :) sorry couldn't resist

Seany,I will acept the comment in the spirit it was sent, I to can now see the error.The trouble is as an imperfect speller I often cannot see the mistakes. As somebody who has always had a problem in this direction then the way people comment can often be offensive, unless you have suffer the problem it is often dificult to describe .. One lives with it.

All the best Seany

Richard

One lives with it.

Agreed, Richard. I am usually very careful about proof-reading posts but I often come back to a post and realised that I'd mis-typed and missed the error.

John

Seany, my signature is all my own words, thought up one night as the sun was setting in my local Cemetery. Something has happened since that moment.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193965&hl=

I really like it, the signature that is not the tattoo which is ok but you know what I mean, well done.

Can Use it on my website on the page to remember those from 293 siege battery who lost their lives? I'll credit you of course.