Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone else getting or got a tattoo for the commemoration of WW1 or fo

temptage

OMG that is fantastic.

No need to apologise about resurrecting this thread.....with a tat like that, it is worth it.

I am very fortunate that no members of my direct family died in either war, only 1 injury from about 10 men involved. So I can never have any personal remembrance on my skin.

Mind you, I am planning 2 verses of script somewhere on my person pretty soon.

Thank you very much . my very first tattoo all done in one sitting.

Always said I would only have a tattoo if it meant something and after visiting their graves /memorials earlier this year it was decided this would be it as it was such a moving experience.

My son was the first in my family to attend university and as far as I know he is the only one to have tattoos. In my mind the first underlined his abilities. the second his foolishness - he was sober when both tats. were administered.

There is however a possible and unproven possibility that a sailor relative, rated stoker, on who died on HMS Queen Mary at Jutland, might well have one. Like many sailordid/do.

The first one I ever saw was on the fingers of a kid at school - LOVE and HATE - who was later sent down. I always figured he got an early start on a criminal career at about 14 years of age.

I noticed in the news yesterday that the Army have just relaxed the rules on tattoos. I think the problem with some people is that there is still a stigma attached to tattoos. I'm not sure historically when tattoos became associated with criminals and stigmatised because at one time, tattoos were something the upper classes had done or perhaps it was just a case of double standards.

I noticed in the news yesterday that the Army have just relaxed the rules on tattoos. I think the problem with some people is that there is still a stigma attached to tattoos. I'm not sure historically when tattoos became associated with criminals and stigmatised because at one time, tattoos were something the upper classes had done or perhaps it was just a case of double standards.

Tattooing began with sailors returning from Polynesia. There is a dichotomy between a "Millwall rules ok" tattoo and a quotation from the Diamond sutra. In Russian jails tattoos have meanings and if a convict claims something which is proven false the tattoo is either cut off or doused in acid.

Thank you for the history, of which some, I was already aware but the Russians...there was, in more recent decades, meanings attached to tattoos in prisons here of which my knowledge is a little vague. Notable tattoos at the other end of the scale; Churchill, his mother (if I'm not mistaken) and the Duke of Windsor which seem to have been conveniently overlooked and the stigma remains, in my view, attached to those of a more dubious or nautical background. I do think that opinion is slowly shifting in some areas towards the art form of tattoos and the body as a canvas for some to display their passions. And when all said and done, human beans is human beans - we is all different. I have seen some truly beautiful tattoos but their sheer size would put me off. Commemorative tattoos of the GW might increase and I will be on the look-out now - a new spotter activity!

Tattooing began with sailors returning from Polynesia.

Presumably done parrot-fashion.

I confess I have found it easy to resist the temptation to be inked-up (or pierced, for that matter).

Sorry to resurrect an old thread , However Just had this done in memory of my family heroes. Done yesterday so still calming down.

1975027_259948450795806_5423035290005561

WOW! That's very good. It's quite nice to see this thread reopened.

My father asked me what I was going to look like when I was his age. I replied that I would look like a 75-year-old with tattoo's. He just looks like a 75-year-old.

Cheers Andy.

Our forefathers seemed to build memorials out of stone. We build them from ink.

King Christian of Denmark had a full chest tattoo over 100 years ago. Remember folks, a tattoo is for life, not just for Xmas;)

I`ve never fancied a tattoo. I did fancy buying a few T-shirts (nice thick, pre-shrunk US style) with a 14/15 trio printed front & centre about twice life size. And then I thought it perhaps a bit disrespectful to those who actually earned them. :unsure: So I didn`t.

I`ve never fancied a tattoo. I did fancy buying a few T-shirts (nice thick, pre-shrunk US style) with a 14/15 trio printed front & centre about twice life size. And then I thought it perhaps a bit disrespectful to those who actually earned them. :unsure: So I didn`t.

They are on a tee shirt so disrespect does not enter into it.

• 2 weeks later...

They are on a tee shirt so disrespect does not enter into it.

That might be a matter of opinion, of course. :whistle:

That might be a matter of opinion, of course. :whistle:

I am fairly respectful, it would not bother me personally.

At the risk of censure, I have to say that I find those tattoos revolting. Can't think why I even looked at this thread.

Hazel C.

At the risk of censure, I have to say that I find those tattoos revolting. Can't think why I even looked at this thread.

Hazel C.

Thank you Hazel. So do I, oddly. I find this thread rather like an accident on the other carriageway of a motorway. One knows one shouldn't, but ...