Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone else getting or got a tattoo for the commemoration of WW1 or fo

temptage

Seany,I will acept the comment in the spirit it was sent, I to can now see the error.The trouble is as an imperfect speller I often cannot see the mistakes. As somebody who has always had a problem in this direction then the way people comment can often be offensive, unless you have suffer the problem it is often dificult to describe .. One lives with it.

All the best Seany

Richard

To a greater or lesser extent we all live with it, I do apologise, its first day of annual leave and feeling mischevious I just couldn't resist it :):)

John we are all human, it is just the the people who can spell well, that take the moral high ground! They are to be pitied

Regards

Richard

Edited by RJPreston

I really like it, the signature that is not the tattoo which is ok but you know what I mean, well done.

Can Use it on my website on the page to remember those from 293 siege battery who lost their lives? I'll credit you of course.

Seany,

the use of my signature on your website will be my pleasure. I'm just happy that others find the words worthy of use.

Tony

Shall or will?

The traditional rule in standard British English is that shall is used with first person pronouns (i.e. I and we) to form the future tense, while will is used with second and third person forms (i.e. you, he, she, it, they). For example:

I shall be late

They will not have enough food.

However, when it comes to expressing a strong determination to do something, the roles are reversed: will is used with the first person, and shall with the second and third. For example:

I will not tolerate such behaviour.

You shall go to the ball!

In practice, though, the two words are used more or less interchangeably, and this is now an acceptable part of standard British and US English.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/shall-or-will Hmmmm...

Tony,

As mentioned I have a number of memorial tattoo's and here are some.

post-41030-0-81321700-1376305721_thumb.j

post-41030-0-82325100-1376305747_thumb.j

Now, I do have space on my right forearm for something else. As a member of the In From the Cold Project, I would like to get a number (rather large) with 'Sacrifice Remembered' underneath. I just need to wait for the remainder of my submissions to come through, hopefully, and I'll get it done.

I have also considered getting another poppy with the details of PTE Frederick Sansom, 4th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, on me somewhere. I am not a family member and have no connection apart from I have his medals. He was killed in action on 23 August 1914 at the Battle of Mons. They, and he, have always been rather special to me. August next year would be a great time to get it.

Anyway, the top photo is a tattoo of the Digger Statue at the end of the ANZAC bridge, Sydney. Why do we get these? It's our way of showing we care. Even as a serving soldier I hold our forefathers in, not just awe, but sheer and utter reverence. Hey, I'm nearly 40 as well.

Cheers Andy.

Phil_B,

does that mean I have got the thumbs up from the OED?

Andy,

digger - love it

POW-MIA - love it

poppy - love it

Lets hope no Americans see your tats as they will say the word 'honour' is spelt/spelled incorrectly

'You are not forgotten'? That's the third person plural present indicative isnt it? Or is it the imperative?

You need to conjugate something with the nominative pronoun to get the correct wording.

I have also considered getting another poppy with the details of PTE Frederick Sansom, 4th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, on me somewhere. I am not a family member and have no connection apart from I have his medals. He was killed in action on 23 August 1914 at the Battle of Mons. They, and he, have always been rather special to me. August next year would be a great time to get it.

Cheers Andy.

Andy, In the early 80s I used to travel on coach tours with Rose Coombs and quite a lot of 4th Middlesex veterans that fought at Mons on 23rd August. Thy would have known Frederick Sansom well. What a shame they are no longer around to put questions to. They were a grand bunch of lads.

Eddie

'You are not forgotten'? That's the third person plural present indicative isnt it? Or is it the imperative?

You need to conjugate something with the nominative pronoun to get the correct wording.

Ke??

Obviously never seen Life of Brian then!

This topic is open to the entire web, so can we keep it at least within range of the straight and narrow. It would be a shame to be forced to move it to Skindles and I don't want to spend/waste time hiding posts.

Keith

Tony,

As mentioned I have a number of memorial tattoo's and here are some.

post-41030-0-81321700-1376305721_thumb.j

post-41030-0-82325100-1376305747_thumb.j

Now, I do have space on my right forearm for something else. As a member of the In From the Cold Project, I would like to get a number (rather large) with 'Sacrifice Remembered' underneath. I just need to wait for the remainder of my submissions to come through, hopefully, and I'll get it done.

Anyway, the top photo is a tattoo of the Digger Statue at the end of the ANZAC bridge, Sydney. Why do we get these? It's our way of showing we care. Even as a serving soldier I hold our forefathers in, not just awe, but sheer and utter reverence. Hey, I'm nearly 40 as well.

Cheers Andy.

I think the digger tattoo looks great. Well done.

I have a few tattoo's butterflies ivy band etc all have personal meaning which is why i have them! after seeing a few WW1 tattoo's online mostly soldiers etc I'm thinking of adding one to my list of to do tattoo's

I do like the ones here I'll maybe get a poppy or something similar especailly afetr all the work of finding out 170+ ,men of Reepham!

• 7 months later...
Guest Slingblade1966

This is In Flanders Fields poem done in John McCrae's handwriting.

I have the helmeted skull of a dead German above it.

post-108932-0-36939400-1396800345_thumb.

I admire all of you who have done this public expression of remembrance!

My only example of such a marking is nothing and nowhere near comparable or as well-intentioned, just a small thing on the right buttock done many many years that my boys have apparently told their teachers about -'Daddy's got a picture of mummy on his bottom'!

Slingblade.......very nice indeed. Nice touch with the handwriting style too. Could quite easily just be done in block text with a regular font but to do it in hos actual handwriting is very clever.

Trajan..........its not uncommon for the buttock tattoo to become a talking point. What people dont realise is just how painful it is.

Trajan..........its not uncommon for the buttock tattoo to become a talking point. What people dont realise is just how painful it is.

Complete pain in the ar se, indeed.

Many years ago an ex girlfriend had a W tattoo on each buttock. To see her bend over was a WOW!

It were painful indeed, and so yes Mr Broomfield, a real pain in the nether regions... What astounded me most though was after I got married when my entirely respectable Turkish ma-in-law and my equally respectable and unmarried sister-in-law demanded to see the same! One of those times when it would have been easier to wear a kilt...

What happens if you meet a German? On the beach?

What happens if you meet a German? On the beach?

Or a bathhouse?

• 5 months later...