Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Re: Harold William Pearson- Court Martial Records 1916/7

billbir

Hi,

I hope that this is the correct area, for my query.

My grandfather above, was a Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant in the King's Royal Rifles 109 Training Reserve based in Wimbledon. I have now discovered two newspaper reports and a civil trial document, that has a Harold William Pearson, Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant, being tried and found guilty of 'Conspiring together with others to defraud the King and Secretary of State for War by false representation in respect of food supplied to a Training Reserve battalion at Wimbledon Camp'. The age given was 32, but mine would have been about 30. I understand that although the trial took place in the Central Criminal Courts, sentence of 18 months Hard Labour being passed down on 20 January 1917, there would also be a Court Martial. Is there anyone who could obtain any details, for me. Although I am 95% certain the Harold William Pearson named, is mine, there is a slight age discrepancy and the name is a common one. I would like some information, such as home address, date of birth or next of kin, to be 100% certain.

Suffice to say, there is no-one in the family, who is aware of this issue.

Any help or guidance, would be much appreciated.

You could try digging in these records? UK National Archives

8. Trials of non-commissioned officers and other ranks, 1688-1986

Non-commissioned officers and other ranks could be tried by any of the courts martial, so you may have to look in two sets of records. For the most serious offences tried at general and field general courts martial, the records are as described for officers (see section 7). For less serious offences tried at general regimental and district garrison courts martial, consult: Type of record Dates Catalogue reference Proceedings 1914-1993 WO 71/387-1586 Registers: home and abroad 1812-1829 WO 89 Registers: home and abroad 1829-1971 WO 86 London area: registers 1865-1875 WO 87 India: registers 1878-1945 WO 88 Registers: field courts martial and military courts 1909-1963 WO 213

Records of minor offences tried at regimental courts martial are not held by The National Archives, but may be held at regimental museums.

Hi Black Sapper,

Thanks for the advice. I must say that I find the National Archive records, bewildering. I suspect that I will have to pay someone to do the research, or make a special trip to Kew. I was rather optimistically, hoping, that someone who visited Kew on a regular basis, might fit in a search for me.

Bill

• 1 year later...

Harold William Pearson is covered by these various topics (includes this topic):

Re: Harold William Pearson- Kings Royal Rifles

Re: HW Pearson and Military Crime

Re: Harold William Pearson- Court Martial Records 1916/7

Kings Royal Rifles, 109 Training Reserve

Newbie Question re Harold William Pearson

King's Royal Rifles - Training Reserves

In some of these topics, Bill also refers to a topic posted in the Photos section, but I haven't not been able to find that yet.