Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial for Sale

hmsk212

The seller listed it with a start price of £50 with a Buy It Now of £400 but when the bids went in, the B.I.T removed itself.

I was the first bid at £50 but on reflexion I won't be bididng again as I agree with others that it should stay where it belongs.

If that was from my hometown I'd pay a lot more that that for it!

Wolverhampton members - Buy it immediately! You'd be gutted if the listing ends because an unknown bidder has made a cash offer. Then it may disappear forever.

I would be willing to make a 'donation' to buy it if anyone can sort something out.

Neil

If members from the area decide to make a bid, a post in the Appeals area would make sense. There might be a few contributions forthcoming. Perhaps either as pledges, or cheques not presented until or unless a deal is done.

Keith

I guess we are hoping that when it finally sells it goes for a price which guarantees it has not gone for its scrap value...

I have just made him an offer within the figures already mentioned and the seller turned it down saying he wants to leave it in the auction format, because he hopes it stays in Wolverhampton ............. That's where I would have kept it !

Whilst I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this memorial, I live in the exact area of Wolverhampton from which it is said to come and am intrigued to know which building it came from as it is many years since any building of the type that would have such a memorial has been demolished.

Roy

Has anyone thought of contacting the local press?

Not from Wolverhampton myself, but I strongly think this should be saved for the local community.

Tim

I personally think trading in memorials (and medals for that matter, but as I say that's just a personal opinion) is immoral and profiting from the dead and his 'buy it now' should certainly be ignored, indeed what right does he have to sell it? .....

Ken

Whilst I do not support the sale of memorials, the sad fact is finding a suitable custodian, without including private collectors, is not always that easy.

I have the memorial pictured in my avatar. It was made by my great grandfather and I aquired it when the church it hung in was deconsecrated. The town it comes from already has two other memorials with almost identical names on them. Whilst I will never sell it what happens after my death is a different matter. No one else in my family is remotely interested in inheriting it, if it was given to a "local" museum (there is not one in the town) it would probably end up in storage and the council declined the offer of a long term loan when I insisted on it being displayed. Chances are after my death it will end up on ebay returning a tidy profit for someone.

Andy

Hi all, I'm following a similar thread on WW2Talk to this and being that you chaps and chapette's are the WW1 experts...

Can I ask where in Wolverhampton do you think it should go?

Has anyone asked them if they will accept it and publically display it?

Would there be any cost to whoever donated it to them to display?

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy

There is a RBL club in Wolverhampton which has a room dedicated to displaying memorials that have been discarded see here on my site for two examples-

http://www.wolverhamptonwarmemorials.org.uk/memorial_pages/Works/Heath_Town_Working_Mens_Club.htm

http://www.wolverhamptonwarmemorials.org.uk/memorial_pages/Works/The_Ever_Ready_Social_Club.htm

I would suggest this is the place to display it if there was a way of Wolverhamton financing a bid to buy it.

Regards Doug

In this instance, the local archives are quite heavily involved in a WWI centenary project, see http://wolverhamptonswar.wordpress.com/ so I think they might be interested to hear about this

I wonder if the seller could be persuaded to provide better pictures for the NIWM. Obviously even better if it ended up in a proper location in Wolverhampton rather than a private collection.

Keith

Hi Keith

More importantly,I hope he provides a photograph for me, I have requested one from him stating that if Wolverhampton can't keep the memorial than there is a record available. My site as you can see from all the links and photographs in this thread provides in my humble opinion a place for it. I only hope he does, as the photograph on eBay is the only one that we have.

Regards Doug

Hi Andy

There is a RBL club in Wolverhampton which has a room dedicated to displaying memorials that have been discarded see here on my site for two examples-

http://www.wolverham...g_Mens_Club.htm

http://www.wolverham...Social_Club.htm

I would suggest them if there was a way of Wolverhamton financing a bid to buy it.

Regards Doug

I've suggested on WW2Talk that I'm happy to buy it on several conditions. Some one will give it a home without further expence to me, it's displayed somewhere in the public domain, and the big one-The price is right as I don't want to tread on anyone elses toes (the prices I've seen mentioned on here are not a problem for me) who's planning on doing the same as me. I'm awaiting a reply from the National Arboretum to see if they are interested in adopting it. Being a RBL member myself I'm happy to give it to the local branch assuming they'd want it and pay any costs to display it. Can any of you locals ask?

Finally, If any of you chaps and or chapettes are seriously planning to put a bid together or individually let me know and I'll stand down. WW1 is your area and I'm pretty much 100% a Dunkirk kinda guy.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy

I'm away from home at the moment but I'm back in Wolverhampton tomorrow. I will go and see the chairman of the club sometime tomorrow.

Regards Doug.

We have a South Staffs pals meeting on Tuesday evening and the plaque is due to finish on Wednesday and if he keeps to what he told me and lets the auction run to its conclusion, we have breathing space to formulate who bids etc.

Doug is the ideal man with reference to finding a home for the plaque

Dave

I'm now happy that the memorial is indeed local to the area (but not I suspect to the immediate vicinity of Bantock Park) probably from a location nearer to the city centre.

Perhaps Andy (Drew5233) would be able to join us on Tuesday evening?

Roy

I'm now happy that the memorial is indeed local to the area (but not I suspect to the immediate vicinity of Bantock Park) probably from a location nearer to the city centre.

Perhaps Andy (Drew5233) would be able to join us on Tuesday evening?

Roy

I live in Leeds and unfortunately I'm working nights Monday and Tuesday.

The item is now stated as 'closed' with no bids!

Maybe the seller has had 2nd thoughts and is ngoing to donate it locally?

Andy.

The item is now stated as 'closed' with no bids!

Maybe the seller has had 2nd thoughts and is ngoing to donate it locally?

Andy.

Not from the last email he sent me-I'll ask whats happened.

The bidding was up to £161 with 4 days left so unless someone liked minded as ourselves has brought it 'Buy-it-Now' it might be another memorial has now gone 'Missing'.

If the seller hasn't sold the plaque I hope he does the right thing and donates it back to Wolverhampton... A RBL as Doug Lewis suggested earlier in the thread.

Dave

I've just been informed I have the memorial on my site just didn't realise I had it (what a numty) It is a factory memorial, Cable Street mill works.

http://www.wolverhamptonwarmemorials.org.uk/memorial_pages/Works/cable_street_mills.htm

Regards Doug.

I have passed the info on to the local paper.

Tony

It's possible he was asked to end the listing as it is against the ebay rules to sell memorials. There was recently a WW1 Liverpool memorial went through a similar process and was eventually (after the press got involved) bought 'off-ebay' by the deputy mayor no less, to be displayed in a suitable place. I hope this Wolverhampton memorial gets as good a result.

I have passed the info on to the local paper.

Tony

Hi Mate, have you contacted Peter Rhodes?

Roy

I've just been informed I have the memorial on my site just didn't realise I had it (what a numty) It is a factory memorial, Cable Street mill works.

http://www.wolverham...treet_mills.htm

Regards Doug.

Isn’t that the image Kentishwolf posted today, 11:33 AM, post 21?

Kath.