Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial for Sale

hmsk212

This excellent news indeed. Congratulations to all involved and huge tip of the hat to the gentleman who saved this memorial from being lost.

Agreed. Marvellous.

Well done to all those involved, in particular the man who first saved it from the skip. Without his initial action in purchasing (and thus owning) the memorial. It would probably have been melted down. Food for thought for those who think 'ownership' of war memorials is such a bad thing. That he has now donated it at his own cost to the British Legion, shows his mettle. I'd still like to buy him a pint. No, make that two ...or six. :thumbsup:

Totally agree Andy

Doug.

He's going to be drunk on that night Doug! :devilgrin:

Happy to confirm Doug's statement in post #129 that the donation to the RBL was indeed set up before the involvement of the Express and Star, Dave being the point of contact with the owner and Doug making the arrangement for the RBL to house the memorial. At one stage I feared that if anything, the involvement of the local rag and councillors would destroy the trust that Dave had created with the owner.

Roy

I think that anyone who has followed this thread would have learnt for themselves that the owner of the memorial who donated it to the RBL had rescued it from being scrapped, it is unfortunate that he is still being vilified in the local press (or at least by people making comment in the press).

Forum members will also have noticed that Keith (Admin) had taken a couple of posts off (114) as this was the time everything had been arranged but no hand over had occurred so it was a decision taken to take any pressure off the owner, not to make public (as such) what was going to happen.

Dave