Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial for Sale

hmsk212

Steve

I've dropped an email to Doug Lewis drawing his attention to the thread. If anyone knows the connection, it'll be him.

John

Hi Steve/John

I have not seen these before I have an idea where they might have come from but will have to dig around to be certain, will let you know what I find.

Regards Doug.

Taking one name at random:

Austin Frederick Hubert Second Lieutenant 1st Bn Essex Regiment Only son of Federick North Austin and Nellie Austin of 2275, Coleman Street, Wolverhampton. Educated at Bishop’s Stortford and Higher Grade School, Wolverhampton. Enlisted in Feb 1915, in South Staffordshire Regt Gazetted 2nd Lt Feb 1917 Born at Chelmsford. Died - 12 November, 1918. Aged - 19. Memorial - Tourlaville Communal Cemetery, & Extension - Manche, France. B.3

... is commemorated on the Wolverhampton Roll of Honour and the Compton Road Memorial, Wolverhampton and the Wolverhampton Higher Grade School Memorial.

As he was only 19 when he was killed, doesn't seem likely he had time to settle elsewhere - just a strat (I'm off to bed now)

Graham

It says it came from a club in the Wolverhampton area.

I've sent the seller a message asking which club and how he got it.

I'll post his reply.

Sandie

An original brass ww1 memorial plaque from the Bantock Park area of Wolverhampton

A very nice memorial, including the names of those who survived.

I have had a little look and the RBL club Penn Road, Wolverhampton was fairly recently demolished.

There's no listing for the RBL club on the UKNIWM, but it's hard to believe that the RBL would abandon the memorial. There seem to be quite a number of church and methodist memorials in the area, and I noticed that the centrepiece has a religious tone. Quite a few chapels have been closed or demolished over recent years, so that might be another possibility. Some of the sites might even have been used subsequently as a club.

Keith

There's no listing for the RBL club on the UKNIWM, but it's hard to believe that the RBL would abandon the memorial. There seem to be quite a number of church and methodist memorials in the area, and I noticed that the centrepiece has a religious tone. Quite a few chapels have been closed or demolished over recent years, so that might be another possibility. Some of the sites might even have been used subsequently as a club.

Keith

Not hard to believe at all Keith, in fact when a Bristol RBL club was being refurbished much of what was on display was just thrown away including WW1 memorial plaques one of which I have named to Valentine Charles Haile. The RBL or indeed the Church do not have a monopoly on either commonsense or respect for history so if the items were stripped from an RBL club or church that would come as no surprise to me at all.

Norman

Bantock Park is on the Finchfield road WV 3 9LQ was the land originally part of Bantock House which started life as Merridale Farm, in the 1800s it extended to 85 acres.

There is aload of info about Bantock house And park on the Wolverhampton city council web site

Dave

Another interesting fact, At the start of the First War A. B Bantock was elected mayor of Wolverhampton for the third time

Bantock house and park was used by the Home guard in the second war and is now a museum.

Just had another look at the memorial on E-*** and in one picture its shows a secondary list of names from Bradmore which again is in that area of Wolverhampton.

Dave

Are the symbols on the top Masonic?

Hope this remains in Wolverhampton, any Pals bidding?

Tony

I grew up around that area, I have sent a message to an old mate of mine who may be able to help. Sad it is for sale, it should be donated to a worthy custodian in the area, but sadly, money talks.

It came from The United Services Club, Great Brickkiln Street, Merridale Wolves, recently sold .

THe Paras etc used to meet there.

Tony

I Have contacted the seller and he said a Buy-it - Now price would be £400 - £600, a bit to much for my budget unfortunately

Dave

I wonder if the seller could be persuaded to provide better pictures for the NIWM. Obviously even better if it ended up in a proper location in Wolverhampton rather than a private collection.

Keith

• Admin

The symbols on the top of the Memorial are Christian symbols (not Masonic), my guess is Methodist (a search on the service records for any legible names might confirm religion - unfortunately I don't have time today). Also the 1911 Census could provide a clue as people didn't usually travel too far to worship.

The circle represents God ('s Love) and the triangle the Trinity representing 'eternal life' so those who died are 'in the arms of God' and 'liveth for evermore'. I think they are angels on the scroll.

I'm with Keith many Chapels were pulled down/converted in the 70s/80s, in the village I'm researching I know the memorials from both the Methodist (now two bungalows) and Congregational (now a block of flats) Chapels were salvaged from a skip and are currently in private hands at the back of a garage. I imagine this memorial was probably 'rescued' in the same way and lodged at the club for safe keeping.

There have been other threads on the morality of memorials appearing on ebay, and while possession may be nine points of the law I personally think trading in memorials (and medals for that matter, but as I say that's just a personal opinion) is immoral and profiting from the dead and his 'buy it now' should certainly be ignored, indeed what right does he have to sell it? You can't sell stolen or plundered art so why can you sell a memorial that clearly does not belong to you. Perhaps the best and most constructive thing to do is find some provenance I doubt it lies with the USC.

With the centenary coming up surely the right thing to do is to offer it to a local museum first?

Ken

Why is everyone ignoring the link I posted at 9? The names on the memorial outside what was the chapel are the same as those on the metal memorial. I would suggest the memorial originated from inside that chapel.

Auchonvillerssomme is correct. Even to wording on the top matches that of the remaining memorial in Compton Road. "To the Glory of God and in memory of the following who gave their lives in defence of their country1914 - 1918"

Found this whilst googling under images listed as Cable Street Mills, Wolverhampton.

post-79542-0-37177900-1362828729_thumb.j

Edited by Kentishwolf

Auchonvilliers is obviously correct in what he posted in post 9, The areas mentioned in all the posts Merridale, Finchfield, Brantock Park, etc are all within a short distance of each other.

Having now found the area of Wolves that the plaque came from, Some of us are now more concerned with trying to keep the plaque in Wolvo and have moved unintentionally away from the actual original location of the plaque so sorry Auchon if we overlooked your posting

Dave

It is also good that the plaques mention those who served as well as the dead. Good luck with trying to keep the plaques in their proper location and hopefully a place where the public can view them.

Norman

I live 400 yards from the memorial in Compton so very important it stays in Wolverhampton.

Tony