Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Band

KathyTaylor

Frogsmile

Gosh, well done for finding this great speech. Ithink if I had been there, I would have been dipping into my purse. Can I ask where you found this.

Kathy

Frogsmile

Gosh, well done for finding this great speech. Ithink if I had been there, I would have been dipping into my purse. Can I ask where you found this.

Kathy

I found it at this link Kathy: http://brebru.com/mu...itarybands.html

And this one (further down the page) http://www.worldmilitarybands.com/pearson-archives-part-a/

• 3 weeks later...

About diced cap bands. Did not the English and Welsh police adopt these from the Scottish police , who had them much earlier?

The british Police( England and Wales) adopted chequered hatbands in 1970, Linconshire was one of the first Force as a Home Office experiment. The old Newcastle City had peaked hats with a striped hatband, a'la the Utd football team from that Parish.

Tony P

About diced cap bands. Did not the English and Welsh police adopt these from the Scottish police , who had them much earlier?

Yes, it is well recorded that the Glasgow Police were the first. The pattern was first adopted for police use in 1932 by Sir Percy Sillitoe, Chief Constable of the City of Glasgow Police. Subsequently known as 'Sillitoe Tartan' the distinctive black and white chequered pattern was originally associated with the police in Scotland, but it later spread to Australia, New Zealand, and the rest of the UK, as well as to some other places such as Chicago. It was based on the diced bands seen on the glengarries that are worn by several Scottish regiments.