Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

A selection of photographs showing the golden statue of the Virgin Mary and infant Jesus atop the tower of the Basilica of Notre-Dame de Brebières in Albert, hanging precariously in the horizontal position which it maintained for most of WW1, until it fell to the ground after the tower was shelled by British artillery in April 1918.

LF

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-18475500-1415969825_thumb.j

post-63666-0-52023500-1415969838_thumb.j

post-63666-0-13860600-1415969875_thumb.j

The 'Gallipoli' locomotive was one of those built for use there by the British but not delivered, it's covered in one of the WDLR Album books. Light railways using man, horse or mule power were certainly used there though

The 'Gallipoli' locomotive was one of those built for use there by the British but not delivered, it's covered in one of the WDLR Album books. Light railways using man, horse or mule power were certainly used there though

RobL,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Regards,

LF

The beautifully restored Basilica of Notre-Dame de Brebières in Albert with its golden statue of the Virgin Mary and infant Jesus atop the tower.

LF

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-48109200-1415992946_thumb.j

Details of the beautiful golden statue of the Virgin Mary holding the infant Jesus aloft, atop the tower of the Basilica of Notre-Dame de Brebières in Albert, and which for most of WW1,hung at a precarious horizontal angle.

LF

post-63666-0-81555400-1415993246_thumb.j

post-63666-0-81219000-1415993308_thumb.j

Lancs,

Seem to recall reading somewhere, that the survival of the Golden Virgin at such a precarious angle for so long, was assisted by judiciously positioned support wires, courtesy of French Army Engineers.

Mike.

Seem to recall reading somewhere, that the survival of the Golden Virgin at such a precarious angle for so long, was assisted by judiciously positioned support wires, courtesy of French Army Engineers.

Mike.

Mike,

I also read that, and it may well have happened, as I am sure the French would have done everything possible to safeguard that beloved statue. Unfortunately, whatever precautions they took, they were not able to withstand the British artillery's shelling of the tower.

Regards,

LF

Two photographs, one taken in August 1918 immediately after Albert was recaptured from the Germans, and the other taken in September 1918, both showing the full extent of the British shelling which completely destroyed the Basilica's tower and finally brought the statue down.

LF

August 1918

IWM These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-82423400-1416053074_thumb.j

September 1918 - British cavalry passing the destroyed Basilica of Notre-Dame de Brebières in Albert.

LF

IWM These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-22793200-1416053353_thumb.j

Tim,

I recalled having a copy of the reverse of this German photograph with the English translation, which does describe it as being a self propelled winch, which served kite balloon ( Drachen ) units.

Attached is a copy of the reverse of the photograph which is dated 17th July, 1918.

Regards,

LF

Translation -
5484 Die Autowinde, die mit Einheiten der Drachen dient -
Translation - The self propelled winch, which served kite balloon units.
Dieses Bild ist vom Generalstab zur Veröffentlichung zugelassen werden. Das gestempelte Original befindet sich in meinen Händen.

Alle Rechte forbehalten. A. Grohs Jllustracione Verlag, Berlin SW.68, Zimmerstr. 48b. Belegexemplar erbeten.

Translation - This image was approved (released) for publication by the General Staff. The stamped original is in my hands. All rights reserved. A. Grohs Jllustracione Publishers, Berlin SW. 68, Zimmer Str. 48 b.

17 July 1918

I'm way behind on this thread, having only discovered it 2 days ago. I'm only up to page 19 so far (post #473), but am thoroughly enjoying it, despite no great previous in military motors - it's quite fascinating!

In the interest of accuracy, I think you'll find that the text on the strip of paper stuck to the back reads

5484 Die Autowinde, die zum Einziehen der Drachen dient

i.e. ...for the purpose of pulling in the kites.

Also, the rubber stamp is of "A. Grohs Illustrations Publishing House" - a photo agency - and the final line "Belegexemplar erbeten" means "specimen copy requested", so the photo was sent, or at least intended to be sent, with/as a press release.

I would guess the meaning of the abbreviation M. d. V. d. J. Ph. to be Mitglied des Verbands der Journalistischen Photographen meaning "Member of the Association of journalistic Photographers" - as I say, that's just a guess and I can think of a couple of alternative wordings, but they all boil down to the same basic thing.

Cheers Colin

I'm way behind on this thread, having only discovered it 2 days ago. I'm only up to page 19 so far (post #473), but am thoroughly enjoying it, despite no great previous in military motors - it's quite fascinating!

Cheers Colin

Colin,

Welcome to the Thread, and we are pleased to hear that you are enjoying the posts.

Many thanks for the translations, they are extremely useful and interesting.

Regards,

LF

Have been off forum for a few days so apologies for my delay in reacting to BSM Rod's prompt in post 2720. The Indian Head unit mark on the FWD in post 2702 is the mark of 4th Pontoon Park (360 Company ASC) and the photo is certainly during their service in XIV Corps in Italy. Mike Young's ASC History mentions the unit providing vehicles fitted with 300 gallon water tanks to carry water up to the Asiago plateau. Because of the versatility of the FWDs the Pontoon Park's vehicles were also used to shift field artillery during the deployment up to the plateau in March 1917. Will now leave you all to get back to Virgins etc!

Yours

Mike

The Indian Head unit mark on the FWD in post 2702 is the mark of 4th Pontoon Park (360 Company ASC) and the photo is certainly during their service in XIV Corps in Italy. Mike Young's ASC History mentions the unit providing vehicles fitted with 300 gallon water tanks to carry water up to the Asiago plateau.

Mike,

Many thanks for the confirmation of the ' Indian Head ' being the unit sign for the 4th Pontoon Park (360 Company ASC), and the FWD Water Tankers use in Italy, all useful and interesting information to go with that photograph.

Regards,

LF

12 inch Railway Howitzer

The 12 inch Railway Howitzer, officially known as the Ordnance BL ( Breech Loading ) 12 inch howitzer on truck, railway, was developed following the success of the 9.2 Siege Howitzer.

The 12 inch Railway Howitzers were manufactured by Armstrong Whitworth & Co. Ltd., at their ' Elswick ' works in Newcastle.

Three variations were produced, the Mk I, III and V.

The Mk I was introduced in March 1916 and is identified by having the shorter barrel length ( 12 feet ) and the gun's recuperator is located above the barrel.

The Mk III with the longer-barrel ( 17 feet 3 inc ) Mk III soon followed, with a heavier breech to balance the gun. It still retained the recuperator above the barrel.

Mk V, dating from July 1917, also with a 17 feet 3 ins barrel, moved the recoil buffer and recuperator into a single housing below the barrel, which was common for all new British artillery developed during World War I. It also had a lighter breech with the gun balanced by the redesigned recoil system and altered gun positioning on the cradle.

The Mk V also relocated the loading platform from the railway wagon to the revolving gun mounting, which now allowed 120° of traverse, and by overhanging the opposite side provided crew access when the gun fired to the side (90° traverse) and also helped to balance it.

12 inch Railway Howitzer's specifications :-

Designed and manufactured by the Armstrong Whitworth Co. Ltd., at their Elswick Ordnance Company in Newcastle.

Number built - 81
Variants - Mk I, III, V.
Barrel lengths - Mk I - 12 feet
Mk III, V - 17 feet 3 ins
Shell - High Explosive ( HE ) 750 lb
Filling Weight - 83 lb 3 oz Amatol
Calibre - 12 inch
Elevation - Mk I, III - 40 - 65 degrees
Mk V - 20 - 65 degrees
Traverse - Mk I, III - 20 degrees left and right
Mk V - 120 degrees left and right
Muzzle Velocity - Mk I - 1,175 ft/sec
Mk III, V - 1468 ft/sec
Effective Firing Range - Mk I - 11,132 yards
Mk III - 15,000 yards
Mk V - 14,350 yards

12 inch Railway Howitzer's technical details as shown in " A Report on the Characteristics, Scope of Utility etc., of Railway Artillery " published in 1922 :-

" The 12-Inch Railway Mounted Howitzer, Mark I
The railway mount for the 12 inch Howitzer is of the cradle recoil, top-carriage traverse type.
The Gun for the Mark I Howitzer was of the wire-wound type. It comprise of an inner tube and an outer jacket between which at the breech end the wire is wound. The breech mechanism is of the interrupted screw type operated by the continuous turning of an handwheel. The firing mechanism is of the percussion type. The Mark I was fitted on both sides with splines that check the rotation of the gun in the cradle, the weight being carried by 10 narrow cylindrical bronze liners.
The recoil-mechanism is the hydro-pneumatic type, in which the liquid of the pneumatic recuperator is constantly in contact with the air. The length of the recoil is 32 inches. The single buffer cylinder is mounted in the centre at the bottom of the cradle and the two recuperator cylinders on either side of the centre at the top, the air reservoir being mounted in the centre between them.
The elevating mechanism is in duplicate, combining both a slow and rapid operation. It comprises a single screw attached to the bottom of the cradle and passing through a nut that can be connected by a clutch with either the slow or rapid gearing. The minimum elevation at which the Howitzer can be operated is 40 degrees and the maximum is 65 degrees. Operation at less that 40 degrees would bring the line of recoil sufficiently without the base of the top carriage as to turn it over.
The Traversing Mechanism - The gun carriage rests on a series of conical rollers which in turn rest on a circular track on the bed of the car. It is possible to traverse this carriage 360 degrees, but firing should only take place within 20 degrees on either side on the track centre line.
The Mark I Howitzer's gun carriage is of the Barbette type and comprises of two structural-steel side frames mounted on a racer of ordinary design and connected with each other by a transom and the operating platform. The crane used for lifting the shells from the ground to the tray is mounted on this working platform.
The railway car body, is of the platform type.
Anchorage System - over the front and rear trucks are located screw jacks used in raising the car for placing or removing the platform. In addition to this platform the car is anchored forward by two 1-inch steel cables attached to 16 x 16 inch x 12 foot beams buried 6 feet below the surface of the ground. For lateral bracing 12 x 12 inch timbers are placed between the side of the car about in line with the centre of the tracks and an improvised timber platform in the back beside the car.
The Ammunition Supply System - The method of transferring the projectile form the ground into the gun is the same on these two mounts but is unlike the method used on the Mark V Howitzer.
This equipment comprises of a crane located on the left side of the working platform by which the projectile is transferred to the tray carried on the arm attached to the left side frame of the top carriage. When the arm is swung to the right the lip of the tray enters the breech of the gun and the projectile is rammed in by hand.
The 12-Inch Railway Mounted Howitzer, Marks III and V
The mounts for these two Howitzers are identical in design. However, there are many differences in the design of the various details of the top carriage, cradle, loading system, and elevating gear.
The gun on the Marks III and V has no essential differences with that of the Mark I. However, the gun on the Mark I Howitzer was fitted with splines on either side and were carried in the usual type of cylindrical cradle while those on the Mark III and V are provided with guide hoops, by which the gun is supported on the top on an open or under type of cradle quite similar to that used on the 8-inch field howitzers. There are no essential differences in the design details of the breech mechanism.
Recoil Mechanism - The cradle is made up simply of plates and special angles and the design of the individual units of the recoil mechanism is not unlike that of the similar units of the Mark I mechanism. There are two hydraulic buffer cylinders and one pneumatic recuperator cylinders, in which the liquid is always in contact with the air. The pistons of all three cylinders are attached to the recoil lug at the rear. The maximum recoil is 62 inches with full charge and an elevation of 45 degrees.
Elevating Mechanism - The elevating mechanism is not essentially unlike that on the Mark I. The nut through which the elevating screw passes is mounted between the side frames and the top carriage and somewhat to the rear instead of outside an at the front of the Mark I mount. This mechanism is provided for both slow and rapid operation, as with the other, and the details of the design of this feature are the same. The elevating handwheel is mounted on the left side of the carriage.
Traversing Mechanism - the same as on the Mark I.
Gun Carriage - A comparison between the gun carriage on the Mark I and that of the Mark III and V shows there is a difference in the shape of the side frames of the top carriage and quite a difference in the working platforms. The racers, roller paths and bases are quite similar.
Railway Car Body - The body is of structural steel throughout. Jack screws are provided at either end for use in emplacing the mount.
Anchorage System - The system of anchorage is not unlike that for the Mark I mount. Heavy beams are placed under the well section of the car body and holdfasts can be used in front if desired. On the other hand the mount can be permitted to slide to the rear on the beams and after raising the mount from the beams it is brought back to the firing position by means of the warping winch installed in the forward vertical leg of the car body.. Emplacing jack screws are incorporated over each truck, by means of which the car body can be raised from the truck to allow placing of the beams and likewise raising the car body to permit the return to the firing position. Two screws over each truck are driven by ratchet levers which are connected with each other in parallelogram fashion and ropes are attached to either side so that crews of men on the two sides of the mount can exert sufficient force to turn the screws up or down as required.
Ammunition Supply System - The projectiles are transferred from the ground to the tray by means of a demountable crane which can be attached to the rear of the working platform. The cable of this crane goes to a winch in the rear of the top carriage where it is operated by a handle. This mount is provided with a shot truck mounted on a special track. The truck is run forward form its permanent track over a hinged bridge onto special rails in the cradle until it bumps the breech of the gun. The projectile is rammed in by hand."
The two attached photographs show Major J. J. Llewellyn and his crew of the 12 inch Mk I Railway Howitzer named " Alpha ", of the 52nd Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery at Dannes-Camiers railway station in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of Northern France.
LF

post-63666-0-36640400-1416148358_thumb.j

post-63666-0-00204000-1416148435_thumb.j

The following series of 4 photographs show a 12 inch Mk I Railway Howitzer of the 89th Siege Battery RGA ( Royal Garrison Artillery ) being prepared for firing on 14th June, 1916.

These photographs provide lots of details of the actions being taken the Howitzer's crew, the Howitzer and its railway mounting.

The photographs were taken at Dickebusch in the West Flanders region of Belgium.

LF

IWM 710 These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-38194900-1416149800_thumb.j

IWM 710 These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-56834700-1416150045_thumb.j

post-63666-0-07636100-1416150361_thumb.j

post-63666-0-42874400-1416150583_thumb.j

It is interesting to note that in the previous photographs showing the 12 inch Railway Howitzer at Dickebusch being prepared for firing, there are wooden panels resembling fencing panels lying on the ground around the Howitzer, and in the attached photograph of that Howitzer at Dickebusch actually firing, those wooden panels have been placed all around the Howitzer, obviously for good reason ?

LF

post-63666-0-92987100-1416151423_thumb.j

The wooden panels are fascinating - I can't say I've seen images of anything quite like them before. They are clearly very significant from the sheer number of them - many stacked to one side of the gun. If you look at post 2741 they are actually a frame for a fine wire mesh which is tacked onto the frame. You can see the officer actually standing on one of them. It's my guess that they are supposed to muffle most of the sound-wave from the detonation and do so by being placed all around the gun carriage before firing. I imagine they are chiefly for use in very dry conditions, hoping to try and keep the dust down, so as to reduce the chance of giving away their position? I don't think they were intended to be hammered into the ground as this would be neigh-on impossible; perhaps designed to be propped one against another forming an 'A' frame, but in this instance they have simply been rested against the carriage - much less work involved and maybe the gunners have already seen how questionable their use is?

David

Were they used as ladders?

It's my guess that they are supposed to muffle most of the sound-wave from the detonation and do so by being placed all around the gun carriage before firing.

David

I think David is correct, they look like they are being used muffles or baffles, or perhaps as mesh screens to catch any possible debris flying around, and it was clearly thought important enough to go to all that work of placing them all around the Howitzer.

Regards,

LF

A very clear photograph detailing the open breech on the Mk I Railway Howitzer, and showing the massive 12 inch 750 lb shell sitting in the loading tray.

Also shown, is the shell crane pulley, the cable for which is attached to the ' Shell Grab ' used to hold the shell in place while it is lifted onto the loading tray.

As was a common practice, the gunners have chalked a message on the shell, in this case " May it be a happy ending ", for the Germans on the receiving end.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-13993400-1416164722_thumb.j

In this enlarged portion of the photograph shown in post # 2742, we can see a gunner using the Howitzer's crane, the cable of which is attached to the ' Shell Grab ', which in turn is used to firmly grip the 750 lb shell while it is hoisted up onto the loading tray.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-34126300-1416166098_thumb.j