Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Downton Abbey 2

Alan Tucker

So far as the "fastforwarding" goes, they actually did a fair bit in the first series too if you look at the dates given for each episode

A question for the hospital experts amongst you. Would the Army and Navy have shared resourses such as beds during the real war?

From a couple of accounts I've read, the War Office had contracts with various private metal bedstead manufacturers, particularly in the Birmingham area. So I assume (sorry for that word) that these same firms made beds for the Admiralty, though perhaps to slightly different patterns. The number of beds in military hospitals (army) rose by 300,000 or so during the Great War, so those bed manufacturers must have been very busy. But as far as the auxiliary hospitals went, many of the beds, particularly in the early days, were either donated by private individuals, or were paid for by those who offered their houses for wartime use and were willing to self-finance the units. So they must have been sourced from a great many places.

Sue

Even during WW1 There were discussions in parliament about 'bed blocking' by soldiers who if civilians would otherwise be regarded as outpatients.

And also concerns about expense that sort of mirrors todays concerns about PFI :whistle:

HOSPITAL ACCOMMODATION.HC Deb 20 July 1916 vol 84 cc1219-20W 1220W

§ Major CHAPPLE asked the Secretary of State for War whether, in making provision for further hospital accommodation, he will devise some method of payment of architects and builders other than that which encourages them to squander public money?

§ Mr. FORSTER I should naturally wish to avoid any such arrangement, and my hon. Friend must not understand me to admit that it has been adopted in the past.

Even during WW1 There were discussions in parliament about 'bed blocking' by soldiers who if civilians would otherwise be regarded as outpatients.

Because auxiliary hospitals received a capitation grant for each occupied bed, some were reluctant to recommend men for discharge, especially if they were proving helpful to the hospital e.g. a carpenter in civilian life - always useful to have a bed filled with an almost-fit man. So from 1917 an Inspector of Hospitals was appointed, and he had to report on any soldier who had spent more than thirty days in an auxiliary hospitals and recommend him for examination and discharge if appropriate.

Sue

I can remember my parents telling me long ago ` a little bit of knowledge can be a bad thing`, and, sadly it most certainly is as far as this second series is concerned for me anyway, for the same reasons other people have all ready mentioned. I can also remember my parents telling me `if a jobs worth doing, do it properly`. With all the money spent on this Lavish series, surely, someone could have found somebody to have advised the producers, or whoever, to do just that, as far as the medical side of things are concerned and other inaccurecies.

I may be slighty stupid, but what actually is the storyline in this series, as its all of a bit of a mishmash to me.

Regards Frances

With regard to eye problems caused by mustard gas )posts 154 and 156) ; this appears not have been such a major problem. The late Ludwig Haber, son of Fritz Haber, head of Germany's chemical warfare effort in WW1 in his 1986 book, The Poisonous Cloud , has the following to say:

"Conjunctivitis, painful and briefly frightening, was , by far, the commonest injury caused by mustard gas - 86 percent of the USA gas casualties experienced it - but also the least dangerous. It yielded after three of four days to boracic washes or colloidal silver in aqueous solution and disappeared entirely in ten days to a fortnight. Conjunctivitis by itself rarely lead to complications but was a good indicator of the severity other injuries...."

Haber who was a lecturer in Economics at Sussex University and a thorough student of Chemical Warfare in WW1, interviewed a number of those who played a part in CW during this time, including Sir Harold Hartley who became head of Britain's CW effort in 1918.

TR

Both series have featured relatively few scenes away from Downton Abbey and Downton village. I suspect that Fellowes isn't very interested in the war and wants to rush through it because it takes key characters away from Downton.

I wrote:

I had been wondering when the cliches that everyone knows about the war would kick in, and they have all suddenly arrived at once: a lad shot for cowardice, a servant with shell-shock, an officer permanently blinded by gas (and committing suicide to add to the drama). I'm not saying these didn't happen. It's just that they arrived seemingly all at once in episode two :glare:....

I have just had a ghastly premonition that in the next episode, Downton Abbey will witness a terrible outbreak of war poetry....:rolleyes:

William

What like this?.

Boom. boom, boom, boom

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

Norman :thumbsup:

What like this?.

Boom. boom, boom, boom

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

Yup, that kind of thing! :lol:

And this one springs to mind:-

Wars a terrible thing

So I sing

Ting a ling

Thank you

Norman :innocent:

PS:

Just a guess but I reckon after writing the war poetry (see above) one of the young “Nobs” will transfer to the RFC, meet the Red Baron in mortal combat, suffer an upper thigh injury which makes him impotent then marry his nurse (a common person) and spend the rest of his life shooting peasants, sorry pheasants whilst living in the gamekeepers cottage on the estate in a threesome with an old soldier friend. Or am I getting a bit in front myself here?.

Yup, that kind of thing! :lol:

"Ah the mud,the shells and the endless poetry........" Captain Blackadder.

It really did make me yearn for Upstairs Downstairs - surely the benchmark by which we should judge Downton Abbey?

Hear Hear!

Instead of yearning, we can all obtain our copy of the Fourth series of 'Upstairs, Downstairs' from Amazon here (Series 4), and even do so on behalf of the GWF through the 'Support via Amazon' link at the top of the page. (I'd be interested in Sue's view on the hospital scenes there). In my view the writing is perfect, and the portrayal very sympathetic. Many issues are discussed, and the cliches are minimal. (You'll guess I liked it, then)

Best wishes

Peter

I was an avid watcher of 'Upstairs, Downstairs' but have just realised that I completely missed the whole of the fourth series as I was in Germany at that time 'doing the practical.' :rolleyes: I'll certainly get a copy of the DVDs and will look forward to them.

Sue

suffer an upper thigh injury which makes him impotent

Size obviously does matter!! :whistle:

Roger

I was an avid watcher of 'Upstairs, Downstairs' but have just realised that I completely missed the whole of the fourth series as I was in Germany at that time 'doing the practical.'

I hope you enjoy it - I think you will. And there are some pretty moving scenes in it. I'd love to know your view on the hospital side.

Peter

Roger this is a cricket commentators phrase used when the batsman is struck between the bails as it were!

Norman :rolleyes:

TMS says "a painful blow on the box"

everyone except him falls about larfing.

What like this?.

Boom. boom, boom, boom

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

boom, boom, boom, boom,

Very good, best chuckle in a long time. Realized I've now spent more time reading this thread than watching the series. Sad or what?

Dave

Found this family photo printed as a postcard, could be the staff at Downton!

Caption reads:-

At the University, Clifton 1915, Aunt Clara and Mr & Mrs Brimble

The place is Bristol UK

5471128110_fae8ac1113_z.jpg

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Norman

PS Spot the pussy cat!.

Another big error in Episode 3. We are supposed to be in late 1916 or 1917 and the Irish chauffeur does not want to join up because he might be sent to the Dardanelles!

I think they've now arrived towards the end of 1917 from what was said about Russia and the imprisonment of the Czar and family.

Sue

The Hon Aidan Murray-O'Connor comments in yesteday's Sunday Times "Culture":

"Downton's earl has the wrong service-dress uniform, wears a Sam Browne at table, a wing collar with mess kit and ranks on the shoulder of mess kit (not until at least the 1920s), and the brass buttons are dull and unpolished. Wrong. What is the point of period drama, when all the above points are incorrect."

The Hon Aidan's comment is not particularly grammatical and let us charitably attribute that to his original text being edited.

With reference to last night's episode, would an acting sergeant really have been put in charge of a convalescent home for officers. (OK, he wasn't in charge of them but the staff.) I suppose it was another dramatic device/liberty.

Moonraker