Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Downton Abbey 2

Alan Tucker

On Monday afternoon Richard Bacon took Radio 5 to the set at Highclere. In an interview with Penelope Wilton she said "whole villages were wiped out"!

I didn't hear the interview, but I would suggest that is the perception of one actress - and one that is, to be honest, held by many people - rather than anything to do with what the series will portray.

Interesting piece in the current London Scottish Gazette: apparently Downton Abbey (which I confess I've never seen) features the local Territorials in the next series. The London Jocks supplied Mess Silver and the (old) Regimental Colours for the Mess shots.

No idea where Downton is supposed to be, but I assume it's English. Thistles on the Regimental Colours will give we pedants something else to look out for :D

Perhaps Alan Tucker meant Highclere (Berkshire) rather than Kingsclere (Hampshire? The two are close to one another, but Highclere is the "castle" (more a stately home) that features in the first series - and the second one. But I suppose they could have been filming a village scene in Kingsclere. And was Penelope Wilton referring to the population or the buildings being "wiped out".

I believe that the fictional Downton Abbey is set near York.

See here

Moonraker

This thread already includes some great internal ammo for the Royal Corps of Pedants, in spelling and grammar!

The very title has "innaccuracies" to set us off, and then the usually reliable Mr Broomfield gives us "will give we pedants". Perhaps he has been affected by the overnight score at the Rose Bowl.

D

On Monday afternoon Richard Bacon took Radio 5 to the set at Kingsclere. In an interview with Penelope Wilton she said "whole villages were wiped out"!

To where and what was she referring? Antony

The interview was clearly about the British context. Richard Bacon interviewed other members of the cast and had walked through the building past all the bandaged men in khaki. They were of course filming the second series. What annoyed me about this is that if you visit a large number of village war memorials what is striking is the lack of names not the number. For example my birth village in the West Country had 78 men and three nurses who served but only six deaths.

My spelling by the way is as good as anyone on the Forum but not my keyboard skills!

This thread already includes some great internal ammo for the Royal Corps of Pedants, in spelling and grammar!

The very title has "innaccuracies" to set us off, and then the usually reliable Mr Broomfield gives us "will give we pedants". Perhaps he has been affected by the overnight score at the Rose Bowl.

D

I dont think the coat is intended to be period but I'm sure there are other things to pick on in this photo of Hugh Bonneville http://t.co/1spyrZ6

I enjoyed the first series and look forward to the second series starting. Its not often we get enjoyable entertainment on terrestrial tv these days.

Jonathan S

Jonathan,

I agree. I enjoyed it hugely. Solid acting and the whole thing looked lovely in HD. Really bootiful. Just the sort of fodder for 9pm on a Sunday.

I was approached by the writer of the book which will accompany the series, for permission to use a dozen lines or so from something I've written, so feel totally confident that at least one paragraph will be correct :lol:

Sue

I am happy to be corrected, but I believe "we pedants" is the correct construct. "Us pedants" (the alternative, I suppose) sounds rather oikish.

I was approached by the writer of the book which will accompany the series, for permission to use a dozen lines or so from something I've written, so feel totally confident that at least one paragraph will be correct :lol:

Sue

Wait until you see it in context!

I think we shall also find out that several members of the GWF appear in the next series in khaki. No names, no pack-drill!

I am happy to be corrected, but I believe "we pedants" is the correct construct. "Us pedants" (the alternative, I suppose) sounds rather oikish.

Hi Steven

I was going to send you a pm, but your box is full, no doubt of pms from us pedants telling you when to use the subject and object forms of pronouns....

Liz

I think we shall also find out that several members of the GWF appear in the next series in khaki.

Many times... many many times! :innocent::devilgrin:

My view is let's enjoy Downton Abbey for what it is - a TV drama, not a documentary on WW1.

Roger

Good Lord, Mr Broomfield, nobody would dare call us oiks surely.

Aye

Malcolm :thumbsup:

The interview was clearly about the British context. Richard Bacon interviewed other members of the cast and had walked through the building past all the bandaged men in khaki. They were of course filming the second series. What annoyed me about this is that if you visit a large number of village war memorials what is striking is the lack of names not the number. For example my birth village in the West Country had 78 men and three nurses who served but only six deaths.

Alan: Forgive an old colonial but I still don't understand. Until May last year, I had lived in Canada for 44 years (of my . . . . . . considerably more!). Since returning, I believe that I've heard of this programme but I'm not sure that it's shown in Scotland. Do I glean from your post immediately following my query that the lady was referring to the male population of English villages being wiped out by the misfortune of the War? If so, assuming that some males were babes in arms and some were in their second childhood, the comment would be literally inaccurate. However, in the context of the socio-economic viability of the village at the time, it probably wasn't too far off the mark, especially in some parts of Scotland, and should hardly be a target for even us pedants. Your further clarification would be appreciated. Yours, Antony

My view is let's enjoy Downton Abbey for what it is - a TV drama, not a documentary on WW1.

Roger

Exactly.

Were Scottish villages more badly affected than English ones? She was obviously not referring to the entire male population of villages. My basic point remains - the paucity of names on English war memorials is not in keeping with the scale of slaughter image that we were brought up on so to say 'villages were wiped out' is perpetuating a myth. The small relative number of names in country villages would have had little impact on the 'social and economic viability' of a village - whatever that means.

Three examples from my personal knowledge...

Langford Budville, Somerset - 6 names from an 1891 total population of 340

Milverton, Somerset - 30 names from 1562 in 1891

Henley in Arden, Warwickshire - 20 names from 1043

Alan: Forgive an old colonial but I still don't understand. Until May last year, I had lived in Canada for 44 years (of my . . . . . . considerably more!). Since returning, I believe that I've heard of this programme but I'm not sure that it's shown in Scotland. Do I glean from your post immediately following my query that the lady was referring to the male population of English villages being wiped out by the misfortune of the War? If so, assuming that some males were babes in arms and some were in their second childhood, the comment would be literally inaccurate. However, in the context of the socio-economic viability of the village at the time, it probably wasn't too far off the mark, especially in some parts of Scotland, and should hardly be a target for even us pedants. Your further clarification would be appreciated. Yours, Antony