Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown uniform

pooter

unknownuniform.jpg

I have been asked if I can identify the uniform it is thought that it may be British or Canadian. Any ideas?

unknownuniform.jpg

I have been asked if I can identify the uniform it is thought that it may be British or Canadian. Any ideas?

Any chance of a close up of the collar badges and shoulder titles?

Best i can do

unknownuniform1.jpg

Needs to be from the original--which hopefully will be sharper and devoid of pixels!! which I assume are a diminutive form of pixies!!?:D

Perhaps Imperial Russian going by the 'shoulder boards'?

I'll be first to jump in then...13th Hussars

Jon

The epaulettes don't look very British--rather think that they should be chain-mail type for cavalry? Could this be a continental outfit?

Sad old me. I was thinking in bed last night he looks Pre revelution Russian. Mrs looks very Tsar Nicholas period.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have asked for a better scan of the photo and have also been told that the photo appears to have been taken by Lang Sims, of Brixton Road SW. Funnily enough I thought the woman looked quite Russian.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have asked for a better scan of the photo and have also been told that the photo appears to have been taken by Lang Sims, of Brixton Road SW. Funnily enough I thought the woman looked quite Russian.

Imperial Russian Miltary Attache I suspect, as that would explain Brixton, being in uniform and the presence of his wife.

I have now received information that the uniform could be late Victorian. Could the epaulettes be from a musician?

Certainly look like the collars are surmounted by the Kings Crown to me....would Russian's wear such a thing?

Rgds

Tim

Certainly look like the collars are surmounted by the Kings Crown to me....would Russian's wear such a thing?

Rgds

Tim

The Russian Imperial crown 'badge' was similar in appearance to the British one and if you look at the large cypher on the completely un-British shoulder boards it takes a typical Russian form.

The curiosity to me is that he appears to have a Queen's South Africa Medal?

The curiosity to me is that he appears to have a Queen's South Africa Medal?

I've been thinking that too, an excellent match:

http://postimage.org/image/ubq9dlic/27639689/

Orthochromatic_QSA_KSA_ribband_comparison.jpg

found this on a site selling replica russian uniforms from various eras, this was the shoulder detail of what was listed as ww1 Imperial Russian does it help?

Rich

I get your point about the shoulder boards and titles FROGSMILE. I don't think the collars are the Russian Imperial Crown though....aren't Russian more like the Queens Crown in shape? I can't find any reference to Russians wearing such collars and as is outlined the medal ribbon doesn't seem to add up.

Does anyone have any Russian photos from the era?

I get your point about the shoulder boards and titles FROGSMILE. I don't think the collars are the Russian Imperial Crown though....aren't they more the Queens Crown shape? I can't find any reference to Russians wearing such collars and as is outlined the medal ribbon doesn't seem to add up.

Does anyone have any Russian photos from the era?

The shoulder boards are key (a good link from the previous poster) and I assure you that the Imperial Russian monarchy had a crown included in some of their military regalia. Checkout this link: http://ua-ru.com/bad...ntOfficers1.php

Russians also wore medal ribbons on their tunics, and in any case he might even have been given a British decoration, as diplomatic staff sometimes are.

I've sent a PM to 'Cossack' on the British Military Badge Forum. If he gets back to me I'll post his thoughts if he is not a member of this forum. Regards, Paul. -Medal ribbon does look British to me but he should be able to give an opinion.

Found a couple of similar photos...can't find any with collars though....both Russian...

post-1563-0-61478300-1299125754.jpg

post-1563-0-20072000-1299125806.jpg

Thank you for all your efforts, this query seems to have spurred a lot of interest.

From the same site again, this time a full view. Check out the pockets on the chest,they are also similar, unfortunately the chap modelling it hasn't got a moustache as impressive!!!:D

Rich

came across this on e-bay just now, LOOK!

Rich

came across this on e-bay just now, LOOK!

Rich

That's interesting, I'll ask my friend to do more digging into her relative's background.