Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Basra memorial

kawasaki

Guest Lucian1000

Thanks Billy will give that a try. It doesn't seem likely though due to all the vandalism but we can hope.

My grandfather's name is recorded on Panels 18 and 63. I would appreciate photos of the panels.

He was Pte Thomas Smith. Service Number 19255

9th Worcestershire Regiment

Killed: 20 April 1916 (Maybe posted missing according to family memories).

Because of the date, I assume he was present at the attempt to relieve Kut

Having researched the regiment's actions for the relevant date, I cannot find details or conditions of my grandfather's death.

I assume he drowned in the mud caused by the storms and deliberate flooding of the low lying land along the banks of the Tigris.

Can anyone suggest how I can get details?

It is sad to see the dilapidated state of the Basra Memorial. I hope The War Graves Commission will soon repair the damage.

David.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a small team working on the fallen of Winchester Training College, now King Alfreds College, and Facebook group  and know that some are remembered on the Basra Memorial, we are working towards presenting the details of the 60 by Armistice 100, I see the photos that are posted here and respectfully ask permission to use them as part of the presentation, bearing in mind copyright from within the group

• 3 weeks later...

Followers of this thread may be interested in another, more reccent thread - 

• 6 years later...
On 26/11/2012 at 15:24, Darren Evans said:

post-94896-0-05911000-1353943482_thumb.j

I only found out yesterday that my Great Great Grandad died in Mesopotamia in 1916 and is commemorated on the Basra Memorial Panel 34. A google search lead me to this thread and this picture by Darren Evans shows his name - LCpl A Warrillow, North Staffordshire Regiment. 

Thank you!

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Livie. If you want to find out more bout his service, I’d suggest that you start a new thread in the soldiers sub forum.