Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Basra memorial

kawasaki

Hi

Does anyone know what the current condition of this cemetery/or have photographs

My great uncle is buried here

Arthur Harry Rose

Corporal in the 1st/4th Somerset Light Infantry

Regards

Mike

I have some pics of a very dusty memorial as my great uncle is commemorated on Panel 34 and a member was kind enough to send them to me. If you want me to send them to your email address, let me know. I am currently on a laptop and the pics are on my home pc. Regards Ann (ann.james1@ntlworld.com)

Mike,

This is the Basra Memorial to those with no grave. Re-reading your post I guess you wanted pics of the cemetery.

The memorial's new location (Lat 30.411384 deg, Long 47.54734 deg) can be seen on Google maps/earth Click (use maximum zoom) there are some more photos available on 'Earth'

NigelS

I have some pics of a very dusty memorial as my great uncle is commemorated on Panel 34 and a member was kind enough to send them to me. If you want me to send them to your email address, let me know. I am currently on a laptop and the pics are on my home pc. Regards Ann (ann.james1@ntlworld.com)

Ann

yes please

cath_mike2001@yahoo.co.uk

dont suppose you have Panel 12?

Thanks

Mike

• 2 years later...

I got picture of relative's name (SINCLAIR) on panel for HLI .in Basra , just last week, Got it through CWGC photo project.

Mike,

I haven't got what you want i'm afraid, but as mentioned previously British War Graves might be able to help you.

Out of interest though, although much of the memorial is in a good state of repair some of it isn't.

The attached photo is of a panel for the Royal Garrison Artillery (I think) and there are several more like this.

Regards, BillyH.

post-41657-0-77291100-1352896840_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a photo from Rememberance Day, 2012. As you can see clearly, the years have taken their toll. I will post other pics shortly, and will have most of the plaques taken in the next few days.post-94896-0-18987000-1353942852_thumb.j

Nice photos Darren. Pity about the condition of the Memorial, but thanks for posting.

Clive

Darren

Should panel 50 have survived I would very much appreciate a photo sometime. I have been researching Captain Edward Bertram Fawcett 92nd Punjabis who is commemorated on that panel.

Keith

Hi Darren

Excellent photos!

If you have the time, I would also appreciate a photo of panel 22 or 63. My Great Uncle, Harold Arthur Holmes from the 2nd Dorsets is on there. Don't worry if you can't!

Fingers crossed, we should have the tablets photographed today. If i can't get what you need today, i will have a friend revisit in the near future.

All the best

Darren

I have a good few names listed on the Basra memorial so shall be keeping an eye on this thread.

Thanks for posting those pictures, Darren!

The panels I am looking for photos of are as follows

5, 23, 25, 31, 40, 42, 61, 63 and 64

I got picture of relative's name (SINCLAIR) on panel for HLI .in Basra , just last week, Got it through CWGC photo project.

The panel is number 35 and 64, Dont know why it gives 2 numbers

Two numbers (some way apart) for a regiment usually means that there are extra names on an "Addenda" panel at the end.

Echoing every other poster, if you get the chance I seeing the following chap who is on either panel 26 or 63 would be much appreciated:.

BOUND, THOMAS Pte Oxf. & Bucks L. I.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1655645

Name: BOUND, THOMAS SAMUEL

Initials: T S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 06/04/1916

Service No: 21442

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 26 and 63.

Memorial: BASRA MEMORIAL

Darren,

Thanks for posting, I would really appreciate the Leicestershire Regiment panel, I've got three of the Anstey lads on it.

Regards.

Llew.

All on Panel 12.