Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Basra memorial

kawasaki

Just wanted to add my public thanks to Darren for the photo of William Ormerod's name commemorated on the Basra Memorial.

As with so many others who've been helped through Darren's generosity, I never thought it would be possible to see a photo of our relative's name commemorated on this memorial.

Thanks again Darren.

I also add my public thanks to Darren for his assistance in obtaining photos of this memorial. His efforts are sincerely appreciated.

Luke.

or the three lads of the Bedfords on panel 41

Lt R N Balding

Pte F Jobson

Lt Col H Younghusband

Hi Darren,

As a matter of interest, did you by any chance photograph the Royal Garrison Artillery panels of the memorial? (Panels 4 & 61 according to the CWGC.) I remember from a much earlier photo (I think it was actually posted toward the start of this thread) at least part of one panel was in a very poor state. If you photographed them I'd be interested to know if you'd managed to capture the inscription for Bombardier Sidney Benedict Aldworth?

Many thanks & kind regards

Steve

Hi

Rather than bother Darren, can I ask if anyone has a picture of Panel 9, Royal Warwicks, please.

(very impressed with what he is doing)

many thanks,

Graeme

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Apologies for my absence, and i will reply to those last few requests soonest. I have been back in UK on compassionate, hence the silence. Just to give you an update, i have some photos from Baghdad North Gate cemetery but they are generic and specific requests will be dealt with now my friend knows where it is. I will post what I have on here shortly. On another subject, i have just received a call to say a friends cousin has secured me around 40 photos and a small video of Ammarah memorial, of which i will try and liaise with him to get them over soonest and reply to requests for those who need them.

Happy New Year to you all. Stay safe.

Darren

You am de man Darren. Hope everything goes OK for you this year.

• 1 month later...

Great pictures, thankyou Darren.

• 2 months later...

I hope everything is OK over in Iraq.

Rule no.1: Stay safe

Rule no.2: There is no Rule 2

Hello Darren, fantastic offer - I never thought it could be possible.

Echoing all previous posts regarding safety - if photos are available of the following names on the Basra Memorial I would love to be able to add them to my website on the fallen from West Berkshire.

Private Thomas EATWELL Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry Panel 26 and 63.

Gunner Edwin HALL Royal Field Artillery Panel 3 and 60.

Major Bernard Henry HOWARD 47th Sikhs Panel 56.

Private John PIKE Wiltshire Regiment Panel 30 and 64.

If Basra War Cemetery is available:

Serjeant H L ALLNATT Dorsetshire Regiment Grave III. C. 3.

Private Sidney WOOLDRIDGE Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry Grave III. T. 18.

There are also the following at AMARA

ALDWORTH E C H Sapper Royal Engineers Shaikh Saad Old Cem. Mem.

ALLEN A H Private Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry IX. J. 12.

GAY J H Shoeing Smith Royal Field Artillery Shaikh Saad Old Cem. Mem.

LITTEN F H Private Wiltshire Regiment XVII. A. 11.

TAYLOR C T L Corporal Army Service Corps XIII. J. 19.

And at Baghdad (North Gate) Cemetery

ADNAMS C Private Hampshire Regiment Angora Mem. 12.

BARLOW W E Private Hampshire Regiment XV. F. 1.

DEANE F Private Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry Islahie Mem. 201.

LAKE W H Serjeant Royal Field Artillery XXI. D. 48.

NASH R J Private Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry XXI. X. 13.

POCOCK J J C Private Hampshire Regiment XVI. D. 4.

TAYLOR O E Driver Royal Field Artillery II. C. 7.

WRIGHT L Gunner Royal Field Artillery VII. G. 3.

I'll PM you my email if you can help with any of these.

Thanks for raising my hopes - but don't worry about dashing them - safety first - it's only a website ...

Dear Darren

If there is a possibility of obtaining two from Baghdad and one from Amara I would be very grateful.

Thank you

Peter

BOOTHROYD, G W

Private

Service No:

Date of Death:

14/10/1916

Regiment/Service:

Connaught Rangers

1st Bn.

Grave Reference

Nisibin Mem. 222.

Cemetery

BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) WAR CEMETERY

TOLAN, T

Private

Service No:

Date of Death:

08/04/1917

Regiment/Service:

Connaught Rangers

1st Bn.

Grave Reference

IX. B. 9.

Cemetery

BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) WAR CEMETERY

CADY, A

Private

Service No:

Date of Death:

10/07/1916

Regiment/Service:

Connaught Rangers

1st Bn.

Grave Reference

VII. D. 10.

Cemetery

AMARA WAR CEMETERY

If the offer is still open the South Africa War Graves Project requires these men

ALLPASS, SAMUEL ROSSLEE

Rank: Captain Date of Death: 21/01/1917 Age: 41 Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) 185th Coy. Panel Reference Panel 41.

BROWN, HAROLD MONTAGU

Rank: Second Lieutenant Date of Death: 09/04/1916 Age: 28 Regiment/Service: East Lancashire Regiment "C" Coy. 3rd Bn. Panel Reference Panel 19.

COPELAND, RUPERT RAMSAY

Rank: Lieutenant Colonel Date of Death: 24/07/1920 Age: 27 Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery 39th Bty. Awards: D S O, Twice Mentioned in Despatches Panel Reference Panel 3 and 60.

EDWARDS, ALFRED JOSEPH

Rank: Second Lieutenant Date of Death: 10/04/1916 Age: 20 Regiment/Service: Royal Scots 3rd Bn. attd. 6th Bn. The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment Panel Reference Panel 6.

JOHNSON, BERNARD ANGUS

Rank: Private Service No: T/1582 Date of Death: 21/01/1916 Age: 31 Regiment/Service: The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) 5th Bn. Panel Reference Panel 6.

OHNSON, HOWARD FIFE

Rank: Second Lieutenant Date of Death: 09/03/1917 Regiment/Service: The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) 1st/5th Bn. Panel Reference Panel 6.

MAPLES, WILLIAM EVELYN

Rank: Lieutenant Colonel Date of Death: 15/12/1916 Age: 36 Regiment/Service: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) Commanding 6th Bn. The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment Panel Reference Panel 20.

MARSHALL, EVELYN SAFFERY

Rank: Captain Date of Death: 06/04/1916 Age: 29 Regiment/Service: Royal Warwickshire Regiment "D" Coy. 9th Bn. Awards: Twice Mentioned in Despatches Panel Reference Panel 9.

NORTH, HUGH FREDERIC

Rank: Captain Date of Death: 21/01/1916 Age: 28 Regiment/Service: Hampshire Regiment 1st/4th Bn. Panel Reference Panel 21 and 63.

STRACHAN, RICHARD

Rank: Lance Serjeant Service No: 5475 Date of Death: 29/03/1917 Age: 38 Regiment/Service: Wiltshire Regiment 5th Bn. Panel Reference Panel 30 and 64.

Many thanks in advance!

We also have graves at Amara, Baghdad (North Gate), Basra War, Habbaniya War and Mosul War Cemeteries

• 1 year later...

Greetings Darren - Just seen all your posts from 2012 and 2013 re pictures of various Panels on the Basra War Memorial. Any chance you have a picture of Panel 10? The name of one of our village 1st World War men Edgar James Goose, 2nd Battalion Norfolk Regimen killed at the siege of Kut al Amara appears on that one. Many thanks in advance - Ashwellthorpe

It is a long time since Darren visited the forum, so don't hold your breath. You might try sending him a PM. He was working in a dangerous place and I just hope that he is well.

Keith

For those still requiring pictures from the Basra Memorial, the British War Graves website seems to have this covered now.

Clive

I am interested in two men on the Basra War Memorial - Herbert Curry McCumiskey (Panels 26 and 63) and James Bruce Pearson (Panels 43 and 65) - and one in the Basra War Cemetery - Otway Trevor MacRitchie Leckie (III C 15) if anyone has access to any photos of these I would be very grateful.

Linda

Hi Darren,

just realised you also had a contact for Amara? I am interested in William Joseph Cornwall Laurie who is there.

Best wishes,

Linda

The panels I am looking for photos of are as follows

5, 23, 25, 31, 40, 42, 61, 63 and 64

Might you have receive photo of Panel 23? I would like copy if you can share:

GRANT, LOUIS BERTRAM

Service No: 7323

Date of Death: 24/04/1917

Regiment/Service: South Lancashire Regiment, 6th Bn.

Awards: M S M, Mentioned in Dispatches

Panel Reference Panel 23.

Memorial: Basra Memorial

Can I refer you all to post #90 please.

Keith

Saw the post, thanks. More query to anyone out there who may have image of Panel 23, or received copy through years and wouldn't mind sharing.

I sent a large collection of photographs of this memorial to the BWM site, if nothing else it shows what I believe is vandalism not wear and tear

SJC

Yes, I concur with your assessment, SJ. From what I've seen, appears age and locals have not been kind to this memorial.

Guest Lucian1000

Hi does anyone have a picture of panel 16? Specifically of an E Evelin. My grandad father would very much like to see his uncles memorial. Please message me and I will pass on my email if anyone can't help. Many thanks

As far as I can see he is not commemorated on the Basra memorial, he is buried in Baghdad (North Gate) cemetery.

Unfortunately the War Graves Photographic Project don't have a photo of his headstone.

I suggest that you post a request in the "Photos Wants" section of this Forum. You will need to have your fingers crossed given the location though!

See the following link :

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/57303/BAGHDAD%20(NORTH%20GATE)%20WAR%20CEMETERY

BillyH.