Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Basra memorial

kawasaki

Darren, lovely photos, thank you for keeping us up to date with the condition of the memorial. it's very beautiful, even in it's current condition, it must have been stunning when kept in good nick. It's very kind of you to take the time to photograph the panels for everyone, again. thank you.

Stay safe out there!

Great work Darren!

Could you do me a photo of panel 19 please? I will PM you my e-mail address.

Thanks for your trouble, and as Kim says - stay safe.

BillyH.

All requests taken on board, yesterdays visit was scuppered, attempting another one later on. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Darren

Thank you, but as others have said, please run no risks, our men have been dead for at least 95 years.

Keith

All,

A quick update for you. I am currently processing and analyzing around 140+ photographs. Once i have labelled, i will get round to answering your queries as best i can. Don't despair if you cant see what you need, another trip can be organised in the near future for any in depth information. Will get round to you all shortly.

It will be impossible to put all on here, so i will add a few, and any private requests can be made where i will send you what you want.

All the best

Darren

Darren

That is brilliant, but please edit your post to remove your email address. members can contact you by personal message, which will avoid putting the address in public view. In the meantime I will insert a space or two to confuse scanning software.

Keith Roberts

Hi

Does anyone know what the current condition of this cemetery/or have photographs

My great uncle is buried here

Arthur Harry Rose

Corporal in the 1st/4th Somerset Light Infantry

Regards

Mike

Mike,

If your still following this, i have posted a photo of Arthur Harry Rose for you. If you want to PM me your email address i will gladly send it on. All the best

Darren

Hi Darren

Excellent photos!

If you have the time, I would also appreciate a photo of panel 22 or 63. My Great Uncle, Harold Arthur Holmes from the 2nd Dorsets is on there. Don't worry if you can't!

Hi,

I have the Dorsetshire Regiment panel with your great uncles name in the centre. Unfortunately didnt get a close up, as time was limited. I am sure you will be able to zoom and edit. PM me your email address for photo.

All the best

Darren

Great work Darren!

Could you do me a photo of panel 19 please? I will PM you my e-mail address.

Thanks for your trouble, and as Kim says - stay safe.

BillyH.

Can you let me know the regiment/unit and/or name that you require, the photos we took didnt follow any sequential pattern.

All the best

Darren

The panels I am looking for photos of are as follows

5, 23, 25, 31, 40, 42, 61, 63 and 64

Hi Temptage,

Unfortunately i wont be able to go by panel numbers for what you require, can you either send the regt and names, or PM me your email address so i can get you what you need and if i have it that way. All the best

Darren

Darren,

Some overall views of the panels covering the Worcesters and Worcs Yeomanry would be appreciated, if you have them.

Darren,

Thanks for posting, I would really appreciate the Leicestershire Regiment panel, I've got three of the Anstey lads on it.

Regards.

Llew.

All on Panel 12.

Llew,

Not sure on panel numbering, i have 5 photos all of the Leicester Regiment. PM me your email address and i will gladly send them.

All the best

Darren

Hi,

I have the Dorsetshire Regiment panel with your great uncles name in the centre. Unfortunately didnt get a close up, as time was limited. I am sure you will be able to zoom and edit. PM me your email address for photo.

All the best

Darren

Hi Darren

PM Sent!

I can't thank you enough and as others have said, stay safe.

Darren,

If you managed to get a photo of the East Lancs panel - with the name of William Ormerod - I'd be really grateful for a copy.

Please can you let me know whether this panel was amongst those you were able to get photos of, and I'll PM you, if that's OK.

Regards,

Paul

Darren,

If you managed to get a photo of the East Lancs panel - with the name of William Ormerod - I'd be really grateful for a copy.

Please can you let me know whether this panel was amongst those you were able to get photos of, and I'll PM you, if that's OK.

Regards,

Paul

All the best

Darren

Hi Paul,

I have the panel with William Ormerod on, if you havent done so already, please PM me your email address and i will get a copy across to you.

Darren,

Some overall views of the panels covering the Worcesters and Worcs Yeomanry would be appreciated, if you have them.

John,

I have several snapshots of the Worcestershire Regiment panel, please PM me your address and i will send across what i have.

All the best

Darren

Darren has just pointed out an interesting feature.

He was good enough to send me a photo showing my man, who according to the CWGC was on panel 50, but below his Indian unit the 92nd Punjabis, the 93rd Burma Infantry, and some of the 114th Mahrattas is a separate panel section with no regimental header listing many men of the Black Watch who should be on either panel 25 or 63.

So it seems to me that when the monument was moved to its present location, many panels were probably just put together like a jigsaw without the pictures, - that is, if it fits, put it there.

Keith