Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Official Histories (France & Belgium) on DVD

dfaulder

(Not sure whether this is a pre-view and belongs here or goes elsewhere)

I got a flyer today from Naval & Military announcing that they are publishing on a single (Windows) DVD

• All 14 Volumes of Frances & Belgium Official Histories
  • Four Volumes of Appendices
  • Eight Cases of Maps
  • Transportation on the Western Front (plus maps)
  • Occupation of the Rhineland 1918-1929

at a RRP of £225+VAT this is a lot cheaper than buying all volumes, but £264 seems a lot for one DVD.

Any thoughts?

Check out E-Bay in a few Months/Weeks Time..no doubt you will be able to obtain this DVD and save yourself a great deal of money as well.

QUOTE (LenT @ Jun 29 2010, 05:28 PM) Just received an email to say that the DVD has gone off for pressing. Another couple of weeks to wait yet.

Len

Sounds to me a little like the builder who wants paying in full before starting work.

wink.gif

Nigel

Check out E-Bay in a few Months/Weeks Time..no doubt you will be able to obtain this DVD and save yourself a great deal of money as well.

I would be surprised if many of these surface on Ebay that quickly and keep in mind that they will then be up to full price with the early discount offer expired. I think this would tend to keep the Ebay price up. Personally, I think that they will keep their value quite well if bought at the early discount.

Remains to be seen though.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike

Your thoughts on the disc would be appreciated - the discount deadline is fast approaching & I'm stuck on the fence...

Regards

Brian

Brian, I have just had a quick look, and am impressed. It's the Official Histories ( France & Belgium ) on DVD. It does what it says on the tin. I had a slight problem with ' invalid image ' but my settings were wrong, with PDF files opening in Picasa instead of Adobe. Sorted now. I would be interested in the thoughts of others, who may be able to say yes or no, with greater authority than I, but so far, I am impressed.

Cheers Mike

Mike

Is it easy/possible to copy text and paste into a document? I'm doing the MA at Birmingham so the ability to paste relevant quotes would be useful. Useability would depend on whether the text had been OCR'd and so came across accurately.

Brian

I can highlight text, but when I try to copy to notepad " There was an error while copying to Clipboard. An internal error occurred "

Remember I have a lot to learn as far as computer skills go, so it is probably possible. Click and drag to highlight, but have not worked out how to copy to document. Tried file, but can't save. Will keep trying, and perhaps someone with more ' ken ' will be able to help.

Cheers Mike

Mike - thanks for the update.

Another of the MA students is currently trying to do the same - so if he succeeds, I'll post the details here.

Brian

Mike - thanks for the update.

Another of the MA students is currently trying to do the same - so if he succeeds, I'll post the details here.

Brian

I have had no luck yet. Could you ask if he can get " 1916 Apendices 2 " to work? It appears to be empty, but should have 33 appendices, Re; Tanks etc

Mike

I don't suppose these work do they?

CTRL+C copies (highlight your text first)

CTRL+V pastes

Cheers,

Nigel

Arrived this morning, 2 minutes before had to go to work. Have just had time to open it, but won't have time to play :angry2:

Cheers Mike

Dont you hate that !!

MC

Still no 1916 Appendiced 2, though it is possible, I missed ticking some boxes during installation. Am toying with uninstalling, and re installing. Don't you just hate technology. I don't want to put anyone off this product, if my lack of pc skills is the cause.

Mike

Had a brief play yesterday - looks good. One defect for me is that when you call up a volume apart from scrolling down you have to use search to find what you want in a volume. It would have been far more user friendly to have a contents page for each volume with chapters and headings within chapters clickable. Mind you the search facility worked well for the two examples I used.

Alan, does your 1916 Appendices 2 work ok?

I do seem to have a problem with the ER Viewer installation. Not sure if that would affect that particular volume of Appendices. Once I have worked out how to uninstall then reinstall ER Viewer, it may work. I found this ER Viewer warning.

2009-11-18 18:31:06,223 WARNING - Failed to load cPickled settings

2009-11-18 18:32:26,828 INFO - Writing registry backup to C:\Users\----\AppData\Roaming\Uniblue\RegistryBooster\backup\091118.183226.reg

2009-11-18 18:32:26,838 CRITICAL - Failed to write backup file, ex: Binary not implemented

2009-11-18 19:32:29,971 WARNING - Failed to json reply {} : (10053, 'An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine')

2009-11-18 20:32:29,815 WARNING - Failed to json reply {} : (10053, 'An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine')

2009-11-18 21:32:29,772 WARNING - Failed to json reply {} : (10053, 'An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine')

Whatever that means. Me and computers eh?

Am impressed with it in general, and hopefully any problems are of my own making, and can be rectified.

Cheers Mike

Naval & Military's response re cut & paste:

"Thank you for your email. Cut and paste, save and save as have all been disabled to protect copyright  - sorry. Unlimited printing is allowed."

While I understand their logic - this severely reduces the usefulness from my point of view.

Don't think I'll bother- which is a shame...

Brian

I'm forced to agree Brian. For me the pull of any electronic document is the ease with which one may quote from it using copy/paste methods.

Without this facility you are forced to type out your quotes or run your book or printed page through an OCR programme which can be haphasard at times.

This doesn't seem to offer much in the way of labour saving, or am I just being critical?

Cheers,

Nigel

I suppose the trouble is what is a labour-saving device to most purchasers is a business opportunity to pirates who could simply copy the whole caboodle onto CD and undercut the publishers.

Has anyone else had any problem with using the measuring tool or the " what is this? " function? It may be settings on my laptop, but while the ruler icon is present, and I can draw a line between two points, it will not give me the distance, only the number of cells. I have uninstalled ER Viewer, and re-installed, the icons are now visible, but not all functions appear to work. As I have said, this may be my own set-up at fault?

There is a problem with " 1916 Appendices 2 " I have been in touch with N & MP, and they will reply ASAP. The volume cannot be accessed from the Histories page, but the content is there, and can be accessed using the search function.

Mike

The DVD also assumes that you already have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. If you don't you should find a copy to install on the disc in the "extras" directory. If you don't have the patch yet, you can access 1916 Volume 2 Appendices either via the "search all volumes" option or by opening the pdf file directly from the disc (it's in the "histories" directory). You do neeed to have launched the application first, however.

The patch is simple and straightforward to install and works fine.

Naval & Military's response re cut & paste:

"Thank you for your email. Cut and paste, save and save as have all been disabled to protect copyright - sorry. Unlimited printing is allowed."

While I understand their logic - this severely reduces the usefulness from my point of view.

Don't think I'll bother- which is a shame...

Brian

Brian have you tried printing the relevant page on a 3rd party pdf driver (to produce another pdf file)? If so does the print file inherit the restrictions of the original?

3rd party drivers such as CutePDF, PDFCreator, etc.

David