Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Official Histories (France & Belgium) on DVD

dfaulder

I was saying This DVD will run on Vista win 7 ( and xp ) So it says anyway.

If you are saying, there is an easy-ish way to make a DVD play on any new system Windows introduce, then I think we all look forward to seeing your method :thumbsup: ...and am more inclined to by this disc if I know it will never be obsolete.

Cheers Mike

Ok it will run on vista and windows 7 .Im 99.999999999999 percent sure i have not got a SDGW to check it with .I dont want to give the solution if the .00000000000001 is correct .Our most valued founding member is doing what i sent to him in a Pm totally legal .When he gets back i will put up the solution .Im not stalling I just cant check it as i don't have the disc to test it .On the other hand if somebody wants it sooner all i need is to loan a disc as per my original Post ..how subtle does one have to be.

MC ..

Im not stalling ..

MC ..

:D don't think for a minute you are stalling, and welcome anything that helps us all. The only thing I am worried about is missing out on the best deal for this DVD.

Is it ever going to be cheaper than £175, and that deal won't be available for ever. I was worried about the possibility of forking out a couple of hundred quid, and a few years down the line finding it no longer works in whatever new system is next. Your method, and the reassurances from N & MP, are helping me decide whether or not to buy.

It might be that if people think it way over priced, that they won't buy it, and N & MP will be forced to reduce the price?

Cheers Mike

:D don't think for a minute you are stalling, and welcome anything that helps us all. The only thing I am worried about is missing out on the best deal for this DVD.

Is it ever going to be cheaper than £175, and that deal won't be available for ever. I was worried about the possibility of forking out a couple of hundred quid, and a few years down the line finding it no longer works in whatever new system is next. Your method, and the reassurances from N & MP, are helping me decide whether or not to buy.

It might be that if people think it way over priced, that they won't buy it, and N & MP will be forced to reduce the price?

Cheers Mike

Well i intend on getting it the new DVD soon so i can assure you it will work and if it doesnt 100 million to one i will buy yours. Mr Baker should be back to me soon ?

After the half hour or so permament fix there will be no problem if Chris has not got back to me i will post it anyway ,as i do see your point re the offer

Cheers MC

MC's fix is to create a virtual XP environment running under Vista. It can be done and the Trench Map CDs would run under it BUT you need to install a piece of free software and have an original XP installation CD. I suspect it is the latter that would make this difficult for many people. You could buy a copy of XP, but to be honest I think that would be throwing good money after bad, just for the sake of trench maps.

I can't comment on whether the fix would work under Windows 7. It looks like it should.

The N&MP comments about SDGW are quite right, but in most cases it is the trench maps CDs that have turned into coasters due (I believe) to the incompatibility of the C-Dilla licencing management that they incorporate.

N&M dont seem to do price reductions of a permanent nature on their headline products, but from time to time they seem to to 20% off everything weekends, so the current offer might well be matched in the future.

Keith

N&M dont seem to do price reductions of a permanent nature on their headline products, but from time to time they seem to to 20% off everything weekends, so the current offer might well be matched in the future.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I will bear that in mind. I have emailed N&MP, regarding Chris's point about the maps. Perhaps he knows of a solution.

Cheers Mike

MC's fix is to create a virtual XP environment running under Vista. It can be done and the Trench Map CDs would run under it BUT you need to install a piece of free software and have an original XP installation CD. I suspect it is the latter that would make this difficult for many people. You could buy a copy of XP, but to be honest I think that would be throwing good money after bad, just for the sake of trench maps.

>><<

Well, if you are "retiring" an old PC with Windows what-ever on it, you do presumably have a licence (and CD?) for that operating system and you can remove it from the machine being retired and install it on a virtual machine. Likewise if you are upgrading a machine's Operating System, you can install the old operating system back onto the same machine (but in a virtual computer).

(A virtual environment BTW, is a programme that makes an alternative (Guest) operating system (e.g. DOS or Windows XP etc.) run as if it was an application running on a Host operating system (e.g Windows 7, Mac OS X etc.). It runs in its own window and when you are in that window you are in effect in the Guest Operating system and can run programs that only run on that Operating System.)

Currently I am running two virtual machines on my Windows 7 (Home Premium) machine:

1. DOSBox 0.73 to run the DOS (legacy pre Windows) program Lotus Agenda
  2. Oracle/Sun backed Virtual Box 3.1.8 to run Ubuntu 10.04 Linux as part of an OU Course.

Both DOSBox and Virtual Box are free and (for me) configured first time. The Guest Operating Systems appear (based on a few week's experience) to work within the virtual environment and to be able to recognise the Screen, Hard-disk, Keyboard, memory and network, mouse and CD/DVD drive (last three not applicable for DOS Box). The limited number of applications that I have tried to run on the Guest Operating Systems have behaved as expected.

It is definitely clever software, but I suspect some copy-protection systems could cause problems (which is presumably what Chris and Mark have been checking out).

HTH

David

Well I have just taken the plunge and ordered up the DVD. Bang goes the beer money even worse the malt whisky money for the next month or two!

Len

Well I have just taken the plunge and ordered up the DVD. Bang goes the beer money even worse the malt whisky money for the next month or two!

Len

Len, did you get it for £175?

Mike

Plus VAT and P&P. £209 seems to ring a bell!

Len

Re posts 51 - 57: Bl00dy hell, what have I stumbled into! Did William Caxton die in vain?!?!

Don't forget, your Mk. I Book, Bound, Reader for the Use of, will be available to all users able to utilise the Human Eyeball Book Interface Mechanism for the next 400 years or so, on past performance.

(Fades into sunset muttering about Amiga 600 ... )

I can't comment on whether the fix would work under Windows 7. It looks like it should.

The N&MP comments about SDGW are quite right, but in most cases it is the trench maps CDs that have turned into coasters due (I believe) to the incompatibility of the C-Dilla licencing management that they incorporate.

Hi All, Chris is right and it works with windows 7 as that's what i am using now .And yes you need a XP install disk once the free software has been installed it works well and if you go to the link ... http://www.petri.co.il/virtual_install_vmware_server.htm ... it gives you a basic walk through on installing VMware server 1 or 2 this walk through is for version 1 but 2 is very much the same so down load the free Vmware server at the Vmware Website http://www.vmware.com/products/server/ .After this you create a virtual XP operating system by just running the Vmserver and then clicking on the new virtual machine button follow the prompts and you are done put your SDGW disc in and go for it .I will also put this in the using the technology section with a few tweaks to the process, its here because this is where the topic started

Regards MC

Well done MC. I won't pretend I understand it, but it's there, and it's amazing what can be done. Thanks for your efforts on that.

maybe you should get a job with N&MP) :thumbsup:

Cheers mike

Re posts 51 - 57: Bl00dy hell, what have I stumbled into! Did William Caxton die in vain?!?!

Don't forget, your Mk. I Book, Bound, Reader for the Use of, will be available to all users able to utilise the Human Eyeball Book Interface Mechanism for the next 400 years or so, on past performance.

(Fades into sunset muttering about Amiga 600 ... )

True but not good for finding all killed on a given date at once. MC

Yes, the full searchability of the entire OH is a great attraction - indexing books is always problematical with some indexes being a total joke. I can't comment on the indexing of the OH specifically. However the searchability effectively means the full text is the index.

The multiple haystacks of information are intact in all their bucolic glory but each individual straw is listed and has its position defined allowing the needles to be found.

I say this theoretically from a position of considerable ignorance having never use the OH DVD but with a lot of use of SDGW behind me. Has anyone yet used the OH disc?

As regards Caxton, Gutenberg and co, as great visionaries, I would imagine that they would embrace the new technology with enthusiasm regarding it as a natural development of their own activities. There's no doubt that the computer age has caused more printing to be done than William C could have ever dreamed of. He would be most gratified.

Received email from N & MP today

The Trench Map CD-Rom first appeared in 2000, over the years we have managed patch the disc to keep it running on new operating systems. This disc can be run on Windows 95 through to XP.

However it has now been superseded by our Trench Map DVD Rom, full details are here http://www.britishtrenchmaps.com/

All registered keepers of the old Trench Map CD Rom have been written to and offered an upgrade to the new DVD-Rom. A £50 credit is allowed when the old disc is returned. Many customers took up this offer and are now using the new DVD Rom which is compatible on all versions on Windows from XP to Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)

Mike

Full searchability may have it's downsides as well as it's upsides. A search for the word Haig may well keep you busy for a while ........ the index would probably be more focussed .......

If the whole of each book is reproduced, wouldn't the index of each volume be reproduced also?

Cheers,

Nigel

Full searchability may have it's downsides as well as it's upsides.

Martin,

Yes, I agree to an extent but must confess that I don't know if the search facility would be sophisticated enough to allow the modification of a "Haig" search with other terms.

That said, if you are suggesting that the DVD search would produce references to Haig not listed in the conventional index, surely that would be a good thing? Best to get absolutely all the references and then put aside those that you think are not relevant or interesting.

Regards Ian

Has any forum member actually got a copy of this DVD yet ... I am thinking of getting it and curious of any feedback from anyone who has it. Many thanks

Here's to the mark 1 eyeball. Think how much reading time you teckies have wasted on this sdo far.And how much more you're going to waste. Me? I've just been reading and smiling

Regards

Olf Art

Here's to the mark 1 eyeball. Think how much reading time you teckies have wasted on this sdo far.And how much more you're going to waste. Me? I've just been reading and smiling

Regards

Olf Art

About 10 minutes to write one of the fixes ,the debate has been 10 times as long :innocent: :innocent:

MC

For info, the offer price runs until 2nd August.

Well thats good I will get mine ordered on the 1st August ,Want ,pay, get only way to go....not want pay wait ,wait and get it some weeks and weeks later.

MC