Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Official Histories (France & Belgium) on DVD

dfaulder

The patch solves the 1916 Appendices 2 problem, and to be fair, it didn't take them long. The other issues I mentioned, the measuring tool, and the " what is this? " functions, are ER Viewer tools and as far as I now know, are not intended to be used with the Official Histories, but with other ER Viewer products .So I now have the Official History of the Great War( France and Belgium ) all fourteen Volumes. Four Volumes of Appendices, and eight cases of maps.Also the Volumes Transportation on the western front, with maps, and the operations of the Rhineland 1918-1929. The maps are very good. It cost me £175+VAT, how much would a set of the books and maps cost? You wouldn't be able to copy and paste them either.

Is it worth it? I would say yes.

Brian have you tried printing the relevant page on a 3rd party pdf driver (to produce another pdf file)? If so does the print file inherit the restrictions of the original?

3rd party drivers such as CutePDF, PDFCreator, etc.

David

David - I haven't got the disc

Regards

Brian

David, I have the disc, but not any of the PDF writers? or the skills to do it am afraid. I doubt if it will work, but it might be worth asking them

HERE

They can only say NO

Cheers Mike

David, I have the disc, but not any of the PDF writers? or the skills to do it am afraid. I doubt if it will work, but it might be worth asking them

HERE

They can only say NO

Cheers Mike

For Windows Machines

1. Download PDFCreator from SourceForge (a reliable download site), don't accept the option to download "PDFCreator Toolbar"
  2. Find the downloaded file, right click on it and run your virus scanner against it (should be unnecessary, but on the one occasion when I don't include this step ...)
  3. If (2) is OK, double click on the file to install it
  4. In almost any application, go to the Print Dialogue and you should find that you appear to have an extra printer called PDFCreator. Just use it and instead of printing to a printer you "print" to a pdf file. You will be prompted for the name and location for the destination file.

If I "ask", they will want to say NO.

David

David, I think the answer is no. Though my pc skills are basic. I managed to make this PDF file of Forum page.

r2mhp2.jpg

I get blank page with OH

Cheers Mike

Hmmmm!Forgive my gloating, but I just took delivery of Vol III of "Military Operations Mesopotamia". With a selection of maps in the back pocket, and a hand-written note from the original owner (of the 60th Regiment).

Operating System: Book, Hardcover.

Technical Requirements: Eyes, text, for looking at: Fingers, pages, for the turning of.

To Be Avoided: Flood water; temperatures in excess of F451; greasy finger foods.

I'm not a techno-Luddite but having the real actual volumes in my hot sweaty hands trumps a DVD every time.

Yesterday I received a copy of the Canadian Official History on DVD. $10 plus postage. Fully searchable, PDF, cutting and pasting as standard. And no patches necessary.

Chris,

Would that just be the Nicholson volume, which is available for free download as a PDF from various places, or is it a more comprehensive set of volumes - and if so is there a reliable source?

Martin

• 1 month later...

So it´s currently a fiver more than the original early bird price until 31.8.

Another N&M effort to get you to disturb those moths in your wallet.

So it´s currently a fiver more than the original early bird price until 31.8.

Another N&M effort to get you to disturb those moths in your wallet.

Aye, but the moths are now, firmly back in my wallet.

Mike

No, it's actually quite a bit cheaper!! On the link posted by Mike in post #134, if you scroll down you will see the Bank Holiday offer price of £180 - as opposed to the original selling price of £225.

No, it's actually quite a bit cheaper!! On the link posted by Mike in post #134, if you scroll down you will see the Bank Holiday offer price of £180 - as opposed to the original selling price of £225.

Yes, you're right Kim. I thought Ian meant ( a fiver more than £175 ) which is what I paid+VAT.

Mike

• 2 years later...

I thought I might revive this thread three years on to ask whether those who have purchased the DVD have been satisfied with their purchases.

I thought I might revive this thread three years on to ask whether those who have purchased the DVD have been satisfied with their purchases.

The DVD is excellent, and very useful. Pity I can't run it. Various windows updates have made the disk unplayable on my main machine. N & MP have issued patches that need me to delete these updates, in order to allow the disk to run. Not yet sure I want to do this. It will run on my old machine. Satisfied with my purchase? Sort of.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. What a shame that it is impossible to 'future proof' this kind of product. Amazon have had the DVD for £155 recently and I had been tempted.

Is this a Windows 8 issue Mike? I am running an up to date version of Windows 7 64Bit (Home Premium Service Pack 1, but without the dreaded Internet Explorer), and it works quite happily. This thread drove me to an urgent check as I hadn't accessed it for a few weeks..

Keith

I will fire up the laptop next as that runs the 32 Bit version of Win 7.

Naval & Military Press digital products and Windows upgrades do not mix well. I have a range of expensive map DVDs that I have decided can only be used as coasters, and I am not alone.

Keith. This a Vista issue. I have an old Vista machine that the DVD will run on, as I have not updated windows on it, and do not use it online, but once that machine expires, like Chris, I may have some very expensive coasters.

Mike

Mike

if you are running a later Windows machine as well, then it should surely run. In WIN 7 apart from never updating the .NET thin which I have never understood, and not using (or upgrading) any version of IE I have I think virtually all other updates installed.

Keith

I contacted N & MP and followed the advice they gave, which included, worryingly, to switch off my Firewall to install the patch. I did this and had no end of problems, and won't be doing it again. Even finding the correct update to switch off is not straightforward to a dude with ok-ish pc skills. Too much hassle, and just run it non my old machine. Heard windows 8 is a pile of ****, and don't wan't to splash out on a new machine with Win7, so will carry on with Vista, until it grinds to ahalt.

Mike

Personally I have found that I rarely use it as I have found out that I hate reading long passages of text on a PC, laptop, Ipad etc. Wish I had put the money towards building up a collection of original issued hardbacks. Still tempted but they are dear and not exactly the sort of book that turns up in a charity shop for a pound or two!

Len

I myself can only purchase the books as the DVD is not Mac compatible , I do prefer books though, and if looked after will outlast a DVD ,

• 7 months later...

Just got this DVD and I am not impressed. It is a shame because it could have been a fantastic product, but its usefulness is significantly limited .You can't copy and paste any text ,and, most infuriatingly of all, Snip Tool does not work on the maps.