Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Official Histories (France & Belgium) on DVD

dfaulder

(Not sure whether this is a pre-view and belongs here or goes elsewhere)

I got a flyer today from Naval & Military announcing that they are publishing on a single (Windows) DVD

• All 14 Volumes of Frances & Belgium Official Histories
  • Four Volumes of Appendices
  • Eight Cases of Maps
  • Transportation on the Western Front (plus maps)
  • Occupation of the Rhineland 1918-1929

at a RRP of £225+VAT this is a lot cheaper than buying all volumes, but £264 seems a lot for one DVD.

Any thoughts?

Totally agree a lot of work goes into the production of the first completed disc but after that easy money.I can see 100 pounds of cost as value for money for all the work but not what they are asking . Same with SDGW disc . Looks like another i will be waiting to fall of the back of a truck .MC

Source material is often sold at what could be classed as an inflated price, cheaper than buying all the books, but still expensive. A lot of consideration has to go into a decision to spend this amount of money on material which, for most of us, will be used to further our hobby.

I think I probably would buy it. I don't have the space to store the whole collection of books and a single disc would be easily transferred to my hard drive.

The price being what it is, is big money, but still offers a saving on what you'd need to spend to buy the full set in book form.

Cheers,

Nigel

If you are truly interested in all aspects of the war, yes go for it, as pointed out storeage can get to be a premium with countless books and the DVD needs no such space.

I recently paid over the odds for a veritable dictionary on gunnery, it is my main interest in the war so to me was worth every penny (cent or whatever).

Cheers David

The "early bird" price is £175 plus VAT. I agree that this is ceratinly not cheap but I think that this resource is simply a must for any serious student of the Great War.

Crucially, it is searchable. The blurb gives the example of being able to find all the references to "gas" in all the volumes pretty much instantaneously.

Of course, you can take it with you to the Western Front on your laptop and use it wherever.

I figure that once bought I should be able to recover the £200 pretty readily at any time if needs be - assuming that they copy protect it properly of course!

Hmm i suppose being in Australia i would not have to pay the VAT at the early bird price 175 pounds looks more tempting.

Thanks MC

I figure that once bought I should be able to recover the £200 pretty readily at any time if needs be - assuming that they copy protect it properly of course!

Ian, would 'copy protection' prevent me from protecting my investment by making a back up?

I bought the original SDGW CD when it first came out and it was in my laptop when that got stolen and was never recovered. It's only recently that I've been able to replace it. I'd hate for the same thing to happen to this DVD, although to be honest, it is more likely to be sticky fingers and bite marks that would stop me using this disc these days!

In contact I have had with NMP, they have said they would have been happy to replace my disc free if it had been faulty, or at the upgrade price if it had been accidentally damaged, but for obvious reasons, my ownership of an empty CD box wasn't going to get me anywhere!

Well as last option copy it to your desktop and usb drive and use those . That should work. MC

What format are files in does anyone know? I have a useless SDGW and several other NMP/IWM disks as they are no longer compatible with the operating systems on my computers. They make for an expensive drinks coaster.

Same here.

My guess is that they will copy-protect using AlphaDPS, so you will not be able to make any copy to hard drive.

£225+VAT strikes me as being at least £150+VAT too much.

Hmm i suppose being in Australia i would not have to pay the VAT

What is the name of that Aussie friend of mine?

Not techie but I presume the disc will have to be in the drive for use with some sort of unique identifier imbedded in the disc. If I buy the disc, I would certainly not want to see copies hitting the market at computer fairs as happened with the early SDGW.

I note that N&M already list this as a top seller on their website.

Well as last option copy it to your desktop and usb drive and use those . That should work. MC

And what are you going to do when the next techno change happens and they become as obsolete as floppies?

"And what are you going to do when the next techno change happens and they become as obsolete as floppies?"

Pay for an upgrade to the latest media, at 'discount' prices. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm not because I have all the books already and they were expensive enough without paying that price for the convenience of an easy search facility.

...but a search facility would be worth quite a lot.

My set is not quite complete, so I'm tempted. However, it is overpriced and, like Bill, I've some trench map CD's that I can't seem to be able to use any more so I'm concerned that a DVD may not have a very long life-span. At least books are forever and there's something very satisfying about sitting down with a chunky volume and flicking through the pages.

Also, if it's not copiable I'm concerned. I understand the reasons why it would be protected, but it's an awful lot of money for a piece of plastic that can be scratched or cracked.

Tempted but..........previous experience with N & MP CD's makes me cautious.

Cheaper than buying all the OH volumes as has been said though................. and much quicker searching.

Yes, N&M do allow you to upgrade their DVDs - albeit at prices that are no bargain in themselves - and of course, you have to return the old one.

This is a totally different product to the actual books and the search facility turbo charges the information held in the OH and adds accessibility making it possible to find the needles in the haystack of paper.

As I think about it , more and more a "must buy" - and in reality only 3 or 4 tanks for all that information.

They make for an expensive drinks coaster.

Use it to keep the birds off your strawberries.

Seriously, it does look tempting, but I haven't received the flier, which makes me wonder if someone is tampering with my mail. Mrs B gets in from work first ...

Not sure I understand the comments about searchability of the OH books. I always find the index very good.

And while on the subject, what a pity that the UK can not follow the Australian lead and have a free downloadable set of the Official History on the internet.

come on Chris only 2 posts to 10,000

MC

This is where I stop. Only bad things can come of any more. Did you know if you type the word "Google" into Google it actually breaks the internet? :lol:

This is where I stop. Only bad things can come of any more. Did you know if you type the word "Google" into Google it actually breaks the internet? :lol:

Strange you should say that i read ,heard that as well and did try it got about 4,000,000,000 hits the web is still with us anyway Congrats a great milestone

Thanks for the website

MC :P :P :

Shouldn't Chris be a Field Marshall with all them posts?