Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion Notts and Derby (sherwood Foresters)

mikebriggs

Hi Mike, I hope you are still active on this ! I was wondering if there was anyone in this Battalion called John Hulme during the war? I I know he was from the area and if he had signed up he would have been in this one.

Many thanks,

Susan2603

Susan

There are three men named John Hulme who served with the Sherwood Foresters in WW1 and one with initials J.A., Obviously a man being born and living in the area did not mean that he would join that Regiment/Battalion.

Tony and Susan

Mike is a bit busy at present and I do not know how often he gets on at present. Might be worth sending him a personal message.

Steve M

Susan

There are three men named John Hulme who served with the Sherwood Foresters in WW1 and one with initials J.A., Obviously a man being born and living in the area did not mean that he would join that Regiment/Battalion.

Tony and Susan

Mike is a bit busy at present and I do not know how often he gets on at present. Might be worth sending him a personal message.

Steve M

Hi Steve,

Thanks for looking, I'll try and get some more specific info on John Hulme

Susan

My maternal grandfather Thomas William Hadfield and his brother George enlisted on the same day, from his medals Tom's number was 26288 both survived the war. We have several group photo's which I hope to post when I get the hang of it, in the meantime I wonder if anyone can tell me how to find out which Battalion he was in, curiously we have a Christmas card from him late in the war from the Norfolk Regt although his medals are Notts and Derby.

Welcome

It looks as though they both moved to the Norfolk Regiment.

26288 Thomas William Hadfield - also - 42410 Norfolk Regiment

26292 George Hadfield - also - 42414 Norfolk Regiment

Have you got their Medal Index Cards from Ancestry (of National Archives online) Ancestry may also have their records, if they survived that is (Some 30% did)

26300 - was in 10th Battalion. I would have thought 9th or 10th but I have no record of them in 9th. Obviously moving to the Norfolk Regt clouds the issue as they are probably on the Norfolk Medal Rolls.

Steve M

Re Thomas William and George Hadfield - the N&D medal rolls show that men in the range 26259 to 26297 (with exception of 26293) all went overseas to the 16th Bn. As Steve indicates, you will need to find someone with the Norfolk Regt medal rolls to check for the brothers' battalion(s).

Stuart

Stuart and SteveMany thanks for the replies as a complete novice at this malarkey it has been a great help. My father recently passed away and whilst sorting through his papers I came across several photographs that I hadn't previously seen, hence my current interest. As well as my mothers father in the Notts and Derby my other Grandfather was a reservist who went to France as a driver with a RFAR battery in the 2nd Div. In 1916 he volunteered for Trench Mortars and served in both X and Y 2nd Div battery's, on forming they where in the line at Vimy but a week after the Somme offensive kicked off they were hurriedly moved to the Somme. During this period he kept a diary and this describes vividly their advance to the line through the blackened unburied bodies of a Scotch Regt pushing and dragging the mortars and ammunition on small wheeled carts. the same diary also mentions the execution of two RFA drivers for striking an NCO. In time I hope to research some of the casualties he mentions and hopefully make it available to a wider audience.I apologise if this is in the wrong place and any future posts I will put in a more appropriate place

Phil

• 1 year later...

7703 Cpl John Harris's medals are on display at the Loughborough Carillon War Memorial Museum. Can anyone help with is home address?

• 10 months later...

As part of a research project to commemorate those who died in WWI, I am researching L/Cpl Harry Brumby, who was in the Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 1st/6th Bn. and who died on 18 May 1918 in France. I would appreciate any information about Brumby or his regiment, particularly in the April/May 1918 period. Thanks. Sheila

Mike,

I've got 328 men transcribed from the Leicestershire county Absent Voters Lists as serving with the Notts & Derby Regiment, of which there are 11 clearly stated as being in the 6th Battalion, that's 1st & 2nd line or just 6th. If the information would be of any use to you or if you would like the whole list then please give me a shout.

Regards.

Adam.

Sheila

Welcome

Mike Briggs is the expert on 6th battalion.

I notice that Brumby came from Edensor (Chatsworth village). My family lived there for generations.

Anyway-

Soldiers died in the great war has -

Brumby, Harry, born Edensor Derbyshire, enlisted Chesterfield Derbyshire, abode Pilsley Derbyshire, 241493, L/Corporal, died of wounds, France and Flanders, 18/5/1918

(Pilsley had mostly estate workers)

Mike kindly sent me the war diaries, so if you send me a personal message (PM) with your email address, I will send them to you.

The medal rolls show him as only serving in the 1/6th and having a four digit number 4397 prior to being re-numbered.

Regards

Steve

• 2 years later...

Hi Mike,

I am a grandson of 240076 Sergeant John George Ravey 1/6th Battalion.

I am wondering if you are interested in this article that was published in the Derbyshire times on January 1st 1943.

Lieut.-Col. Victor O. Robinson, M.C. wrote it upon hearing of my grandfather's passing. This is a copy of the original article that my father handed down to me but has now perished with age. I have only recently known about this site. It is a great memorial for all those brave soldiers. 

Kind regards,

The Raveys

Sergeant Jack Ravey (1).jpg

Edited by Ravey

Hello

This is fantastic - such as great story - many thanks for posting!

You will find a few references to John Ravey here https://derbyshireterritorials.wordpress.com

and how he won the MM

https://derbyshireterritorials.wordpress.com/2016/05/15/on-this-day-15th-may-1917/

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

I've only just come across this thread and thought you might like the details of the men of the 1/6th in my collection?

Trev

Pte 7705 Alfred Atkin

Pte 2132 Donald Barber

Pte 2273 Robert Clarke

Pte 4077 William Linacre

Pte 1369 Fred Schofield

Pte 2401 John W Thorpe

Pte 2165 Fred Walker

Trev,

7705 was with "C" Coy and was wounded on 23.4.1917, during the attack on Fosse 3 at Lievin.

2132 was with "C" Coy and was wounded on 28.6.1915 at Zillebeke (Sanctuary Wood).

2273 was with "C" Coy and was wounded on 31.5.1915 at Kemmel.

4077 was recommended for a gallantry award.

1369 was with "H" Company (Whaley Bridge) 1/6th Btn.

BRONNO.

25 minutes ago, BRONNO said:

Trev,

7705 was with "C" Coy and was wounded on 23.4.1917, during the attack on Fosse 3 at Lievin.

2132 was with "C" Coy and was wounded on 28.6.1915 at Zillebeke (Sanctuary Wood).

2273 was with "C" Coy and was wounded on 31.5.1915 at Kemmel.

4077 was recommended for a gallantry award.

1369 was with "H" Company (Whaley Bridge) 1/6th Btn.

BRONNO.

Bronno,

many thanks for the info. I can add it to what I've already found,

Trev

Thanks Trev that's really interesting

And to Add to BRONNO

Pte 7705 Alfred Atkin

Posted to 1/6th Battn late 1916/early 1917 with one of the 26th-28th Reinforcements

Pte 2132 Donald Barber

Lead miner from Tideswall. Enlisted March 1914; Disc 12.5.16 (sickness)

Pte 2273 Robert Clarke

Limestone Quarrymen from Buxton. Enlisted 1st Sept 1914; Disc 1.5.16 (wounds

Pte 4077 William Linacre

Enlisted March 1915; “This NCO has done continuous good work while in charge of his gun team, his courage has always been a fine example to the men”; Service records on ancestry.

Pte 1369 Fred Schofield

Enlisted March 1911; Disc T of E 3.4.16; Service Records on Ancestry

Pte 2401 John W Thorpe

Enlisted 20/21 Sept 1914; Class z 10.4.19

Pte 2165 Fred Walker

Enlisted 21 March 1914; Class z 10.4.19

cheers

Mike

• 3 months later...

Hi I am researching Pte 2030 Richard Evans he joined the Chapel en le Frith Territorials in 1913 and was serving B Coy 1/6th Bn Notts & Derby Regt. He was killed on 04/06/1915 as part of a work party working on the lines he and Pte's P Heather, Joe Ford, James Greatorex died of their wounds and Pte's B Longson, Hassel & Lomas were injured. I would like to know if there is a diary of events leading to his date of death, with engagements by B Coy 1/6th as we are already aware of his training and service leading up to his arrival in theatre. If anyone can shed light on those few months from Feb to July 1915 I would really appreciate it as we are headed to Ypres in April 2017 to pay our respects to Richard "Dick" Evans who is buried in Bedford Cemetery in Leper, Ypres, kind regards James

Hi James,

Welcome to the Forum.

The battalion war diary is available to download (£3.45) from the National Archives - see here. It is also available on Ancestry here. His Soldiers' Effects record shows that he died in the care of 43 Field Ambulance.

Regards

Chris

Hi, firstly thank you Mike and Chris the information you gave provided is instrumental in my quest in a few weeks as we head over the water to pay respects to Pte Evans and have found the diary an amazingly detailed read despite the fact they were at war and still managing to capture and record vital information is admirable. I have purchased  Trench Maps which have arrived today "ironically" and they are of Ypres, Wytschaete & Zillebeke , we are booked into a small campsite which is next to the lake at Zillebeke and we intend to go on foot to the CCS near there as the Barns are still standing where casualties were treated, it says that 4 dead were outside on the 4th of July 15 and we are presuming that one of them was Pte Evans.

Our next quest is to find out the happenings of 14 Hy Battery RGA during the battle of Vimy Ridge, Gnr Charles T Purvis he was attached to 2nd Canadian Div and then supported the Canadian Infantry as they went in on the 9th April 17, He survived the war and even volunteered for WW2! the spirit of people is the like we will never see again, so they said no as he was too old but he did serve in the home guard. Anyway I'm straying off the point if anyone has any tips or where to look for the war diary of the Vimy engagement concerning 14 Batteries involvement I would be grateful. I am filming the whole road trip and will be posting to youtube and if permitted I will be posting a link on here to show what excellent help and work you have offered has done for us while over there.

kind regards James

• 6 months later...

Afternoon all,

just stumbled across this little gem when my local bookshop was having a clear out and reorganising...needless to say, I snapped their hand off.

Fairly self explanatory, what was of real interest to me is the name on the cover...Surgeon Captain Arthur Wilson Shea, R.A.M.C.promoted to surgeon major in 1915, and M.I.D. 4-1-17.

any other information would be greatly appreciated,

thanks all,

Dave.

image.jpeg.65eb35c0638476d1027414679b77aae6.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

any other information would be greatly appreciated,

thanks all,

Dave.

Derby Mercury 9.7.15

Chesterfield Officer Wounded

Surgeon Major A.W. Shea 6th Batt., Sherwood Foresters, has been wounded in action, but there is every ground for hope that the injury is not serious . Surgeon Major Shea, who is a brother of  Dr. J.G. Shea J.P., has written to his wife at Chesterfield stating that he was injured by a falling tree. Particulars are meagre   but it is conjectured that the officer and his men were going towards or from the trenches  when an enemy shell struck a tree, a flying fragment of which caused Surgeon Major Shea’s injury.

Stuart